Heading off for a little jaunt in the outback

Thanks for the positive comments fellas, I did put a couple of hours into compiling that report, selecting and resizing photos and posting the final product so it is rewarding to hear that you all enjoyed the read.

I'm not sure of the average age of the group but I do know that the oldest is 69 and that several of them are retirees. I'm 57 and I'm guessing that there may only have been 1 or 2 younger than me but one thing I can tell you for sure is that they all rode hard and partied even harder.

They really are a great bunch of guys, typical Aussie larrikins always up for a joke or a good yarn and always ribbing each other about their idiosyncrasies and playing little harmless practical jokes on each other. One of their little tricks was to keep placing odd items they found laying around in one guys jacket pocket, each day he'd put his hand in his pocket and find some oddball object had mysteriously appeared there, it might be a bolt or an empty condom packet or whatever they could find that would have him scratching his head and wondering how it got there. There was always an outburst of laughter if he discovered it when we were all watching.

If there was ever any problem with a bike or if anybody ran short of cash they were immediately flooded with offers of assistance. These guys would be taking the piss out of you one minute and offering you the contents of their wallet the next. An example of this was the fact that only next G phones worked up in the gulf country and only 3 guys had these phones but they were quick to offer anyone the use of their phone if they needed to make a call.

There is no doubt that a special friendship developed between us all on this trip, very special indeed.

T-boy

Rocker
Wow, what a great trip! Always wanted to visit Australia, but those fookin' big crocs have scared me off.

pepper

Street Tracker
Wow, what great fun! My wife and I really enjoyed reading about your adventure and seeing the pictures. :up:

DandyDoug

750cc
What a great post !
Thanks for sharing with us all.
My wife who rarely looks at this kind of stuff on the computer , was awed by the grandeur of your country.

nohawk

Rocker
Awsome ride. Thanks for all the pictures, those road trains are cool. Why does all the pubs have those xxxx signs hung on the outside?

GuyM

Street Tracker
Great report about a super ride Aussie_T100! Thanks. Looks like great country with darned fine people too. I like the way the fuel vs beer consumption works, appears to be a good ratio...

Why does all the pubs have those xxxx signs hung on the outside?

Not sure if the question is serious, but...
xxxx is a brand name of a popular Queensland beer, it's pronounced "four X"
We in the southern states would prefer to to drink our own urine than that stuff (well almost:))

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Awsome ride. Thanks for all the pictures, those road trains are cool. Why does all the pubs have those xxxx signs hung on the outside?

Not sure if the question is serious, but...
xxxx is a brand name of a popular Queensland beer, it's pronounced "four X"
We in the southern states would prefer to to drink our own urine than that stuff (well almost:))

nohawk,
What otherwise forgot to tell you is that there has been a long standing rivalry between Aussies and Kiwis. If you ask a Kiwi why Australians call their beer XXXX, he'll tell you it's because we can't spell BEER.

Ask an Aussie what do you call a Kiwi with 12 wives..........a shepherd.

It goes on and on, but we can't beat the buggers at Rugby.

Last edited:

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Aussie_T100, trust me, the time and effort you put in to compile your report has not gone un-noticed nor unappreciated.
Having put a few together myself, with less than half the number of photos as your report, I know how much time it takes.
In your case, the result was well worth the effort. Top job!

You've set the bar high though.

Thank you everybody, your comments are really appreciated - makes the effort worthwhile.

Wow, what a great trip! Always wanted to visit Australia, but those fookin' big crocs have scared me off.

Your fears are actually unfounded, crocs are only found in the far northern or tropical parts of the country and as long as you use common sense you are unlikely to have any problem with them. I've lived here all of my life and I can count the number of crocs I've seen in the wild on one hand. They do get the occasional tourist though - usually because they were doing something stupid:-

http://www.outback-australia-travel-secrets.com/crocodile-attacks.html

nohawk,
If you ask a Kiwi why Australians call their beer XXXX, he'll tell you it's because we can't spell BEER.

I always thought it was because they couldn't spell another four letter word that more accurately describes the contents. ;)

Oddly enough for a Queenslander my preference is for VB or Tooheys New although I will drink XXXX if that's all that is available.

nohawk

Rocker
Ha. Yeah I really didn't know about the xxxx beer but Wobbly's answer made my day. Funny stuff. You guys down there seem to be a cool bunch with a great sense of humor. Is Fosters beer very big down there?

Is Fosters beer very big down there?

It's a big country therefore things can vary from area to area. I haven't seen Fosters for about 10 years, except on English TV. As Aussie T100 suggested VB (Victorian Bitter) is probably the biggest seller, it's the one that I normally drink. Plenty of better beer available but the price goes up as the production volumes go down.

wobblygong

Street Tracker

Not wishing to put you off mate but these are a couple of crocs we came across on a trip to the Northern Territory last year.

031.jpg

Hellooooo breakfast.......

019.jpg

021.jpg

By all means, come down and visit us. Most of the crocs have disappeared now..........................the great white sharks have eaten them.

You guys grow 'em big down under!

That monument in the picture is a model of an actual crocodile shot on the banks of the nearby Norman river in 1957 by a woman school teacher Mrs Kris Powloski. It measured 28 feet 4 inches and weighed 2,980lb.

Largest Croc ever recorded (albeit unofficial) was caught by Aaron Saunders whilst fishing in Pioneer River, Mackay Qld, in 1932 & was shot from the veranda of the Leichardt Hotel in River St. It measured 33ft (10.05m)

Mackay is my home town by the way.

Boofhead

Banned
Good write up mate , i been on most of them roads myself but not on one ride , is the blue heeler pub still going out there ?