Header Pipes GLOWING!!??

cinemastar07

Scooter
Hello all,

I am new so don't beat me up. I am a new rider, have a 2010 Bonneville with just under 600 miles on it. EFI "mag wheel" model. Tonight I fired up the bike with the "choke" out to warm it up before a little night ride. After it running for a minute or two I felt light coming up from below me...both my header pipes were MOLTEN ORANGE and almost see-through with heat. They seriously looked like they were going to collapse and turn to goo. Is this at all normal?? I immediatley pushed in the idle button and they slowly cooled. Even took it for a short ride, but is something up? I can't say I have ever seen another bike do this. Do I need to take it for service asap??

Thanks in advance!

nohawk

Rocker
Ive seen bikes with the air injection stuff still on do that, now you get cool looking blue pipes. Welcome BTW

cinemastar07

Scooter
@ BonnieBret, Well yes - the "choke" -- I thought since it was EFI it was not considered a "real" choke..but yes.

@nohawk - thanks, yeah the bluing I don't mind...I did try the Bluebuster polish, but it did nada. Anyway, being hot and maybe a little red would be one thing -- but just how MOLTEN they looked ...really freaked me out..was a little alarming. I am due for my first dealer service and will probably be calling them this week - but with the pipes doing that I first want to make sure it is even safe to ride.

nohawk

Rocker
Its not a real choke on EFI bikes. But how long was it idleing? I would think that the fake choke would create lower exhaust temps since its making the mixture richer.

cinemastar07

Scooter
Right - not long at all Bret...I started it with the choke all the way out...started backing myself up...probably a minute or so...and noticed they were lit up like neon...

TC_Dick

TT Racer
Its not a real choke on EFI bikes. But how long was it idleing? I would think that the fake choke would create lower exhaust temps since its making the mixture richer.

it should make the exhaust temp hotter because there will be more unburned fuel that gets oxygenated/aerated in the header pipes by the AI system - but it's pretty unlikely that you'd damage the header pipes with the heat.

These bikes don't need long to warm up for the most part, I think I have my choke on for about a mile or so, then off it goes.. That said, i am riding a carburated bike so your results may differ.

nohawk

Rocker
Then I would say it due to the air injection emission stuff that is probably still on your bike,injecting air to prevent unburned gasses from exiting the exhaust. If you remove the AI stuff and plug the holes left in the cylinder head the exhaust temps will go down. Your bike should be fine I bet.

nohawk

Rocker
TC you are right I think. With the AI operating, conventional affects of mixture on exhaust temps is backwards. I have never put much thought in it since I yank the AI promptly.

koifarm

Hooligan
Not a problem cinemastar, most of them do that, at least from what i've seen around the board, mine do. It's more noticeable at night for sure. Mine's an 07.
Don't know about the efi bikes but mine does not take long to warm up, maybe a couple three minutes even on the coldest day...probably the best thing is to start moving asap and pop the choke in down the road a bit.
Your pipes should turn various shades of blue and yellow but a lot of us consider that a good thing...just shows you ride plenty. Have a look at the picture section on the forum and notice the pipes displayed there and you'll get a good idea of what's happening.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I had an old Harley that at night the headers would glow cherry red. And you know those air cooled bikes get hott. All of em do. The Bonnie has single wall pipes, ergo the lovely blue color on the headers.

The pipes are still nice and solid. As an experiment just tap em lightly with a screwdriver and you'll find out.

By the bye, when your bike is new everything that tics, clicks, clanks etc. are new sounds and just about everybody tunes into those sounds and frets about em. You have to live with the bike for a while to get used to it's idiosyncrocies.

Norvel

Two Stroke
I have the 2009 Bonnie SE EFI and that happened to me last year.

Was about midnight and leaving a visit with my Sis. I let it idle up with the choke on 1st position and the pipes went Orange - pushed in the choke and rode home.

Nothing adverse happened thus far sense that time - I just don't leave it to idle up with the choke on very long now.

The red is normal, but don't let your bike run that long to warm up. Fire it up, put on your jacket, helmet, and gloves, then hit the road!

Bonneville1

Scooter
Mines a 2009 EFI, Never had to use the 'choke' this year and i am guessing your summers are warmer than ours? I still have the AI connected and yes they do get hot but not to that degree, dont mess with anything! Take it back to the dealer it's still warranted.

Mines a 2009 EFI, Never had to use the 'choke' this year and i am guessing your summers are warmer than ours? I still have the AI connected and yes they do get hot but not to that degree, dont mess with anything! Take it back to the dealer it's still warranted.

there is no need to take it to the dealer.

cinemastar07

Scooter
Thanks all....it sounds like this is somewhat normal, I will keep my eye on it though. Could be because it was the first time I fired it up on a cold night, but they seemed SO RED that I am pretty sure it would have made a difference even in daylight. I usually only do the "half" setting on the "choke" and that always seems fine to briefly warm it up - so maybe I will stick with that. I will mention it on it's first service just to be safe. I know there are other threads and opinions on dealer service...but since it is brand new I figure I would let them do the first one...just to hopefully check everything out. Then I will probably do oil changes myself, etc. in the future.

Again - thanks all - glad to be here and on a Bonneville. Having a real blast so far.

Thanks all....it sounds like this is somewhat normal, I will keep my eye on it though. Could be because it was the first time I fired it up on a cold night, but they seemed SO RED that I am pretty sure it would have made a difference even in daylight. I usually only do the "half" setting on the "choke" and that always seems fine to briefly warm it up - so maybe I will stick with that. I will mention it on it's first service just to be safe. I know there are other threads and opinions on dealer service...but since it is brand new I figure I would let them do the first one...just to hopefully check everything out. Then I will probably do oil changes myself, etc. in the future.

Again - thanks all - glad to be here and on a Bonneville. Having a real blast so far.

While it's under warranty I think you'd be better off to do the "main" services at a dealer and just do intermittent oil changes in between. These bikes are super reliable and I honestly don't know if the warranty is void if a dealer service is missed but it's probably worth checking out and making your servicing decision based on whatever info you receive.

Cheers,

Pikey.