Hagon shocks.

albo

Scooter
Had my Bonneville SE for 18 months (june 09) and I am ready to improve the rear shock transmitters.I have fitted a centre stand and so want the correct length shock.Can someone tell me which to buy as they come in 340 and 330 mm lengths .The OE ones seem to measure 330 on the sidestand and 340 on the centre stand.Thanks all.

bs20ric

moped
Hagon usually recommend and supply the 34045 medium damped shocks for the Bonneville, which measure 340mm long - for anyone weighing between 75-100 kilos.

The standard shock length for the cast wheel 09/10 Bonnevilles (including the SE) is 330mm long. However ordering a 330mm long shock from Hagon will result in a "custom" build surcharge as a '33045' is not an off the shelf item at this time.

I have just fitted a 34045 SA1 (Black Wideline Classic 1) which has the stainless top shroud, chrome spring and black body at a cost of 155.50 delivered - I spoke to them last Friday afternoon, arrived Monday lunchtime.
Because of the angle the shock sits at the wheel itself is not actually extended by all of the additional 10mm and apart from making it slightly easier to put the bike on the centre the extra length is almost undetectable from stock. The tyre still clears the ground and seat height once on the bike is almost the same as some of the extra length is lost because of the softer than stock spring.

992fa48e-2.jpg

Last edited:

bs20ric

moped
NB

If you do decide to go for the 340 shock instead of the standard 330, do not leave the final drive chain adjusted with anything less than 35mm of total up and down slack (at its midpoint) with the chain positioned at its tightest point with the rear wheel fully extended (ie bike on centre stand).

At 35mm the chain will just run snug when the gearbox sprocket, swinging arm spindle and rear wheel spindle are all in alignment.

ric.

HepcatBob

Scooter
+++1 for Dave, too.

I ordered new Hagons for my T100. One end of one of them had an incorrect bushing and wouldn't fit. I called Dave and he cross-shipped a replacement shock to me. GREAT SERVICE!!!
(but as already stated above, you will have to tell him how much you weigh)

albo

Scooter
Thanks bs20ric for all the info.Everything I needed to know ,even a photo which is identical to my bike.I'll get on and order the parts (34045) and look forward to a steadier ride.

bs20ric

moped
If you decide you to tweak the front end with a pair of linear springs, instead of a pair of 'off the shelf' progressives... here's my link.

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tec...e-2009-onwards-linea-fork-spring-upgrade.html

After a bit of testing, despite the 'book' recommendation, I ended up with a fork oil gap of 125mm. to suit my ride preference.

The front forks no longer bottom out and the bike holds a really tight line in a bend whilst the footrest happily scrapes along the tarmac. No hint of any high speed instability either.

Bigted

Two Stroke
I went with the Hagon so-called "wide line" springs in the stainless steel, think they were $299.00 ...got em from Dave Quinn who was good. However if I had my time back I think I would have sprung for the Icons. I didn't really notice that much difference between oem and the Hagons. However I'm just 155 lbs and that may have something to do with it....they may seem alot better than oems for heavy weight guys.
The Icons come with adjustable damping.

Kappy

Two Stroke
Albo, very good choice. I recently changed to the Hagons ( 340, fit perfectly and had no trouble to install them). What an improvement that is. The Hagon shocks I have installed in all my british bikes as I just love them - not only for their great looks but they do just fit british bikes -:)

Kappy

Attachments

• IMG_001000.jpg
    IMG_001000.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: