Grips and the raised ridges on the throttle tube

gcrider

Street Tracker
Ready to change my grips. The ridges on the throttle tube keep anything that doesn't have the corresponding recesses (stockers) from fitting correctly. Any problem with shaving off the ridges? I always use hairspray to glue my grips on anyway, so I don't need the ridges to hold 'em in place. Probably need a big plastic disc to keep the inner grip flange from dragging on the starter switch pod. Anyone got a quick and easy source for those? I'd think they can't be hard to find.

tscram

moped
I don't know the answer to your question, gcrider, but have a grip-related question that it sounds like you have already dealt with as you obviously have your old grips off. I just got the gran turismo grips from newbonneville.com, but the hex head screw in the bar end caps doesn't seem to want to come off. It also seems that it is just a little bigger/smaller than the hex head keys I have. Any suggestions?

gcrider

Street Tracker
tscram,

Mine came right out. Were almost loose, as was almost everything else on my bike. I'm working from memory, but I think they're a 2.5mm allen.

Here's a quick tip for trimming the ends out of the grips - slide 'em on and whack the end with a hammer. The bars cut a perfect circle.

Last edited:

L Train

Scooter
gc, it wont hurt anything to grind the ridges off the throttle. In fact, when I changed my grips I noticed that mine were already ground down, I assumed from the factory since I bought the bike new at it still had the stock grips.

The hairspray trick works great for slipping the new grips on and making em stick. I also used the compressed air trick to blast the old grips off. Makes the job easy.

tscram, I dont recall the size of the allen key, but mine seemed to come out no problem. If you need a different size, I'm sure I've got it, ride on over and we'll set you straight. Also, if you bugger up your end screw, Im no longer using mine so youre welcome to have it.

Cheers