Great trip across the mountains

TeeBee

scooter
Hi gang

One week ago I did a fun trip from Oslo, across the mountains, to Stavanger. The next day I rode back, along the West Coast down South, then inland to avoid the Highways. It was a truly gorgeous trip, with lots and lots of twisties.

Some of the best biking-roads are in this area of Norway, and I even got to do the Suleskarveien, with sidetrip to Lysebotn. The sidetrip is just the most insane road ever: It is 32 kms (about 20 miles) of non-stop twisties. I swear to you that there is not a single 100 yards straight section along the whole road. Oh, and it is just one and a half lanes, so that you really do not want to meet a Dutch couple on vacation in their RV, when you roar around a blind corner.

The trip Westwards took about ten hours (with stops), and the trip home was just a little longer. Here are some pictures.

Here I had to cross the runway on a little-used airfield, to get to a good road across some hills outside of Notodden. The temptation to use the runway for some dragracing was definitely there.
2628693478_9b7848f34f_o.jpg

Here I just had to stop to enjoy the rural scenery a bit.
2628693482_da173bf822_o.jpg

This is where I came from:
2628693488_6cb0bf3173_o.jpg

And this is where I continued:
2628693484_5c25e17129_o.jpg

The traffic looks remarkably light (ie nonexistent), especially for mid-summer.
Glad you're getting out & enjoying the sunshine Thor. I hope you get plenty more rides in before the season turns.
The roads look real tasty.

TeeBee

scooter
More photos

I also stopped at the Eidsborg church, in Lårdal (Lår Valley) in Telemark. This is a small wooden church, of a type named stav-churches. The style of building churces is particularily Norwegian, and some say it is the only Norwegian contribution to the history of architecture. The church was built at the beginning of the 13th century.
2628693490_7ab587516b_o.jpg

This is a place named Dalen (the Valley) in Telemark. It is wedged between to mountain ranges, and thus the road to it is a sig-sag thing down on the side (you might see some of it in the photo). There is an old fantasy/dragonstyle hotel there (www.dalenhotell.no), and the start of a long river/canal that goes all the way down to the sea.
2628699088_bd47b20e79_o.jpg

Typical scenery on the way down from the mountain:
2628699092_6ebb45f5cb_o.jpg

Other side of the road:
2628699094_6a24729c84_o.jpg

TeeBee

scooter
Even more

Here is my favourite shot. This is taken along the Suleskar road (but not the super-twisty section down to Lysebotn). See also http://www.suleskarvegen.no/index.php?m=nyhet&m_action=vis&type=6
Oh, and yes that is snow you see as white. It was so cold up there that there were still patches of snow. I put on my long wool underwear (in Summer!)
2628699098_c78d805ec7_o.jpg

Finally, here is a shot of two abandoned houses in Jøssingfjord. The picture does not lie! The houses are in fact built under an overhang. If there is rain, they do not get wet.
2610229338_dea283932b_b.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed the photos.

Greetings,
Thor

It might be short, but the Scandanavian Summer is certainly spectacular. I've often wondered why you'd bother to own a motorbike, in such a cold climate, but I wonder no more. Even if you only used your bike for 3 months out of 12. It'd still be worth owning one, to ride through such stunning scenery in the Summer Sun.
Thanks for sharing.

Skinthead

Two Stroke
Those pictures are so good I was almost there myself! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!

i gotta get out of Alabama more.....too many good roads and grand scenery to be seen!

Skint

StreetT675

Two Stroke
Yep, Got to say thats a new candidate for next years holiday, absolutely stunning. Thanks for sharing those with us.

DavidC

Rocker
Stunning photos! Cool, the houses under the cliff. I'm not sure if I could get into a deep sleep with that tonnage hanging over my head.:eek:

Bonafide

NBR founder
Spectacular. Absolutely spectacular.

I hope you guys realize how enjoyable it is seeing these ride reports. I'll probably never travel/ride outside the U.S. again - so seeing these 'ride the world on Triumph twin' threads are even more special to me. Thanks for sharing.

GuyM

Street Tracker
Yup. I really enjoy these posts from "overseas." Also - reminds me of my one trip to Norway ten years or so ago. Beautiful - but cold in February/March. Didn't see any motorcycles, just a lot of 4x4 vehicles and cross-country skiers.

Anyone remember the old WW II movie "Heroes of Telemark" ? That was a good one! There's a whole style of skiing named after that region.

Thor - thanks for posting. Your photos also remind me of some of the scenery here at home in Washington, except we've got people all over the place!

Regards, Guy

TeeBee

scooter
It might be short, but the Scandanavian Summer is certainly spectacular. I've often wondered why you'd bother to own a motorbike, in such a cold climate, but I wonder no more. Even if you only used your bike for 3 months out of 12. It'd still be worth owning one, to ride through such stunning scenery in the Summer Sun.
Thanks for sharing.

Some insane folk ride all year round (with studded tyres!). Most of us are content to enjoy it for half the year :)

Yep, Got to say thats a new candidate for next years holiday, absolutely stunning. Thanks for sharing those with us.

PM me if you're going. I can definitely help you plan it out for some great rides. Unfortunately the Newcastle - Stavanger ferryroute will end soon, but there is a ferry from the very North of Scotland to Norway.

If I had enough room in our small flat (that would be appartement for our overseas friends), you would be welcome to stay.

Stunning photos! Cool, the houses under the cliff. I'm not sure if I could get into a deep sleep with that tonnage hanging over my head.:eek:

Maybe, you could after working 14 hour days.

Spectacular. Absolutely spectacular.

I hope you guys realize how enjoyable it is seeing these ride reports. I'll probably never travel/ride outside the U.S. again - so seeing these 'ride the world on Triumph twin' threads are even more special to me. Thanks for sharing.

My pleasure. Happy that you all enjoy the photos and stories.

Anyone remember the old WW II movie "Heroes of Telemark" ? That was a good one! There's a whole style of skiing named after that region.

Kirk Douglas as the hero. Yes, it is a classic. Even with all the faults and goofs, it does tell a true story. Just after the war they made a Norwegian film about the same sabotage-action, with some of the guys who had actually taken part, acting themselves.

Greetings,
Thor

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Beautiful area! It's gotta be fun to take a bike on on roads like that. There's a reason that a ton of euro-bikers head up North for bike trips. PLUS the daylight is good until past 10 or so I'm guessing.

I know an Austrian that totaled his BMW when he hit a moose in Sweden. He was in the cast to prove it too,

Louzilla

Scooter
That's some beautiful country to ride in...but I'm not so sure about the 1 1/2 lanes. God forbid you should meet an Italian family on vacation in their Alpha Romeo. You're done!