Got to ride one of these...

Goin-Commando

Street Tracker
Went for a 10 mile test ride on this one day before yesterday= this thing looks way better in person than in the pictures. It handles pretty sweet too. For the first few miles I thought "where's the beef?!" I mean this thing didn't feel anywhere near as powerful as the mag articals stated. Didn't even feel as fast as a regular Sportster... but then in one heavy twist of the throttle, as it whipped past 5000 rpm I found it= This bike is not like any Sportster I had ever ridden! Once it gets past 6000 rpm, the fucker screams!
Yeah I liked it, so I got the finances cleared and almost pulled the trigger on buying it, but was told it would go down in cost in a couple of months (first new model bikes to the area go for bigger bucks and the boss wanted it to actually hit the showroom floor first), so I'll wait.

xr.jpg

xr2.jpg

xr3.jpg

looks good, but man the FI models don't look as good as the old ones with the big carb hangin' off the right side, plus the cam cover/sprocket cover needs serious trimming, and I'm sure that factory exhaust weighs 30 lbs or more, but all together I dig it!

What's the deal with the power up top vs down low? Every 1200 sporty I've ridden had tons of grunt down low and nuthin' up top. Different cam profile?

I could see myself on one, maybe.

D9

Vendor
Man, I'm studying the pics... thanks for posting...I'd enjoy taking a test ride on one of those as well...

ricky

Street Tracker
I'm surprised they let you ride it.
Around here, Seattle, they are still selling the hype and not the bike.
Still, that's a lot of coin for that.

Bonafide

NBR founder
I dont follow Harley ... but i take it they're now being sold in the US? Wasnt it an 'only sold outside the US' model at first?

ricky

Street Tracker
I dont follow Harley ... but i take it they're now being sold in the US? Wasnt it an 'only sold outside the US' model at first?

Correct but HD is going in the toilet as far as sales go right now.
It will probably sell better in Europe.
That doesn't mean it won't sell here because there are still people that will buy "just to have" or buy it so you won't have it. :flag:

ssjones

750cc
With the right exhaust, that bike should look pretty cool. When did HD wake up and decide to sell in the states?

Texas94fs

Hooligan
I just.. . .i just dont like it. looks like it has way too much plastic. . . looks cheesy. I'd take one of the old ones any day of the week but the new one. . .keep it I'll save my coin

MOSES

750cc
Ehh.. The older bike looks tough but I'm not diggin the new one.

HD is lovin the hell outta that Orange though..

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I'm hoping Harley hit a market with that bike. I'll keep my Black but I wish Harley luck on that model. I know they can build a cookin unit if they've a mind to.:mad2:

Goin-Commando

Street Tracker
I like the look of the two Delorto carbs sticking out of the side of the original XRs too, but carbs are a thing of the past for most vehicles anymore.
I'm not sure what exactly makes this bike so revvy yet, but I'm sure it's influenced by Buell.

I got to ride it because I uncrated and set it up. The lift you see it strapped to is where I work.

Enough people complained that HD should have sold them here also, so they are giving it a try.
(I hope enough of those people can afford to buy them here.)

The price is kind of subjective, you could buy a new Bonneville for about $8000 and then spend about another $4000 on the goodies that it would take to make it as fast or a little faster than the XR is now. Or you can buy a super fast Jap bike for 12Gs or less... It all evens out and it all depends on a persons personal taste.

I like it and was prepared to go into debt for the next 7 years as soon as I laid eyes on it (and I might still).

T-boy

Rocker
1971HDFX_R_600.jpg

Maybe it's the color scheme, or the shape of the tank...My first thoughts wandered to the old AMF Harleys. The more I looked at it, however, the more it grew on me and I actually kind of like it. Don't think I'd part with the cash though.

Ben Quick

Street Tracker
I tried the Nightster and felt cramped. Im 5'11". Knees were high, and ass too forward without being able to shift back on the seat. Maybe this bike isn't so cramped.