got some new pipes

mikenva

Rocker
Well just bought a set of D&D 2into1 race pipes .The bad thing is there in town just missed the fed ex guy this morning.Got to go pick them up in the morning from the fed ex place.Cant wait to see how they work.Not sure i like the looks and hope it dont sound to much like a chain saw lol.I loved the looks and sounds of the preds I been running but i think the D&DS will give me a few hp.I cant keep the preds on this bike since i put the big motor together it breaks the weld on the muffler where the bracket is.Brit customs has been good as gold they sent me a 2nd set at no charge that lasted about 2 months.I think the problem is the preds dont have rubber between them and the bike and when you hit the 989 i think it twist more and has alot more exhaust vibs.The preds lasted 10,000 miles just fine on my stock motor so dont take it like im knocking them at all i still love them.

DavidC

Rocker
Yeah, those Predators do sound good; the audio clip someone recently posted was real clear and the sound came through. I like the look of the Arrow [?] exhaust that is directly underneath the bike. Sae a Thrux in the shop with those - way cool. It just seems as though they'd bang the road at some point.

ThruxTonUp

TT Racer
Hey Mike - watch speed bumps with those pipes - the guy that got the set we tried on the stroker bike went over a speed bump - caught the pipe - crushed it which brought the bike to an abrupt halt and he then high sided off it. They will not sound like a British twin any more, but its not a bad sound, just kinda smooth, more like a triple than twin sound. HP should go up.

- we put on the D&D 2 into 2 street mufflers and LOST 18 RWHP and 7 (across the board) foot pounds of torque, compared to the D&D 2 into 2 full race system. So we are currently working with D&D to see what we can do to get some HP, Fred knows the guy pretty well and he's as upset and perplexed as we are as to the huge HP drop with a muffler change. The culprit he thinks is too much reversion in the system with the smaller mufflers and big head pipes. We have a set of 1000.00 Supper Trapp ducati mufflers we are going to try out on the dyno - something tunable - so we shall see. I haven't done anything on the bike in weeks, too disgusted after losing all the HP with the muffler swap. Fred did order some longer rods from Carillo - 5.25 and a 5.50 I believe. So we can address the rod ratio. Going to throw on the PSI billet carbs and see what that gets us with these street mufflers - but not expecting much - unless we go back to the full race cans - they are just so hellish loud though. Makes mincemeat outta the harleys at bike night though:rocks:

mikenva

Rocker
yea john freddy and me talked about the hp lost.Have you put the full race mufflers back on yet and tryed to re-dyno it,not trying to tell you what to do but i would make sure the lost hp is all in the mufflers and not something that has gone bad .Would be easyer then trying new things and not knowing because something has messed up in the motor.You know how that goes anything can happen.
I think mine should be alot better with the pipes ,havent dynoed it yet but the uni filters picked it up a bunch on top the pipes should even do more.

ThruxTonUp

TT Racer
yea john freddy and me talked about the hp lost.Have you put the full race mufflers back on yet and tryed to re-dyno it,not trying to tell you what to do but i would make sure the lost hp is all in the mufflers and not something that has gone bad .Would be easyer then trying new things and not knowing because something has messed up in the motor.You know how that goes anything can happen.
I think mine should be alot better with the pipes ,havent dynoed it yet but the uni filters picked it up a bunch on top the pipes should even do more.

Thats the first step for sure - just don't feel like messing with it right now. Maybe Sunday we'll spend the day on the dyno and try some things out.

mikenva

Rocker
I am sure you will get it john, fred knows his shit.Cant wait to see what the psi carbs do .But as most good things they will take some work to get them right .With all the torque these strokers make i bet you could hardly feel it droped hp . I have had mine tuned wrong where it droped as much as 5 ft/lbs and it still would scare you when you hit it in first gear.The damn things rev so fast it the differance between fast as shit to really fast as shit lol.Have you had yours pick the wheel up going into 4th gear yet that will wake you up lol.

mikenva

Rocker
well i just got the pipes on and took alittle ride.Some good and bad i guess first it sounds like a oldder jap bike now.2nd all i can say is daaaaaaaaaam from 4000rpm this thing scares the shit out of me now.I think i am alittle lean on the main now its kinda dead below 4000 rpm .But if you roll on it at 4000rpm you better be holding on I need a higher rev limit now.I can hit it at 4000rpm in first the damn wheel goes up in your face at it bangs the rev limit with out putting the wheel back down before you can shift it.

wow, sounds cool Mike! I might have to think about those pipes in the future.

do you like the sound? how's the ground clearance?

pics?

Guys ,the hp and tq loss sucks .It is still there this is a street motor on pump gas ,that we could run much higher comp.These motors are the most exhaust sensitive that I have seen.Most of all we can fix and move on.The bike made with stock thruxton headers and dominators 97hp 71 tq, with D@D 2into 1s 102plus 68 tq , D@D race 103hp and 72 tq,but with the street mufflers we lost????.This does not mean that you would lose on any other engine combo,does work well on stock motors.We learn every day if you dont you will get left behind. FREDDY Keep in mind this bike has never been final tuned, this has been a test bike so no need. In all cases there was hp and tq left .

Last edited:

Vendor
Guys ,the hp and tq loss sucks .It is still there this is a street motor on pump gas ,that we could run much higher comp.These motors are the most exhaust sensitive that I have seen.Most of all we can fix and move on.The bike made with stock thruxton headers and dominators 97hp 71 tq, with D@D 2into 1s 102plus 68 tq , D@D race 103hp and 72 tq,but with the street mufflers we lost????.This does not mean that you would lose on any other engine combo,does work well on stock motors.We learn every day if you dont you will get left behind. FREDDY Keep in mind this bike has never been final tuned, this has been a test bike so no need. In all cases there was hp and tq left .

I agree about how sensible this big bore motors are about exhaust changes.
But if we look to use this big bore motors on street bikes, the D&D 2 into 1 it's really good.
Race systems can't be use in the street and if they have such a HP loss when people install street cans then they are worthless.
Having said that the Thruxton headers / Dominators combo still are an outstanding combo for street use.
I will finish my motor with them in place to have an accurate and realistic TQ and HP numbers.
Then at the end for bragging I will install a race system, velocity stacks and racing fuel to see the difference.

mikenva

Rocker
wow, sounds cool Mike! I might have to think about those pipes in the future.

do you like the sound? how's the ground clearance?

pics?
sound sucks sounds like a big 2 stroke when it gets on the pipe.ground clearance is not that good all though so far hasnt been a problem.LOL i am scared of speed bumps after hearing what john said.The tune on these things is strange i had to lean it out,had me going was thinking it was lean.It sounds so strange its hard to tell what its doing ,these pipes are for dyno tuneing they do some strange shit on the bottom and mid range they try to be like a bad ass 2 stroke not much power till you get up on the pipe then it comes on like a fright train,I am getting it alot better but still some tuneing to do.

Vendor
sound sucks sounds like a big 2 stroke when it gets on the pipe.ground clearance is not that good all though so far hasnt been a problem.LOL i am scared of speed bumps after hearing what john said.The tune on these things is strange i had to lean it out,had me going was thinking it was lean.It sounds so strange its hard to tell what its doing ,these pipes are for dyno tuneing they do some strange shit on the bottom and mid range they try to be like a bad ass 2 stroke not much power till you get up on the pipe then it comes on like a fright train,I am getting it alot better but still some tuneing to do.

Mike;
They produce an exotic sound, different...nice.
You can never know what bike is it unless you look.
That's so cool!

mikenva

Rocker
well i think i got it tuned now.Did i have some dumb ass simple shit throw me a curve.The damn battery cable was loose.When i would hit it hard at low rpms it would cause it to miss alittle,had me chaseing my ass trying to get the thing jetted right.pulled the tank to change niddles.My hand hit the cable and i said you dumb ass lol.Put the jets and niddle back where they where with other pipes and damn this thing will run.It dont mater what rpm you hit it in 1st gear it picks the wheel up and holds it up.I think it would do it in 2nd if it wont spinning rear tire is slick as my ass lol.I will get some new tires this week and be ready for the dyno.I am sure I picked up a bunch of hp with the filters and pipes.Can tell im happy now lol.

mikenva

Rocker
yep fred these motors are crazy touchy on pipes .You can move the power around with pipes like crazy.I think theres alot more to learn about pipes on these things.With my other pipes the thing was like a low end torque monster that was done before it got to max rpm.The new pipes put the power curve alot higher up the rpm range.It reminds me of the old h2 kaws now the way it hits the power band around 5000 rpm you feel like your about to come off the seat when it hits 5000.I love it lol.It makes this old mans arms sore now.Oh yea i know what 130 looks like on the speedo now .