Got a new gig!

sanjuro

Two Stroke
Hey everyone! Haven't been on the NBR forums much over the past few months, as I've been struggling with my finances and considered selling the Bonnie. Great news though. I landed a nice job, and I'm finally in my chosen field of Film and Video Production. I work at a rental house here in Atlanta. We have sound stages and rent equipment out to productions that are in town. It's a great way to meet people and network as well. I've already run into MSC66 a couple of times. Very cool to finally have a steady, paid job and learn about all the work going on in the region.

mark66

TT Racer
Congrats on the job man.....sounds like a great line of work. Now instead of selling the Bonnie you can save for a sister bike for her.:)

msc66

Two Stroke
Yeah for the love of god man don't sell the bike. A kidney? Yeah. Plasma? definitely but not the bike. Hey, when are they gonna get all that sand off the road over by PC&E? I love blasting those two turns going up that hill but not now.

sanjuro

Two Stroke
Thanks all. Hopefully others are starting to have better luck with employment as well. I wish the pay was good enough to afford a second bike. Perhaps when I leave to go freelance...

Apparently Jennifer Garner was there today for some preproduction camera tests. I'm not normally one to be star struck, but it's kinda cool being able to find out what's shooting (Atlanta has a surprisingly large production volume.)

Congrats on the cool new job and keeping the Bonnie. BTW, if you meet Salma or Halle whilst working, pass them my number..... :lol:

Cheers,

Pikey.

sanjuro

Two Stroke
Ha, ok. Gotta go with the Steelers...last time they won the Super Bowl the Pens won the Cup.

Update: I compromised...Pascal Dupuis wearing a Steelers helmet during the practice session for the Winter Classic. Steelers helmet and Heinz field, it counts.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Two Stroke
I dunno...should I go union? It's one of the areas I've been debating. The other main debate is do I want to go Grip or Camera. My eventual goal is Director of Photography. I'm just glad to be working at the 'candy store,' so many goodies. If I'm not mistaken we can take out equipment free of charge over the weekends :) Saw one of our Arri Alexas this morning, really want to play with that.

msc66

Two Stroke
If DP is your goal then camera or electric dept/gaffer is the route you want. I enjoy being a grip but I've forgotten more about shooting than I've learned in my time in this dept. Sure, I could go out in what little spare time I have and try and light and shoot my own stuff but why not get paid while you learn.

Oh, and there's no good reason to join the union until you're ready to go freelance.