Goodbye, Buell

MattRat

TT Racer
Harley just released quarterly report.

Buried in the pages these little tidbits -

"Harley-Davidson also unveiled major elements of its go-forward business strategy to drive growth through a single-minded focus of efforts and resources on the unique strengths of the Harley-Davidson brand, and to enhance productivity and profitability through continuous improvement. As approved yesterday by Harley-Davidson's Board of Directors, the Company will discontinue its Buell product line and divest its MV Agusta unit as part of this strategy."

I always wanted a Uly...

KingBear

Hooligan
I don't see that it will leave much of a gap in the industry. Some of the Buells are kinda cool but nothing terribly original IMHO.

FrankieD

Scooter
There is not a Buell in there line up that would get my hard earned dollars. I bid thee farewell, Buell.

sgt brad

Scooter
boy i'm glad i didn't buy a ulysses last spring as i would imagine that parts will become awfully hard to come by before too long.

pepper

Street Tracker
I look forward to seeing what new products Eric will bring to market now that he'll no longer be hampered by the Milwaukee corporate bean counters. I believe him to be a very talented and capable engineer.

In my perfect world Triumph would contract him to do a hotrod Bonneville, he certainly knows how to make a lot of power with only two cylinders.

DandyDoug

750cc
I watched the video on another forum this morning. Sad to see a mans dream crushed by a big corporations decision. I wish Eric and all his employees well.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Lets all raise a glass to an innovator and a visionary. So sad that his bikes couldn't find a large market. They are truly great bikes.

AceT100

Rocker
HD profits have fallen 84% in a year.......wonder how long its gonna be before they announce some MAJOR cuts........they really are being hit hard by the economy, and people just don't have $20+ grand to spend on a toy....Thats why I ended up with the Bonnie

Eric Buell is truly an innovator and a legend. I sure hope he lands with both feet, er tires on the ground and keeps sharing his passion and brilliance with the world.

EDG1911

Street Tracker
Eric Buell is truly an innovator and a legend. I sure hope he lands with both feet, er tires on the ground and keeps sharing his passion and brilliance with the world.

Ditto that. :ride:

I think after this I'm going to vow never to buy a Harley product ever again. Even parts or anything. Fuck Harley Davidson. :nono:

I hope Buell is sold and not just let rot. Maybe some investment group would buy it and they could keep making mcys. :sportbike:

whyme

TT Racer
Yes, very sad. I thought HD was using Buell to capture the lower end and sport bike market?? It kind of made sense with the price and styling of HDs. I guess that didn't work too well. I'm sure they will be spinning off Buell to an investment group or other manufacturer. Much akin to Land Rover, Volvo etc. Could end up being a middle eastern company!

Too much good marketing and products there for HD to let that just dry up. I'm sure this is just a capital raising effort by HD and if they are in trouble they will try and stick with their core business strategy and branding of pure HD products.