Good Night Irene

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I have to shake my head at the hysteria here. People who get scared are really scared. Me not so much . I understand that the big threat for NY is high tide at 8 am when Irene gets here. I'm on high ground with no flood threat. I expect some wind. Last winter we had a blizzard with 50 mph wind. Right now its cloudy in the Hudson Valley with light rain. I took my patio cushions in, I will stay off the major bridges until it passes.

One slightly interesting thing, I was down at the Hudson river today, its totally calm. But there were all kinds of mega yachts going north up the river. I saw 150 foot sailboat, and a motor yacht that had to be 4 stories high.

irishrider60

Scooter
In Litchfield County CT we are getting hammered with rain, the wind is picking up and the storm is suppose to hit NYC shortly. We still have power and internet, for now anyway.

em_dot

Street Tracker
Cary, NC is 2.5 hours from the coast so we were on the outer perimeter of the storm. It was pretty windy and rainy here starting about 5:00 PM on Friday until about 5:00 PM last night. Winds about 30 mph with gusts in the 40s. We got about an inch of rain, so no big deal. The coast is another story. I got caught in a squall coming home Friday. It wasn't supposed to start raining until later that night. Yes, I was on my Bonnie. I worked out OK. I'll have to wash her today though!

I'm heading to Emerald Isle, NC next weekend (after the Bull City Rumble) so I guess I'll see firsthand what happened on the coast.

My parents live in Westfield, MA and my wife's folks 15 miles away in Holyoke. They got this thing coming straight at them. I'm just glad that my brother still lives up there!

9mmMike

Scooter
Temporarily lost 2nd sump-pump last night and the basement started to flood. The pumps are on separate circuits but the primary could not keep up. Fortunately we caught it and got the pump running with only about 2"'s of water before we started catching up. It was a long night checking every half hour or so. We did not lose power which is not typical so that was a blessing. We got a tremendous amount of rain and are still seeing some pretty high winds but looking pretty good now. Tornado warnings in our town last night but we did not see any high winds at the time. That was a strange thing. Tired. Have got to get a "whole-house" backup generator and not this dinky thing I've been using.

Last edited:

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Ironically our rail trail is the main east west route in town now - its walkers only but the railroad spared no expense - built that sucker on rock, and 15 feet above the water.In a real emergency I could take my bike a block down it and hit the highway.

Last edited:

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
No , my house is well away and at higher elevation,I didn't get a drop of water in my basement..

However I have many friends and personal attachments in that village and that "river" is between my neighbor hood and the highway.

koifarm

Hooligan
No , my house is well away and at higher elevation,I didn't get a drop of water in my basement..

However I have many friends and personal attachments in that village and that "river" is between my neighbor hood and the highway.

Has it ever flooded like that before this year? And, where was the water coming from/to?

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
.. it was one of those days when everyone was out and walking around taking pictures, Even the old timers say this has NEVER happened before Its unknown to us in my town where the water is coming from, probably just from the drainage area of the old stream bed that goes out of town to the west. That is an area of old farms...Perhaps that area is underwater and its draining east into the Hudson river. Its been roaring for the past 12 hours with no sign of letup.

The town is full of wild rumors.... that a dam burst and the reservoir is flooding the town, that the bridge is going to fall, that they are evacuating a 1 mile radius of the gas line, that the waterfront restaurant and marina is gone.... all false rumors. People are pretty freaked out. It the one time I wish I had an SUV. They can cross the water. My car probably could, and some do but the cops are trying to discourage that "closing" the intersections... now in the dark, I wouldn't try it anyway.