glowing left header pipe

sgt brad

Scooter
i did a quick search and couldn't find anything on this here. i've heard that our header pipes have been known to get hot and even sometimes glow. last night i fired up the thrux just to let it idle for a little while in the motorcycle shed. she was on the sidestand with about 1/2 choke. i let her idle for about 5 minutes and was in and out of the shed during that time. after about 5 minutes i came in and found only the left header pipe was glowing. not only that, it was glowing to just past the first bend! i have always noticed the left pipe was more purple in it's blueing than the right which is straw colored. the bike has aek, ai removed, emgo slip-ons and a rejet with 145 mains, 42 pilots,1 shim and 1.5 turns out on the air screws. i had the bike on a dyno a year ago and she ran just slightly lean (14:1 was the highest a/f registered), but this was only sampling gases out of the right pipe. could having it on the sidestand be contributing to this? i don't think this is normal. should i try backing out the air screws another 1/2 turn on the left side? any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

tribear

Street Tracker
How many miles do you have on her and what year? May need a valve adjust and carb balance.....if it isn't efi.

DIRK

750cc
don't let it sit and idle so long. the newer bikes running lean will cause the pipes to redden up. we have had guys melt fairing parts by letting the bike idle to warm it up.

sgt brad

Scooter
it's a carb bike with 2800 miles. it shouldn't need a carb sync yet, but i'll grab my sync tool and check. i'm getting rusty on my carb adjustments, but won't opening up the air screw richen things up a bit? it seems that it's running a little leaner on the left cylinder based on the color of the pipes. thanks for the input. i was only letting her idle since she's not been ridden in a month or so and i wanted to make sure that the fluids were all doing their thing. i definately won't do it again.
brad

ps, i must be getting really rusty on my carb knowledge. i went back and edited the original post to fix the mistakes. thanks for the replies.

Last edited:
check for vaccume leaks, what kind of shape is the vaccume port block off caps? while the bike is running spray a little carb cleaner on the outside of the carbs and intakes, If your rpms change you've got a vaccume leak.