Gas dumping out of the airbox

TC_Dick

TT Racer
On a ride, parked, got back to the bike and gas was dumping out of the airbox. I'm trying to remembe what would cause that.. Stuck float?

I would guess it's a stuck float. Give each carb a good sound tap with a rubber hammer or heel of your hand. If that doesn't do it, drop the float bowls and give the float needles a dose of carb spray. Don't forget to turn off the petcock!

Another way to clear the blockage (if that is what it is) is to turn off the fuel tap, remove the float bowl drain screws then remove the fuel line from the tank end and blow compressed air through it. I've used this method a few times with success.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Another way to clear the blockage (if that is what it is) is to turn off the fuel tap, remove the float bowl drain screws then remove the fuel line from the tank end and blow compressed air through it. I've used this method a few times with success.
Cheers,
Pikey.

Sometimes it is a piece of trash/sand that has gotten stuck between the needle and seat. First make sure the motor is not filled with gas. Do not want to hydolock it. If it will fire up, what I have done to my bikes is rev the motor to about 5-6K rpm and quickly stuff a rag over the air lnlet of the airbox or at the inlet side of the carb (if the airbox is removed already) this will create a strong suction and usually dislodge any trash keeping the needle from seating. Make sure you have a good hold on the rag so it does not get sucked in to the carb. Then quickly pull it away before the motor quits. I have had to do this on the side of the road and with good results.
Good luck..

Allen....... Will ride for food !!

fender

Street Tracker
I had that happen a couple of years ago and asked for help, here is the thread. After I got it all straightened out I never had a problem since. I have on occasion forgotten to turn off the fuel petcock with no issues.