Gaiters or Not

loxpump

Rocker
I currently have fork gaiters but have never really been happy with the way they look. I've seen some that look great, like the ones I've seen on the Scramblers, but mine have about 4 more pleats than others which make them bunch up. I have also seen some that not only don't have gaiters but also have removed the stock fork protectors and run nothing. Is there a problem with damage to the forks especially near the oil seal that may cause a leaking problem? I'm kind of liking the naked fork look.

KingBear

Hooligan
I have the Triumph gaiters on mine (same as the Scrammy), fewer pleats but no sagging. I don't know that there's a big problem with the fork seals leaking, at least not that I've read on the forums. I just installed them because I like the retro look.

Bonniebret

Rocker
+1 on no sagging with the factory ones. I honestly couldn't tell you Lox about the leaking part. Unless you're off-roading or driving through construction sites I imagine it would take quite a hit to pit enough to cause a cut in the seal.

CAPTDON

Street Tracker
Gaitors

I have had gaitors on EVERY bike I have had since the 60's. Good for the dirt!! I also never did like the way they looked. The "naked" look was so more modern looking. The stone shields I wouldnt take off. You dont want any nicks on the tubes to to groove the fork seals!. Also keep the tubes clean after rides . I have an 04 & never had anything resemkbling a leak! So I guess you could say I agree w/ ya on this one.

DIRK

750cc
either way you go is kool. but the gaitors or the shields keep bugs from cutting seals. they will also keep the forks from iceing which will give you seal grief.

drlapo

Hooligan
just cut some pleats off
remove the lower hose clamp, cut off the offending pleats with a razor blade, stretch the gaiter over the fork slider, reinstall clamp= shorter gaiters

Oxblood

750cc
they will also keep the forks from iceing which will give you seal grief.

:huh: I have never heard of this, does this actually happen? 8 years of motorcycles as my sole form of transportation including riding while its snowing and have never heard of this.

--Oxblood

D9

Vendor
Like to see what they look like cut down like drlapo said - takin' this set off anyway, so why not? Other than that,
scram gaiters are the way to go.

Oxblood

750cc
Ice induced seal grief....that's some bad shit right there mang. Glad I don't live where winters are that bad.

Yeah you gotto club em to put em out of their misery. When seals feel grief over ice its the best way really.

sidreilley

Scooter
I can't speak to the iced seals, but a few years when I was living in Tucson and riding a BMW K100, I got a nick in a fork tube that cut up the seal to the point it was leaking fluid in pretty short order. Whatever did it occurred in the course of normal riding, no off road adventures and there was no warning. Had the BMW shop replace the seal and put gaiters on at their recommendation. I plan to install them on my Bonny in the near future, besides they look right!

loxpump

Rocker
just cut some pleats off
remove the lower hose clamp, cut off the offending pleats with a razor blade, stretch the gaiter over the fork slider, reinstall clamp= shorter gaiters

I don't have any hose clamps on them. The ends are snug enough to fit tight around the fork tubes at the top and also stretch around the lower section of the forks at the bottom. If I cut them off at the bottom I would need some kind of clamp to hold them on. I guess it's worth a try.
Here's a pic of what they look like.
bars1.jpg

Here's an old pic shortly after the fender was bobbed and apparently fork protectors already removed. I thought I put the gaiters on at the same time, but then my memory of mods are starting to blur.
bob4.jpg

Here's some differently looking ones I had on my 2001.
723e6cde.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have any hose clamps on them. The ends are snug enough to fit tight around the fork tubes at the top and also stretch around the lower section of the forks at the bottom. If I cut them off at the bottom I would need some kind of clamp to hold them on. I guess it's worth a try.
Here's a pic of what they look like.
bars1.jpg

Are they stock gaiters Lox? If so, check that you're forks have not sagged by lifting up on the bars. This happened to mine.

I'm not sure if cutting the gaiters would do the trick as I think the "sleeve" portion at each end is thicker than the pleated bit and the pleat might tear. Suck it and see I guess.

Lastly, hoseclamps would look bloody awful (if you guys call hoseclamps what I am thinking of - metal with a worm drive adjustment). Better to use black cable ties with the locking bit at the back of the fork and snip the ends off.

Cheers,

Pikey.