Fuse Panel Installation

ggRAT

Street Tracker
I'm installing a Centech AP-1 Fuse Panel along with a relay. Can someone identify a "swithched power" source that is near the battery? The attached photo gives me optimisim that there must be at least one wire in that "mess" behind the igniter (at least that's what I think it is).

(I haven't a clue about electronics. Really don't even know why I'm trying this!!)

Also, I found this source for electronic stuff. Take a look...
www.easternbeaver.com

GREG

Attachments

• Underseat Electrics.JPG
    Underseat Electrics.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 0

ggRAT

Street Tracker
Ben, you've got me!! (Remember I know nothing about electronics :)

I'm going to use the Centech panel for attaching my Veypor VR2, my heated vest, and in the future a GPS.

Ben, was it possible to use the OEM fuse box for the same purpose?

GREG

Last edited:

rodburner

Rocker
The red wire going to the tail light is a "switched" hot lead.Its down stream from the little plug,clipped to the fender,next to the ignitor.The wires upstream of the plug have the multi colored or striped wires coming into the plug. Its the handiest for my uses beside the existing fuse block.

loxpump

Rocker
Wherever you get your 12v from is going to be fused and whatever you use the circuit for is going to draw additional amperage. Make sure you don't exceed that fuse rating or you may have problems with blowing fuses. Not sure what a heated vest draws or if anyone else has had problems.

WetSparks

Scooter
Agree with using the supply to the tail light to switch the relay. The relay is going to supply the new fuse panel I presume. However, you REALLY need to put a fuse in the line from the battery to the relay. If anything goes wrong with the relay you will soon have a nice warm bum :eeek:

ggRAT

Street Tracker
Thanks a lot guys!

Rodburner: in the attached thumbnail, did I properly identify the RED lead?

loxpump: The vest draws 4.5 amps so should I connect it to a 5 amp fuse?

WetSparks: here's a picture of the relay kit I bought from EasternBeaver, which just so happened to include a maxi-fuse. Lucky for me!

AP1-18-new.jpg

(Someday I'll tell the story about my wife and the dryer connection I "installed." She's lucky to be alive!)

GREG

Attachments

• Underseat Harness.jpg
    Underseat Harness.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

WetSparks

Scooter
Looking good there. I'd show you a picture of under my seat, but what with the alarm, autocom and the remote charge and power system, its all getting a bit cramped :)

ggRAT

Street Tracker
Thanks, rodburner. If I screw up, I might have a "flat black" paint job like is being discussed.

rodburner

Rocker
Don`t sweat it Greg. Wiring on bikes or cars isn`t black magic. The Bonnie`s throw you a few curves with all the redundant black ground wires and multi function single wires,but nothing that can`t be fixed with a case of fuses and some black tape.:lol2:

loxpump

Rocker
5 amp fuse should be fine. You want your fuse to be less than the capacity of the wire you are using, which is more than 5 amps. In case of a short the fuse should blow before wire starts to melt.

mikenva

Rocker
thats pretty neat fuse box.I want to get a better fuse box and put all of mine under the seat.The stock box sucks with the fuses going in from the side like they do .Ihave had trouble with mine before.
One thing you might want to do is put loom around the wires going over the frame so they dont rub a hole in there selfs. That box clear the seat ok?

ggRAT

Street Tracker
thats pretty neat fuse box ... That box clear the seat ok?

Mike, no problem with clearances. An even smaller alternative to the Centech fuse panel is offered by Eastern Beaver. Really well made stuff.

Here's another option for installing a distribution block.

And below is the schematic I've been agonizing over for most of the week. I sure hope I've got this right :crazy:.

Attachments

• Veypor Schematic.JPG
    Veypor Schematic.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

bdavanza

Street Tracker
Greg
I didn't realize you were adding circuits, I thought you were replacing the stock one. Looks like you have it figured out and I agree, the relay triggering a direct (fused) battery lead to your new fuse box is the way to go.
-Ben

ggRAT

Street Tracker
Greg
I didn't realize you were adding circuits, I thought you were replacing the stock one. Looks like you have it figured out and I agree, the relay triggering a direct (fused) battery lead to your new fuse box is the way to go.
-Ben

Ben, you made me think of another question: does the OEM fuse box have an open slot or two?

If not, I'd guess the darn "bean counters" at Triumph are to blame. Having a bike "delivered" with 2-3 switched and unswitched "taps" would certainly be appreciated, particularly with all of the new electrical stuff available today.