Fuel Problem

menzies

Scooter
So I went out to the shed this AM to rejet my 03 Bonnie as was spoken about on another thread. I was just going to remove the bottom of the bowls,
after the 3rd bolt was removed gas starting pouring out with the fuel tap off.
I could push the float up after removal of the bottom and gas would quit pouring. About 3 years ago a friend helped me rejet and it was done this way but I do not remember gas pouring out like this. I know my fuel tap must be toast and will have to be replace. Your advice and input would be greatly appreciated, I will await replies before continuing, I do have the carbs off now and of course the tank is off.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Just to rule out the simple stuff - I usually turn off the tap, then run the bike until it sputters to drain the bowls, that way not so much spills. You sure that's not what was happening? There's quite a bit (a tbsp maybe?) of fuel that will be backed up in the line above the float shutoff....

menzies

Scooter
Fuel

Thanks for the input, it was the tap, I have another tank with a tap and fitted that one, problem solved.

I took the bike for a test run and it still takes about 5 or 6 miles to warm up. I fitted 145 jets, up from 135. I also cleaned the 42's. Something is wrong somewhere with the fuel/air and I cannot figure it out.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Thanks for the input, it was the tap, I have another tank with a tap and fitted that one, problem solved.

I took the bike for a test run and it still takes about 5 or 6 miles to warm up. I fitted 145 jets, up from 135. I also cleaned the 42's. Something is wrong somewhere with the fuel/air and I cannot figure it out.

Squirrels?

menzies

Scooter
Fuel

Could be some critters. The bike sat for 6 months while I was having my knee's worked on. Runs well after a few miles driving time just takes a while to warm up.

Mine takes longer than that to warm up fully, i.e. can idle without stalling and without me goosing the throttle or leaving the choke on. It runs great.

menzies

Scooter
Fuel

Mine takes longer than that to warm up fully, i.e. can idle without stalling and without me goosing the throttle or leaving the choke on. It runs great.

I agree that the carbed Bonnie's are inherently cold natured but I am having to leave the choke fully on for 5-6 miles and the bike will not run over 45 mph.
Before last Sep. when I had my knee worked on I would crank the bike with choke on then put my helmet/jacket/gloves on, hit the road then push the in after about 150 yards and the bike ran fine. This is probably something minor I just have to find it. I did chop the airbox, fit pods and rejet last summer but it ran fine. Thanks for the input.