Fuel Filters

Pete R

Banned
I must have a bit of shit in the tank (when dropping onto reserve) and have noticed some murky looking fuel when draining the righthand float bowl. I took the bowl off and there was this rust/oxide coloured crap glued to the bottom. Took a good hit of Ozone layer depleting carby cleaner to budge it. Interesting...

Anyway, yesterday I stuck a cheap fuel filter from the auto parts store in line. It's pretty clear so any crap will be easy to see. I must drain the tank and have a good squizz at the petrol tap and inside of the tank. Hopefully in the meantime the filter will catch any gremlins.

Anybody else use one? No stress, just askin'...

koifarm

Hooligan
Pete,
It would help to know a couple of things, how many miles on the bike? Have you ever drained and flushed the tank? What make and model is your bike?
Do you ride every day or infrequently? Using one particular brand of fuel all the time?
Any problems with cutting out?
Always difficult to pin down the cause behind the stuff in your bowl, that filter you installed will help quite a bit and is a good move.
You're correct about draining/flushing the tank, that would be a good move.

mikenva

Rocker
I have been runing a inline filter for a few years now .I pulled the screens off the fuel valve allso works great.The screens stop up from the bottom that causes it not to get as much gas out of the tank.

Pete R

Banned
Cheers lads. She's an '05 Thruxton with nearly 13,000ks on her. I got her in May and she had 10 on her then. I ride her every sunny Sunday (and whenever I can get out of driving to work ;) ) As far as I'm aware the tank and tap have never been cleaned or checked.

It was interesting that the crap was only in one bowl, the lefthand one was spotless. But I am going to drain the tank, clean the fuel tap and screens, have a good look at everything.

:)

Kingmoham

Scooter
I run both. I have for the last 4 years on my '05 carb'd Thrux.

The factory screens are still in and I placed a glass 'see through' in line filter along the fuel line and ran the fuel line along the right underside of the fuel tank for ease of viewing.

strokerlmt

I have to say no.....usually every 2-3 months when I have less than a gallon of gas left in the tank I will drain and take petcock off and look inside the tank. My bike is year round, I have heard that people that lay their bike up for the winter grow shit inside tank and carbs....
LMT

I have an older, restored Yamaha Maxim. It is a 1982, and when I purchased it (before resto), the owner had installed an in line filter like you describe. The dealer thought it was genius- these bikes were known to have some tank problems. The dealer switched the plastic line from black rubber to clear poly, and you can see the fuel going through it. No sign of blockage, and it keeps the cheese out of my carbs. I might install one of these on all 3 of my bikes, including the new Thruxton EFI that I bought.

DIRK

750cc
you will not wish to fit one to your fuel injected bike!!!!!!!!!!!!! the fuel is delivered under pressure. oh yah electric fuel pump. on second thought it could give a nice rainbow effect when the plastic filter blows apart woops!

Really? Is there that much psi to worry about it? The filter element itself is one of those porous "stone" style ones, not a paper filter. The clear housing, however, is probably plastic. I really liked the idea, but now you have me thinking. Visions of a new EFI Thruxton reaching its nuclear critical mass with me on board (due to a filter spewing out dino juice) is nightmare material.

RumRunner

Street Tracker
How hard is it to remove the factory screen off the fuel valve? Does anyone know the flow rate on the factory valve vs. one of the aftermarket ones?

ssjones

750cc
America's have an in-the-line filter (tiny). I replaced mine with a "Versa" brand filter from my local bike shop. I tried a cheap, autoparts store car filter, but the bike ran rough so I assumed it obstructed the gravity feed.

DIRK

750cc
ok guys and others, the twins run a nominal fuel pressure for 3.0 bar. that turns into 43.5 lbs. that is why NO PLASTIC IN LINE FILTERS!!