#&*&!!#% Front Turn Signal Bull SH*T!!!

barebo

Scooter
I installed the black Maund Lucas tail light with rear turn signals. My son is an electronics wizard, and made me a perfect wiring harness, and that went pretty well.
Finally had a decent day here in Central NY so I took a vacation day to clean up the yard and install the FRONT turn signals. Really no big deal - I hated to, but simply clipped the stock connectors from the stock lights and butt spliced them to the "New" signals and taped them securely.
Of course I had to put the battery in and appeal to the Gods for these lights to function properly.
I also got a sweet Mustang seat, and there isn't squat for clearance to get the seat screws in/out without scratching the new tail light, but finally got it off and put the battery in. Going to slide the key in for the moment of truth!!!
NO FUC*ING way is the key going to clear the "new" signal !!!???? I bought the "blanking biscuits AND spacers" from James and my key (2007 Bonnie) doesn't even begin to clear the signal.
Needless to say, I was pretty pissed off to have to grind off a significant amount of the plastic body to get the key to insert into the ignition switch.
I guess I'm relating this as a "Heads Up" to anyone that has the bike with the
"triangle" shaped key, and is planning on smaller turn signals mounted in the stock position.
I called James - great guy to deal with by the way, and he suggested spacers to move the switch in towards the headlight. Not much room to play with, and the alternative is the ignition switch relocation bracket - more $$$ to make the wife happy.
Guess I could have simply left that beautiful chrome bubble tail light and signals on.

barebo

Scooter
No doubt that's the only viable solution. I wish that I'd dry fit everything prior to having to castrate my key!!
I have access to some nice aluminum flat stock, and will pull the switch and make a template or 2 and fabricate a bracket. Primer and paint, and not spend the $$$. I will of course fit and finish it appropriately.

barebo

Scooter
I like that idea - my bike is the standard "Plain Jane" Bonnie with no tach. I've been riding since 1972, so I don't miss or need it to tell me when to shift.
I'm going to take a closer look up top - thanks for the hit TC.

ttbonnie

Scooter
I shaved the sides of my key down-
sadly I took it a step further before i found out it was needed. I pulled the bracket, stripped it, filled the holes and indents completely, re drilled the holes, had them painted professionally- bought the awesome english flag key fob...... and it did not fit lol

you will barely notice the shave side- had I known, or thought about exactly why relocation kits are prominent when new blinkers are put on :stupid2: i would have done so

Best
tt..

Time to put the ignition where it belongs, up with the gauges.

For sure.

6ACA4A2F-DA95-4763-B7C7-7EFAC18D359C_zpsarguwree.jpg

barebo

Scooter
Anyone have a suggestion for mounting next to the speedo - I'm "Tach-less", so there is plenty of room. The Joker brackets get a lot of press and praise - is there a similar piece made for single gauge bikes??

Anyone have a suggestion for mounting next to the speedo - I'm "Tach-less", so there is plenty of room. The Joker brackets get a lot of press and praise - is there a similar piece made for single gauge bikes??

Talk to Seth a.k.a D9, or look thru his gallery on this forum, I'm sure he's done something similar to what you're looking for.

barebo

Scooter
Well.....looks like I'm leaning towards the Joker bracket. I want to get inside the headlight shell and confirm that there's enough slack to make a comfortable fit, otherwise I'll see if D9 has a viable solution. I've seen his work and it looks to be second to none.
Your bike looks sharp as a tack bluesforchallah. I have the exact turn signals in black to match the Maund black Lucas tail light. Just sold my Dart flyscreen - I'm liking a more minimalist look. I'd like to change the stock bars - like the stance of the '68-70 Bonnies but am concerned that the width won't work with the stock cables. Thanks to all who've given your input.

barebo

Scooter
NO GO on the Joker or any other bracket. Unless I completely pull the entire ignition bundle - plug and all, from the headlight shell, there's no way there's enough cable length for an aftermarket mount. I've seen other bikes with the switch mounted on the frame gusset just in front of the tank. Not thinking it's ideal but on the right side there's ample room and a clear shot for drilling / tapping. With a couple of spacers, and some suitable bolts I can make it work. Not building the space shuttle, but don't want to half-ass cobble on a fairly nice bike either.

rkwfxd

Scooter
Thank you.

I then turned the original ignition location into a charging port.

Attachments

• 12 Volt Socket.jpg
    12 Volt Socket.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 0

barebo

Scooter
Having only a speedometer, the D9 option is not an option, albeit beautiful function and style. I bit the bullet, and drilled and tapped the frame gusset just forward of the tank and used 1/4x20 stainless allen bolts and 1/4x 3/8 spacers to secure the switch to the right side. It was basically the only option that didn't involve splicing wires or exposing the connector outside the headlight shell. Rock solid mount, and no longer an issue.

NOW...........how can I contact D9 for the slick ignition port plug??? I tried a few venues to no avail ???

rkwfxd

Scooter
Having only a speedometer, the D9 option is not an option, albeit beautiful function and style. I bit the bullet, and drilled and tapped the frame gusset just forward of the tank and used 1/4x20 stainless allen bolts and 1/4x 3/8 spacers to secure the switch to the right side. It was basically the only option that didn't involve splicing wires or exposing the connector outside the headlight shell. Rock solid mount, and no longer an issue.

NOW...........how can I contact D9 for the slick ignition port plug??? I tried a few venues to no avail ???

[email protected],

Also, not that you need it now but I think he makes an ignition mount for a single gauge bike.