Front springs

ricky

Street Tracker
Is there any difference between Ikon and Race Tech front springs?
Both are good. Both are about the same price. So... :confused:

uzidzit

Two Stroke
a huge difference,

the ikons are progressively wound, race tech springs are straight rate.

the question is what you want: if you just want to cruise, and not really ride it hard (like you Really mean it)or do a track day and you weigh between 135-210lbs. the ikons are ok if you run 5WT FORK OIL!!!

the race tech springs are if you really want it as good as you can get it, but you need to put emulators in along with 15wt-20wt fork oil. adding pre load adjusters is also a nice touch.

the progressive springs from a vstrom dl650 work very very well in the bonnie.

any spring for the sv-650 is correct for the bonnie, I ran sonic springs in mine and they were excellent and sonic has a wider range or spring rates.

if you let me know your wt. I can give you the correct rate for the track , or the street , I can also give you the correct drilling procedure for the damper tubes, thr rt inst. are incorrect.

ricky

Street Tracker
Wow, good advice. Way better pricing than the "name" brands.
What oil would you recommend for these?
(no track day usage or heavy racing, two up sometimes)

DL650 - 0.95kg/mm Sonic Springs $79.95

uzidzit

Two Stroke
you need to run

at the max 10wt. but I wold try 7.5 with the either buy it or blend 10 ad 5 half and half. the 10 will be harsh and will hydro lock on sharp bumps. run the lightest you can without getting more than 1.5 ocilations of the front during a real hard front brake only stop. (straight line and does not need to be real fast 20mph is ok, you just want to make the front end dive and check the rebound )

You may want to try straight 5 wt first, this is right for the progressive springs, but the straight rates need just a little more visc. to the fork oil usually never over 10 wt if the front has not been modified.

you may want to consider, the traxxion dynamics emulator and damping tube kit along with your springs, you need the kit for the 1999 sv-650 for the bonnie.

Last edited:

localmotion411

Street Tracker
the ikons are progressively wound, race tech springs are straight rate.

the question is what you want: if you just want to cruise, and not really ride it hard (like you Really mean it)or do a track day and you weigh between 135-210lbs. the ikons are ok if you run 5WT FORK OIL!!!

the race tech springs are if you really want it as good as you can get it, but you need to put emulators in along with 15wt-20wt fork oil. adding pre load adjusters is also a nice touch.

the progressive springs from a vstrom dl650 work very very well in the bonnie.

any spring for the sv-650 is correct for the bonnie, I ran sonic springs in mine and they were excellent and sonic has a wider range or spring rates.

if you let me know your wt. I can give you the correct rate for the track , or the street , I can also give you the correct drilling procedure for the damper tubes, thr rt inst. are incorrect.

I have the IKONs in my Bonnie with 15w fork oil, and it is too stiff. I had 1/2" PVC spacers in there up until a couple of days ago, and taking them out helped a good bit. But unless you're riding strictly on the track, you're going to want a much softer setup.

I'm changing my fork oil to 5w as soon as possible. Really like the feel of the IKONs though.

marthruxton

Two Stroke
When I did my F3 conversion, I went with the Reac Tech cartridge and springs. I gave the Race Teck staff my weight and told them it was for hard sport riding. They were pretty insistant that 5 weight oil was the correct oil to use. I weigh 185 pounds.
I have now ridden on the forks for about 5k and I cannot find any fault with the set up they recommended.

Jhtjon

Street Tracker
I have traxxion dynamics springs with 20wt fork oil. My bike handles great. Let me add that I am not small 250lbs with gear.

uzidzit

Two Stroke
there are several.

for starts:

from a thruxton
from a pre99 sv-650

just about any thin from an earlier sport bike with a 41mm kybo forks.