Free Mod

Leedsharlequin

Two Stroke
Couldn't find anything referring to this and thought it may be helpful to new owners or tight budgets
Being a sport bike rider, (although not expecting it to handle like one in stock trim) one gripe I have with the Bonnie is the front wheel " falling over" . I intend at some point going with a 17" front hoop, but in the meantime a simple improvement is sliding the forks up in the triple clamp to reduce the trail slightly. I went up about an inch and set the rear spring on the second highest setting.The improvement is definitly felt. Not as much fall and less effort to turn at speed. Also doesn't bounce for ten minutes after each bump.

make sure the fender doesn't collide with the horn. I wouldn't recommend lowering the front more than 10mm. You've gone way beyond 10mm by lowering the front end an inch (1" = 25.4mm)

Leedsharlequin

Two Stroke
I hear you. Good point. Did notice this as a possible isuue AFTER I'd moved em :) Did a few compression checks before riding. Put quite a few miles on since , trying several time to force the issue with straight line stops . Also dove pretty hard into several tight turns with no issues.
A valid concern nonetheless:worthy:

Update
Did a sportbike ride today at a pretty good clip. Rode with lead group all day, no issues. Damn that Busa........

Last edited:

DavidC

Rocker
.Being a sport bike rider, (although not expecting it to handle like one in stock trim) one gripe I have with the Bonnie is the front wheel " falling over" . I intend at some point going with a 17" front hoop, but in the meantime a simple improvement is sliding the forks up in the triple clamp to reduce the trail slightly

I do not know motorcycle engineering. How does a smaller diameter front wheel help things - and what is meant by "falling over"? [I assume you do not mean it literally].

I do not know motorcycle engineering. How does a smaller diameter front wheel help things - and what is meant by "falling over"? [I assume you do not mean it literally].

the front wheel is like a gyroscope. The larger the diameter the more stable it is, that is to say, resistant to change. So steering with a 17" vs 19" or 21" wheel will be quicker. That's why all modern sportbikes have 17" front (and rear) wheels, and why most touring bikes have 19" fronts (more stable on the interstate). Not to mention the weight savings of the smaller wheel.

Sportbikes in the mid eighties had 16" wheels. That lasted about 4 or 5 years before they decidied to go up to the current standard of 17". 16 was just too quick and unstable for most. Those bikes were designed for the smaller wheels but still left something to be desired. I just started to rebuild my 85 Ninja that has the 16" wheels. It's been in boxes for 15 years so it might be a challenge.
IMG_0774.jpg

uzidzit

Two Stroke
lower front an inch

And get THE BACK up about 1-1.25 " This bike will run with sport bikes in the handing dept but it. will never feel as light

it will out turn a lot of sport bikes on switchbacks, and will out maneuver them in really tight spots, it has a really small turning radius, hat gets smaller as the tubes come up and the rear goes up.

tires also make a diference the bt45 is poor, the SD has a more neutral and progressive turn in.

marthruxton

Two Stroke
Be very cautious when doing this mod. You might not notice anything at all then one day when you hit a bump at high speed you might get some unstability(tank slapper). Change in air pressure might even cause this.

And yes this is expierance speaking.