Footpeg Break Issue

strokerlmt

Hey Dude
Don't get your pantys in a wad. It was a link to a thread. A thread about a very serious safety related issue.
People can and do particapate in multiple forums. It does not diminish one forum by linking to another.
This just makes you look small and petty.

72......you have not been here long enough to understand. Relax, read, learn enjoy a very different place ;-))))
LMT

Personally I like thongs

Flaco

750cc
"On the other hand, she had a wart"

Just got back yesterday from my CNC guru that would not manufacture my "Stirrups" out of 6061 due to liability issues... I don't like the oem weight...
My present solution was to drill the skinny 8x1.25 mm mounting holes for the mid set pegs out to a 3/8" hole to accept aftermarket billet foot pegs w/ 3/8x24 mounts. Beefy and will mount and fold up the same angle as oem...
Better looking too...
Oh yeah, for all you vertically challenged individuals, you can fold 'em up to get them out of the way when "walking the bike" while your in the saddle!
Bingo...
Worked for me and best of all I have some oem pegs up for grabs...
I'll post in parts... they will be inexpensive...
Carry on...
Allin...

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
The footpegs fold back so I don't see how dragging them would crack the bolts....

It folds back if there is no pressure on them. I am sitting on the bike riding it so force meeting force and the resulting factor was a slow break in that bolt that is welded to the base plate of the clevice and as I said previously, there was play on the clevice each time I had the bolt snap. So technically I guess my cornering wasn't the guilty culprit but rather the clevice wasn't tightened down as it should have been.

Last edited:

510Triumph

Scooter
I had one of my foot pegs break off while riding on the freeway for no reason.

Wasn't on a turn, wasn't standing up, at that point I hadn't ever dropped the bike either. Took it back to the dealer for warranty work!

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I had one of my foot pegs break off while riding on the freeway for no reason.

Wasn't on a turn, wasn't standing up, at that point I hadn't ever dropped the bike either. Took it back to the dealer for warranty work!

It would be my guess that either the clevice was not torqued down properly or it worked itself loose. As Bonza already posted, if the torque is lost on these clevices, then the pressure goes from the plate itself of the clevice to the bolt which it will eventually crack/snap/break if not corrected. It doesn't matter how it is done...turning, standing, dropping...if the pressure goes from that plate to just that bolt, then that bolt is going to give. Locktite and a torque wrench is your friend!

Twodogs

Street Tracker
The thruxton foot pegs are also prone to breaking but it is the peg itself that breaks very easily at the pivot pin when the bike is dropped so this is something to look at if you ever drop a thruxton. The right hand side one is prone to breakage due to the position of the break master cylinder guard. As the peg folds in during the event of a fall, it contacts the guard and is actually pushed or forced on another angle to its actual design therefore putting more weight on the pivot pin area which is a weak area because of the hole and it cracks. They are also very expensive to replace (Australian $100 each without rubber). I replaced mine with oberon's.

The Bonnies I think just need to made sure that they are kept tight at the mounting bolt nut. I checked mine and they are super tight (FT Specs) so I will be including this check on my weekly check list from now on. Visual all over check, Tyre condition and pressure, chain tension and lube, lights, Brakes opp and condition, Suspension travel, headset, wheels and swing arm bearing movement, leaks and squeaks, oil level and now foot peg bolt tension..... Anything I might of missed??

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
The Bonnies I think just need to made sure that they are kept tight at the mounting bolt nut. I checked mine and they are super tight (FT Specs) so I will be including this check on my weekly check list from now on. Visual all over check, Tyre condition and pressure, chain tension and lube, lights, Brakes opp and condition, Suspension travel, headset, wheels and swing arm bearing movement, leaks and squeaks, oil level and now foot peg bolt tension..... Anything I might of missed??

I think that is a pretty thorough checklist for a weekly check! Nothing wrong with that at all as eyes on your bike is a good thing. Maybe a weekly or monthly wash...it seems for me that washing the bike is a great time for me to bend my ass over the bike and really fine comb over it visually. I have found more quirks and items just by simply washing it.

Another thing I have gotten in the habit in doing is occasionally doing the fleabay search for stock parts and made up a bench stock for myself. I recently bought a 80% complete kit that consisted of bolts, nuts, screws, fasteners, washers and everything under the sun that came off a totaled 2008 Bonnie. The guy was salvaging what he could off his bike to sell. I got all these items for a whopping $50. The thing has already paid for itself as I had two rotor bolts start to strip on my Creamsicle. Has anyone looked up the cost for what they want for a stock button head rotor bolt??! HOLY SHIT! I started searching for this largely because of the clevice situation that I went through.

LoVel

Two Stroke
The Scrambler is a totally different setup. I have not heard of anyone having this issue on a Scrambler.

Bonafide

NBR founder
The Scrambler is a totally different setup. I have not heard of anyone having this issue on a Scrambler.

Isn't also kinda hard to peg scrape a Scram? I think the main issue is people scrapin the crap out of their pegs or a break occurred after the bike had been dropped.

The key point which was made early in this thread - this is not an issue under normal use.

LoVel

Two Stroke
Isn't also kinda hard to peg scrape a Scram? I think the main issue is people scrapin the crap out of their pegs or a break occurred after the bike had been dropped.

The key point which was made early in this thread - this is not an issue under normal use.

Don't forget proper torque on the foot peg bolts. Someone mentioned the correct number earlier.

Not too hard to scrape the pegs. I have done it in downtown Bham.

whyme

TT Racer
I do scrape mine from time to time. I also broke one off when it fell over...they don't look to be very strong...looks like cheap castings

KingBear

Hooligan
I was surprised to feel my pegs scraping as I was rounding a corner a few days ago. I don't do it often but it's not very difficult to do, especially if you're a big guy and your bike sits a bit low.

rodhotter

Scooter
beside the bolt issues i had seen pics of the porous alum casting after a failure, something to remember as most stand up on the pegs from time to time, maybe a cheap set of overweight harley pegs for a cure also kuryakyn has pegs with adapters to suit our bonnies but most are too BLINGY for me