Footpeg Break Issue

72Pantera

Banned
I am new to this forum and maybe missed this issue being discussed. It appears that foot pegs are breaking under normal use.

See the forum threads at "Rat"

edited by Admin

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Agree to the trat comments.

I have had this problem as well on the foot clevices where the screw welds to the housing. The weld will break if you scrape a lot so I started dipping the front of my boot when heading into turns for a guide. I don't know about the standing thing though...it would seem more important to lose weight in my opinion. I am at 240 pounds and haven't had that problem but I have blasted through two clevices from grinding them up in the turns. A big thank you goes out to LMT in helping me with my foot clevice inventory!!!!

Last edited:

bonZa

Street Tracker
I am new to this forum and maybe missed this issue being discussed. It appears that foot pegs are breaking under normal use.

See the forum threads at "Rat"

edited by Admin

I think you will find that it wasnt "normal use". seems they all had been involved in an incident or dropped at one stage or another

it is most important that the footrest bolt is torqued corectly so load from the rider is spread on the mating surfaces and not on the bolt itself

the footrest bolt is nominated to be torqued to 27 Nm in both the Haynes and FSM

Last edited:

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I agree with bonza. I have snapped off three clevices and each time they had play develop in them, I leaned hard into a corner and.........snap. Now I locktite the hell out of that bolt and torque it down to the specs he provided. It's been good so far but I will keep a stock of clevices just in case....

72Pantera

Banned
72Pantera - if you want to discuss TRAT.net threads, then discuss them over on TRAT.net

Hey Dude
Don't get your pantys in a wad. It was a link to a thread. A thread about a very serious safety related issue.
People can and do particapate in multiple forums. It does not diminish one forum by linking to another.
This just makes you look small and petty.

Bonafide

NBR founder
hmmm ... you would think someone who lives in my backyard and has a very good chance of meeting me in person would have better sense than to poke a bear. Oh well, I thought I was being civil about the whole BS thing. Kinda figured he was gonna be an issue from the start tho. He was emailing me demanding I clear him from the queue immediately upon his registering to the forum. Entitlement is not a character flaw I have very much patience for ..

sanjuro

Two Stroke
Clearly he hasn't spent much time on trat if he's upset you edited out a link. Much better than how they treat their loyal forum users.

A quick glance over the rules will save you many headaches.

Skeeter

Rocker
hmmm ... you would think someone who lives in my backyard and has a very good chance of meeting me in person would have better sense than to poke a bear. QUOTE]

haha i was thinkin that. people are crazy but you know this better than me im sure. i just have to serve them food.

ivar

TT Racer
Kinda figured he was gonna be an issue from the start tho. He was emailing me demanding I clear him from the queue immediately upon his registering to the forum. Entitlement is not a character flaw I have very much patience for ..

sounds like a class 'A' douchebag for sure :D

Esteban

Scooter
I agree with bonza. I have snapped off three clevices and each time they had play develop in them, I leaned hard into a corner and.........snap. Now I locktite the hell out of that bolt and torque it down to the specs he provided. It's been good so far but I will keep a stock of clevices just in case....

Has the foot peg problem only been noticed on Bonnevilles... does it include Scramblers? Has Triumph made a response?

sanjuro

Two Stroke
Both of my clevis bolts broke within about 5000 (25k and 30k) miles of each other. I'll keep a closer eye on the torque, but at about $20 a pop I think I'll replace them when they approach the same mileage rather than risk a high speed (unexpected) break. I'd rather spend a few bucks on extra maintenance than recovering from a wreck at 60mph cause a had my weight on pegs that snapped going over a bump.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Has the foot peg problem only been noticed on Bonnevilles...?

As far as I am aware of...yes. I would also like to throw in that the bolts snapping on both my clevices was due to my own fault by grinding in the twisties that ultimately snapped the bolt because they worked themselves slightly loose. I would not call it a flaw but rather a self inflicted dilemma on my part. Now I dip my boot and use that a marker before I actually grind my equipment anymore.

Last edited: