foot controls swap

drlapo

Hooligan
I'm thinking of swapping my Thruxton foots controls for std Bonneville stuff and modifying the Thruxton to something a bit more comfortable,now that I'm AARP material
I've found soemone with a 11 Bonneville who is willing to swap
has anyone done this?
it does not look complicated; is it?

strokerlmt

no its not complicated…….I did the same thing at 64 now. Sold off the rear sets went back to stock T100 pegs/foot controls + scram bars, football grips anti vibe salamander bar ends and my neck is doing great now, or as well as it can do ;-))))
LMT

The only problem I ran into when trying to swap my T100 pegs for thruxton pegs was the bend in the header pipe where my predators plug into and not being able to move the shift linkage. But that my not be the same issue with the newer Bonnies.

drlapo

Hooligan
I kinda hate to do it but now that I'm a senior citizen(that's distinguished, not old) the Thruxton is a bit cramped for me
I hope to get many more years of use out of it by relaxing the ergonomics
I was looking at a Scrambler but this mod will save me $9500
now I have enough $ to go get that 67 500 Trophy

drlapo

Hooligan
who has slightly longer clutch and throttle cables for a Thruxton?
do Bonneville cables fit? the Bonneville throttle assembly looks different

Flaco

750cc
I'm a senior citizen(that's distinguished, not old)
Now I have enough $ to go get that 67 500 Trophy
Like that quote!
Get the '67! I had a 65 TR5 that I rode for 5 years…
Like many of us say, "I wish I still had it."
I think you'll be O.K. w/ the throttle and clutch cables…
I would have traded stock mid's for rear sets for my son's BB…

beemerrich

Street Tracker
I'm doing it; swapping with a guy in MD
I ordered the LSL handelbar conversion kit too

I thought the LSL kit came with longer brake hose?? The throttle and clutch cables are long enough. I had to remove the lower clip holding the clutch cable and reroute the throttle cables, but all worked fine when taking my '04 from clip ons to speed triple bars. The brake hose is the only 'no go' on making the stock bits work.

No issue with the foot controls either. Going from T100 to thruxton puts the rearset right where the header bend is at....but going the other direction moves the controls forward and doesn't create this fouling.

Cheers,

--Rich

Going from T100 to thruxton puts the rearset right where the header bend is at....but going the other direction moves the controls forward and doesn't create this fouling.

Yep, that was my problem. Going from standard Bonneville pegs to Thruxton pegs.

Last edited:

drlapo

Hooligan
Bennington is this wekeend but next week I'll work on the Thruxton
then it's off to see the 500 Trophy and ???

drlapo

Hooligan
did it and I like it
kind of street tracker-ish
used the LSL kit with superbike aluminum bars
the stock cables work but I will get new cables to mimic the stock routing
probaaby a Bonneville clutch cable and scrambler throttle cables

drlapo

Hooligan
nothing new; just enjoying the bike
12000 miles and never a hiccup
a set of tires, oil, filters = maintenance
I would not hesitate to take it across the country

beemerrich

Street Tracker
nothing new; just enjoying the bike
12000 miles and never a hiccup
a set of tires, oil, filters = maintenance
I would not hesitate to take it across the country

Feel the same way about my '04. I've put somewhere over 30K miles on her and she runs strong as ever. I've got the riding position sorted and am happy as a clam with the speed triple bars in conjunction with the stock rearsets.

dragon1_resized.jpg

I have a backlog of 'improvements' for her once the weather shifts...different exhaust, alloy swingarm, and OIF conversion. Looking forward to a sub-400 lb. dry weight with these changes.

Cheers,

--Rich

strokerlmt

Rich…..My bike is as light as can be and for "me" rides better, easier handling. I cut off the rear peg wish bones. 50% of that is solid, not tube. They weigh a ton. Plastic fenders or chopped fenders help a lot. I did add back another 8 lbs because I don't have my aluminum swing arm anymore :(
LMT

beemerrich

Street Tracker
Lach,

I've avoided cutting the passenger peg triangles off since my bride does ride with me on occasion...short putts only, but a short putt is better than no putt (Besides, I'd feel bad if she had to hold her feet up/wrap her legs around my waist :)).

I've weighed my Thruxton on 2 digital bath scales and came up with 439 lbs. wet/tank full to the brim....which is about 404 lbs. dry. That was with the following:

CBR600 F3 wheels & front forks (same weight savings as running Carros)
No fenders
NH fork brace
Small acewell instrument
No airbox/AI/alloy battery box
No chainguard
wiring harness debulking
D&D 2 into 2 full system
520 chain conversion
and a few misc. lighter bits replacing stock items (e.g. sprocket cover).

Ended up putting the front fender back on (plastic) and fitting conventional bars, so I'm probably up to about 410 lbs. dry weight. The alloy swingarm will carve off 8 lbs. and the 2 into 1 pipe will shave the weight of a muffler off...so I think I'll be safely below the magic 400 lb. mark. I'm also fond of how the machine handles once you trim off the fat.

Time to get going. Still at work and need to do some stuff before heading home.

Cheers,

--Rich