Fitting Fork Gaiters

dbacher06

Scooter
My fork gaiters have dry rot and I bought replacements. Has anyone replaced the gaiters before and what is the easiest way? I know they recommend taking the front forks off, front wheel, caliper, etc... Is there an easier way?

Thanks as always

Ben S

Scooter
well....

I once helped a friend do it the cheater way.
We slit the gators down the side with an Ex-acto blade and than used the crazy glue with the brush inside it to rejoin the halves.
It looked great with the seam turned toward the engine, But he got orders shortly after so I can't say what the longevity of the fix was.
Just a thought.
Ben S

Bonniebret

Rocker
Yeah... that's kinda hack. Unfortunately the only way to do it right is the way it's recommended. It's actually pretty easy albeit intimidating if you've never done anything like that before.

If you get the Triumph ones they come with very clear instructions. Just make sure everything is torqued to spec when you done.

Last edited:

KingBear

Hooligan
Do it by the book, remove the front wheel and brake then remove ONE FORK AT A TIME, replacing one gaiter and reassembling before moving on to the next. I'm a moron and it was no big deal even for me.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
You can remove both forks at the same time if you don't remove the fender mounting bracket. It was super easy.

ge-or-ge

Scooter
EZ

I found it very easy too.
The Triumph instructions are very good and easy to follow.
Really, if you can turn a wrench, it's a breeze.
I think I had a little trouble getting the fender back in place, but the hardest part was lugging the borrowed jack back and forth to work.
Makes the bike look really different.