First time "off road" for new Scrambler

RoyNC

Street Tracker
Hey guys. I was able to go for a ride today and thought I would share a few pics of my new Scrambler. These are crappy cell phone pics.

I just hit the 500 mile mark and I am trying my best to break it in per the manual. Trying to obey the rules I was unable to avoiding twisting the throttle on these back roads and slide a few corners. So much for proper break in period.

While I was only on some back roads and fire roads, the Scrambler definitely handled better than my Suzuki V-Strom. I am really loving this bike.

Attachments

• 0614001510.jpg
    0614001510.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 0614001511.jpg
    0614001511.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 0614001510c - Copy.jpg
    0614001510c - Copy.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 0614001512.jpg
    0614001512.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 0614001510a.jpg
    0614001510a.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

koifarm

Hooligan
Scram fun

Glad to hear you had er out and enjoying it....
Don't know if I've welcomed you to the site but :welcome: Roy,
hope you are enjoying the forum...it's a good one for sure.
Hint: use the 'search' function if you need info, there is a wealth of info on tap there and if it's happened to you, it has happened to one of us and we can help you out.
Don't fail to check out our sponsors as well....some great goodies for you when you get the 'mod attack'. Lots of bargains in the for sale section as well...
Break her in right man, you'll enjoy her even more when she's had a bit of run in....
koi

:sidecar:

Nice job RoyNC! I've clocked 8000 miles on my Scram since last year and not a lick of it has been off road in any shape or size even though there's plenty of it out here in the desert,

Dead jealous you've taken the plunge and the bike looks great mate!
Enjoy!

Cheers
Peter

Deano

Two Stroke
Hi, your bike looks real nice mate. I have done a reasonable amount of off road riding on mine, and maybe a couple of things to think about. They are absolutely awesome on the hard stuff, but watch the old thick mud until you get used to it. If you do hit the mud, keep the hammer down, dont stop. If riding by yourself, just watch going down skinny tracks were its hard to turn around. Twice Ive had mine in a steep and narrow track, and not been able to turn around. They are quite heavy and if you start to go over, going slow, it's hard to stop them falling over. Then if you are by yourself, trying to pick it up, on an angle, and turn around, sure gets the sweat running eh. Especially miles from some help.
Standing up through the rough stuff seems to helps heaps on mine, stops the old jerky throttle hand caused by the bumps.
When running in, if you are at 500 mile mark, dont be too concerned, unless you are absolutely ringing it out. A friend of mine, who has had one since they first came out said that if you run them in too slow, you will always have a slow bike. Labouring them badly or screaming them aint good, but I bet you were no where near red lining it, they are built tough.
You will like it even more once you get those trailwing tyres off it.

RoyNC

Street Tracker
Thanks Deano. I have been trying my best to take it easy, but I am having too much fun and when I see a twisty road or an opportunity now to go onto a side road I just can't say "no."

I am fairly new to off road riding so I am sticking now to just the hard pack stuff. I can find a lot of it here in North Carolina as we have many fire roads and state service roads (as seen in the photo's). I definitely noticed what you said about the hard pack stuff and standing up. I am hoping in the next few months to get a chance to really feel the bike out. I may decide to change out the suspension and make a few mods but I have to decide first where my weaknesses lie before I start to throw money around.

Until then I will stick to the easy stuff and take a friend along if I get a bit more adventurous.

Deano

Two Stroke
Awesome Roy, where I live, on the Sth Island Westcoast of NZ, lots of the tracks have mud, so I envy you being able to find so much hard pack to ride on.
When I was trying to decide what mods to make, I spent sometime reading this forum and also downloading every photo of a Hinckley Bonneville type and the various mod's people have done. You got a love the internet when it comes to finding that stuff, Ive got hundreds now, heaps off this forum and I just slide show them to myself (often) and choose what I like the looks of, there are just so many styles. Some guy's stuff is friggin amazing. I think Triumph got it right with the concept of the basic tuff machine that can be styled and modified to your personal tastes.

Last edited:

Nick Morey

Rocker
Nice pics Roy! Glad your enjoying the Scrambler. :cheers:

" ...when I see a twisty road or an opportunity now to go onto a side road I just can't say 'no.'... " - RoyNC

I use to have an enduro bike & noticed the same thing. My peripheral vision would lead me astray. Great fun!

scramjam

Scooter
Nice job Roy. Keep hitting those unpaved roads. I too, have a hard time passing one without wondering what lies beyond. Riding those rarely traveled back roads is very rewarding, and the Scrambler is definitely up to the task.

Enjoy!

GuyM

Street Tracker
I've thoroughly enjoyed riding my Scram at highway speeds somewhere, then simply turning off, onto a dirt road that heads who-knows-where...

Well ridden and at a sane pace, the Scram does just fine off-pavement.