First ride after an off

JimmyR

Street Tracker
I posted a thread lower down about how a wanker in a Humvee knocked off my bike a few weeks ago. Well today, after fixing my bike, I was able to go for a ride again.

I have replaced the headlight, one indicator, the tacho, the alternator cover, brake levers and the exhaust. The last thing I have been waiting for was the exhaust, and that arrived today. I had been using Southbay Dominators, and replaced them with Predators. Apparently they were designed by the same person, and they certainly look very similar.

So it puzzled me that when I first started the bike I got some white smoke from the exhaust. I thought maybe all of a sudden the bike was running rich? I rode to the local service station to fill up and it was still blowing a little there. The servo is all of 300m from my house.

After the ride things seemed to be back to normal. I guess the real test will be how she starts tomorrow. Why would it be blowing white smoke? It was not clouds of smoke, just a little. Could it be related to having the bike slide down a highway a few weeks before?

fender

Street Tracker
Glad it's all back together again.

As to the smoke from the exhaust I would take a guess that is is residual oils on the metal that would burn off after the first ride or two.

JimmyR

Street Tracker
Hey Fender - looks like you were right. Went for a great ride today after tweaking a few things. Brakes are sharper now, no smoke and the engine runs like a song. Interestingly, I don't think the Preds sound quite as throaty as the Dominators.

Roger

Street Tracker
I had to go back and read your first post - http://www.newbonnevilleriders.com/forum/showpost.php?p=143958&postcount=1

Lucky is the word of the day for you. The minor bumps have probably healed and it sounds like you got your bike up and running okay now too. Good stuff JimmyR.

As for the douschelord that almost killed you, let's just hope that karma get's him. He deserves it firstly for not paying attention and bashing into you, and secondly for leaving the scene of an accident.

fender

Street Tracker
Glad to hear it's all back to normal. When I installed a full stainless system on my Miata the header and exhaust had a very light coat of oil that I wipped down before the first run. I had a bit of burning smell but that went away after the first couple of runs.

FYI to anyone installing exhausts clean/wipe down the exhaust thoroughly before the first time you run it. Grease spots/finger prints will leave discoloration marks on the surface.

monty

Street Tracker
Jimmy, just caught up with this. What a bucket of wank that was.
Your Bonnie is one of the nicest here. Hope the looks aren't too far from when you first finished it......

Monty.

Keith Harding

Two Stroke
Jimmy,
Glad you're still in one piece, mate. The Humvee driver sounds like a standard Perth motorist who drives around with his head up his arse.

JimmyR

Street Tracker
Wow - thanks for the comments guys. I am flattered, Monty! I do love my bike.

Well the bike is almost back to normal. It is certainly very rideable. I went for rides over the weekend and it is running really well - the new Exhaust seems to have decided it likes being on my bike and I think the bike is running better than ever after a slightly rough start. I did wipe down the new mufflers before starting because I was worried about finger marks being permanently etched onto them!

I don't think the Predators sound quite as throaty as the Dominators, but the bike runs beautifully so I'm not too concerned. The only thing to finish now is the tank. I have the tank that was on the bike when I bought it at the powdercoaters now being finished in my beloved sable black textured finish to match the engine. So the tank I have on the bike is a new one from the UK - it's a custom finish which is hideous, but the custom finishes are cheaper than the stock finishes. I can't work that one out!

This has also been a good opportunity to give the bike a good clean in all the areas which are difficult to get to. And I'm due to do the valve clearances now too. It's so good to be riding again - that was about 3 weeks of not riding! Not good.

JimmyR

Street Tracker
Hey Keith - yeah, what is it with Perth drivers?? The traffic here has got so bad in the last 10 years and the drivers have got worse. Driving a Humvee in Perth is about as retarded as you can get.

For those of you in the US - our roads are not designed for Humvees. Most cars here are a lot smaller.