First Bike In 20 Years

Hey man, Just my two cents here.

I owned a Rebel as my first bike when I was 18, about 7 years ago. Before this I had spent a good deal of my life on dirtbikes, and was a generally adaptable person who picked things up easily.

After about 3 days the Rebel was too small for me. I'm 5'7" and 165 lbs.

The Rebel is a decent motorbike, but it's just way too underpowered for anyone with any kind of ability at all.

I just bought my Bonneville a few months ago and it's superior in every way. It's more comfortable, better handling, more predictable power band, etc.

Just go with the Bonne, especially for a guy your size.

Threewheelbonni

Two Stroke
The law here requires us to learn on a 125 or be restricted to 30-odd HP for two years. It works, the US hop on and go idea is ***ing crazy and I've seen what are basically untrained riders come here and wreck their rented bikes pretty much instantly from a lack of basic skills (Inability to use the front brake is the usual one). I'm glad to hear you are taking the training, it will make you a better rider and you'll enjoy it a whole lot more when the basics come naturally.

I like small bikes. That 250 would be a great way to get out and wave two fingers at the " (someone told me who heared if from a bloke the internet) You need 1200cc to tour (but I never tried it I only like riding to Starbucks)" crowd. :hj:

That said, the Bonneville does everything easily. You will be safer with a clear head going with the traffic flow rather than having the extra work load of making the 250 do what you want it to, picking overtake slots that are 250 sized etc. Save the advanced stuff for when you've got more miles in. The Bonneville does everything well enough so you can try everything and if it turns out you like one bit get another bike that's totally focused.

The new versus second hand thing depends on how you feel about the bike. It will get dropped, dirty, repaired by the inexperienced and generally abused. I view my bike in the same way I view my phone or my favourite trainers. It's a tool. When I break it it gets fixed/replaced. Some view their bikes and phones as man jewellrey (I have no problem with that, I just get the feelings like that on other subjects) and will get upset when it gets scratched by that inexpertly fitted tank bag or unseen tree branch. My question to you; How will you react? If you'll want to sulk for a week, sell the bike and get a pristine one or go buy a new tank for 10% of what it's worth, buy second hand and scratch the bike that's worth less, then get the "dream bike" in a year/10000 miles. If you'll be happy with a home repair or simply put a sticker over it, new and use-it-'til-it's-used up works better.

Enjoy whatever you go for. (and budget for a decent lid, jacket, gloves and boots).

Andy

Last edited:

sanjuro

Two Stroke
Not only was my Bonnie the first bike I bought, it was the bike I learned on. Having never ridden before, it was intimidating for a week maybe. I've loved it ever since.

I happened to see a pic of my very bike on this site, discovered the first owner was a member, and then joined myself. Good community.

My vote is 'go with the Bonnie'

btw, I know what my bike sold for new, and know what I payed for it used (1 year, 10k miles). Buy used, take the money you saved and start modding your new ride.

Last edited:

cynr1023

TT Racer
I purchased my 07 Bonnie brand new about 7 days after finishing the MSF basic course. I wouldn't change a thing. I'm about 6'4 and weighed 230 when I got mine. I love it, it was tame when I first started then after a couple months I was able to push myself and the bike. I'd say it's a pretty good learner bike.

Milo B

Scooter
Here's another Bonnie Newbie ??? for ya

BONNIE, BONNIE SE, or BONNIE T100?

From all the help I've gotten on this site, it's gonna be a Bonnie for sure. F' The Rebel. Now... I've got a line on a used Bonnie 2008 for 8K, 300 miles. Patiently waiting to see of something else materializes.

My question, if I may ask is which Bonnie to choose. They are all so beautiful so I don't think I could go wrong, but power for pound ($$$), what's the best for a Bonnie?

Any suggestions? Trying to be patient here but, hell wouldn't mind being out on the road.

Milo

ivar

TT Racer
You said in your first post:

My dream is a New Bonneville T100, all black.
I'm 6'4'', 200 lbs.

The T100 is the one with chrome, sounds like a std Bonneville Black is what you're thinking of?
At 6'4, the SE's smaller wheels and lower seat height may make it feel to small for you.

paulSF

Scooter
BONNIE, BONNIE SE, or BONNIE T100?

From all the help I've gotten on this site, it's gonna be a Bonnie for sure. F' The Rebel. Now... I've got a line on a used Bonnie 2008 for 8K, 300 miles. Patiently waiting to see of something else materializes.

My question, if I may ask is which Bonnie to choose. They are all so beautiful so I don't think I could go wrong, but power for pound ($$$), what's the best for a Bonnie?

Any suggestions? Trying to be patient here but, hell wouldn't mind being out on the road.

Milo

That seems expensive. You can get an 08 Bonnie with low miles with lots of goodies added on to it for that money (and you will need to add goodies on your new bonnie ... 08 bonnie blacks like mine for example) ...

But what ever you get, the die is cast it appears for a retro triumph. Welcome to the club!

And I, like the others, went back to bikes after 30+ years. I bought my bonnie without a test ride since I hadn't been through the MSF class and was not licensed. Took it easy for the first 500 miles and have never looked back. Bonnie is a great bike to re-learn on - especially since it is like the bikes that were around when you were riding back then ....

Enjoy!

Paul

Just my 5 pence worth but whilst the T100s have a nice paint job, the engine looks like a tart's handbag with all that chrome.

It's obviously down to your own personal choice but I'd go with a standard Bonnie if you like polished aluminium cases or the Bonnie Black for the more understated look. Whichever you choose, welcome to the fold and you'll have scored yourself a great bike!

Cheers,

Pikey.

slowgator

750cc
Just my 5 pence worth but whilst the T100s have a nice paint job, the engine looks like a tart's handbag with all that chrome.

Actually, I've never had a problem with loose women; the sluttier the better. I dig the bling on my T100! Can't appreciate top-of-the line Bonneville? That's OK too!

No offence meant there 'Gator, just not my style but each to their own. That's what makes biking so great - there's something for everyone and if you can't buy it off the showroom floor like you want it, you can tweak it until it is!

I guess if my T100 is a tart then a black is a crack ho? :eeek:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But both give a great ride when you are in the mood.... ;)

Cheers,

Pikey.

Last edited:

ssjones

750cc
Welcome! I bought my America six years ago after a 20 year hiatus from bikes as well. No problems adapting to the bike and I still enjoy riding it 32,000 miles later.
A used Bonnie is a great choice. I bought my America used and it was pristine (1,200 miles). You'll knock $1-$2k off the new price. Used Triumphs seem to be treated better than your typical Japanese or even HD bike. I think the owners are more what you would call "enthusiasts". Look around and get the the '06-'07 model of your choice. You might have to travel but it should be worth the effort. Some '05 or earlier bikes have had an issue with the engine case cracking near the starter motor, so beware of that.

Milo B

Scooter
Thanks for that note, SS.

I'm thinking I might have to wait into the fall. Scouring the sites but not many used Triumphs in California. East coast gets better range of choices but then there is getting it here.

Hoping by the time I am ready to pull the trigger, the right bike will find me.
Hope it gets here soon.

Milo

MES

750cc
FYI:
the below info applies ONLY to Ca residents. Out of staters moving to Ca have different rules.

if you buy an out of state bike and want to register it in CA., THE BIKE MUST have over 7,500 miles on the odommeter AT THE TIME OF SALE
OR
BE Ca. compliant WITH the sticker on the side pannel.

otherwise you are screwed.