Finally polished my forks!!

buckstoy

Street Tracker
Well I've been talking about it since I bought it, finally got around to doing it. Took about 3 days of work to strip (easy) the paint, then grind down the seams around the fender bosses (got this out of sequence and did it later on) sand with 400 and resand with varying grits of 200 and 300 then back to 400, then put it on the buffing wheel and the buffing compounds (only put a rough finish on it for now but I like it) sorry no pics of the work being done but I have some of the finished product:

3694305770_9d22f830ce_b.jpg

A pic of the steed getting ready for the morning commute:

3762294540_117c9993f6_o.jpg

I was able to get approval from the local wildlife (he lives in my hedge):

3761354587_7c607a5842_o.jpg

I also ordered a set of the Ricor Intiminators and installed them after polishing everything up. These are amazing, I removed the Progressive springs that were installed and drained all the oil, replaced oil with 5w Amsoil and put the old linear springs back in with the Intiminator on the bottom, these things are worth the asking price, but if you are able to get them for half price like I did it's even better!!

Someday I hope to make it to a Cypress swamp to get some proper pictures, but these will have to do for now, it's hard to get any play miles on it right now, my wife is 39 weeks pregnant and I'm lucky to get out and ride my mountain bike right now!!!!

Last edited:

fender

Street Tracker
The polished forks look great.

What did you do for the spacers when you put in the Ricor Intiminators? I put in the Ricor Intiminators in my Bonnie also along with the 5W oil and am quite impressed. My stock spacers stuck out of the fork tube by about a 1/2 inch before putting the cap on. I was debating on cutting them down but figured I would try it that way first.

buckstoy

Street Tracker
Thanks everybody for the nice words! I've definitely noticed a lot more looks and such, I think the extra "bling" is the reason.

Sweat: don't have Geico, but the lizard said he could "hook me up" whatever that means:huh:.

Fender: I did the same as you, just used the stock springs with the stock length spacers and pushed it all down. I figured for my weight (~220lbs) it would work well and turns out that it sags about 30% just right!

buckstoy

Street Tracker
Do you have to disassemble the lowers before polishing?

Like ssjones said I just removed the entire fork leg, since I was changing out some of the forks innards I went ahead and removed spring and spacers and drained the oil compressed the fork then put the top cap back on, it was a bit easier to work with at a shorter length.

Thanks again for the kind words yall, I love this bike more all the time, and of course over time it just keeps on getting cooler!! I hope someday soon to give you some business D9, I still think that Motogadget speedo/tach would really clean up things:headbang2:!!

ssjones

750cc
They look great but is more to clean
Not by my experience. I just clean the bugs off with a detail spray. I probably polish them once a season. I just wipe on and off some Mothers's, probably less than 5 minutes invested annually.
The big upside to me, beside the obvious shine is no paint dings on the forks. There are a few tiny marks from rocks, but barely noticable with the bare aluminum. I think they would be a lot more apparent with the painted forks. I saw another America a few days ago, at a turnpike rest stop. He had just over 20k on the bike, but the forks looked pretty beat, particuarly compared to mine with 32k on it. As I put more miles on the bike, the appearance benefits appear to increase.

ivar

TT Racer
Looks good! If it was mine, I'd paint the front fender black, to get the contrast back. (and then the rear to match the front)

Last edited: