Finally got my tank done

JimmyR

Street Tracker
I've had to wait to get this done for various very boring reasons I won't bore you with - but I love it! Now I have a tank that matches my fenders - and the engine too. I got a tank for an '05 Bonnie and got it powdercoated in texture black. Added some knee pads and some Emgo '70s logos which I brushed with scotchbrite to match other parts and Im really happy with how the bike looks now.

bike0001copy.jpg

I'm thinking of painting the "number plate" side covers in the same off-white of the logos.

Close up of the tank:

bike0013copy.jpg

Top bike , like the details .
Oberon stuff looks good.

May be something is missing on the number plate, a black number ?

Flaco

750cc
Hello Jimmy,

I like it also!

Would like to find out your source for the tank badges...

Cool Frickin Dude they are!:c

Allin...

JimmyR

Street Tracker
Wow - thanks guys! I do love this bike. Easily the best bike I've had.

Flaco I got the logos off Ebay. I think they are usually there. The screw holes don't line up perfectly so I had to fudge the rear hole a little - it's close but about 8mm off. Also the curvature is slightly wider than the tank. I could try to bend them a bit more but it's close. So I bought some 3mm rubber sheet and cut out the logo shape to act as a backing, and it soaks up most of the difference.

So many more things I could do, like smaller gauges and shorter seat. But a shorter seat would mean a shorter frame, and then a shorter rear fender... then shorter rides as the local rule-makers don't like the rear fender to be any shorter than stock. I'm probably pushing my luck as it is.

But overall I really like the look, and LOVE how it rides. I can see how some of you guys have more than one of these!

JimmyR

Street Tracker
Quick bit of photoshop - this might be something I could do with the sidecovers:

bike000113copy.jpg

What else could I do?

JimmyR

Street Tracker
Well yeah I could do that, but I meant what else could I do with the side covers? :)

I don't know why but I'm not a fan of fork gaiters. Maybe it's because I like to see the steel? I think the wet-sanded fork legs sounds like a very good idea for my bike, but that sounds like hard work!

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
It's not that hard...just time/labor intensive. When was the last time you changed the oil on your forks? Time the whole thing together and even throw some new springs in there if you are still running on the stock ones.

Is there a reason you chose 13? That is often considered an unlucky number for the superstitious types :D '57 or '59 could be a cool number on the plate unless there is a specific connection 13 for you.

JimmyR

Street Tracker
Actually the fork oil is pretty new. I changed the suspension only a couple of months ago. Yeah, I reckon the wet sanding would be cool. Not sure I have the patience! But the new suspension has made a huge difference to how the bike feels at speed and around corners. I got a deal on Ikon front and back and it works really well. So much better than stock it's crazy.

I put 13 on there specifically because it's considered bad luck. 13 is big in rockabilly music - I play/have played in rockabilly bands for years. And I used it because I couldn't think of anything better!

This was my other idea:

bike0001twucopy.jpg

strokerlmt

JR......I like the side covers black with the white 13. You could also take the headlight rim and paint it black. Then your eye goes, straight to gas tank/emblems, then the headlight rim, then the side covers. Its all a smooth transition and your eye should go to the gas tank first. Great job.
LMT

Flaco

750cc
Thanks for the heads up on the badges.
Embelish your bike to your hearts desire and she'll look great!:up:
Carry on,

Flaco

kdlutes

Scooter
I like the idea of putting some "attitude" slogan on the side covers rather than a number.

And I also like the look of polishing your forks and adding gators. After you're done, you can do mine. I'm too chicken/lazy to try it.

I like the 13 side number, and the idea of geting headlight rim painted.
But don't like at all sanded fork legs.

try to keep that "clean" look .