F3 Swap

Bullitt

Two Stroke
Pic for reference:
moto_0558.jpg

Am I seeing an optical illusion or did you install your idiot lights in your headlight?

Savantjk

Street Tracker
I did. I had been wanting to do it and after LMT's post, I got motivated. I kept the stock shape and with the tach to the side they are very easy to see. Waiting for D9 to draw something up for half a lay-flat to hold my stock tach nice and tucked in since I'm going to a digital speedo with the new front end.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Gaiters are in. I'm diggin the big pleats. Brand is Kijima and they feel like pretty good quality.

moto_0590.jpg

I also just scored a Rocket III master cylinder.. anyone know if I can use the brake lines with the F3 calipers? Pieman? Any insight?

PieMan

Two Stroke
From experience I wouldn't use the Rocket 3 m/c, I believe it may give braking a very wooden feel. I also bought a Rocket 3 m/c to use with the F3 calipers, but only if the Bonnie m/c was too sloppy. But with the Bonnie standard m/c the brakes are great, plenty of feel and plenty of power when applied in anger. Having said that I use a single line down to the bottom yoke where it splits in to two as opposed to using a double line going from the m/c to each caliper. Just my prefered setup to minimize the length of brake lines and also less fluid to compress.

Just my opinion, but, it will most probably be a nightmare trying to get your old lines to fit and look good, I would buy new custom hoses for your new setup.

Last edited:
I use an R3 MC and it works just fine. I couldn't get the Bonnie MC to work. It would never firm up when bleeding. I use 2 full lines from the MC to the calipers.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Sweat, do you happen to remember the size of the end needed for the M/C?

Pieman, any idea what size end for the F3 calipers?

If you guys don't remember offhand, I'll just go do the research.

PieMan

Two Stroke
Your bike is coming together, it'll be worth it once done. The F3 mod with re-sprung ZRX shocks (set on 2-2 for damping) have made an amazing difference to my bikes handling and comfort. I've been riding a standard EFI Bonnie of late while doing some performance mods and I really dislike riding it after riding my Bonnie, it's similar to the difference between wearing a heavy steel toe capped pair of boots and slipping on a pair of light comfortable trainers. :ride:

To save you time and energy as it may work out the same for you, I ended up using a 50/50 mix of Amsoil 5w and 10w for the forks and the compression damping set on the highest setting. You need to set up the oil for rebound damping as that is non adjustable, I found 10w too harsh and 5w too soft.

To set it up the same it has to be specifically Amsoil as fork oils are notourious for a specific weight of oil giving different damping levels. For example, Amsoil 5w is 15.7 cSt @ 40°C (a measurement of viscosity) where as Castrol Synthetic 5w is 28 cSt @ 40°C and there really is a crazy difference between the two.

Last edited:

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Thanks Mike, I'll definitely try it out when I change fork oil.

I've ridden around town with just the rear sorted and it feels better planted with the wider wheel. Hell, it may just be me wanting to feel something different though :)

PieMan

Two Stroke
No, it is definitely more planted. With the standard rear wheel, it was so easy to lock it up while braking or spin it up in the wet while cornering, but since I did the F3 mod it has very rarely locked up and I've not spun it up yet.

When you get it done, I'm sure Sweat will agree, the overall improvement in handling and grip is worth all the work you put in to the mod.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Finally making progress on the front end

moto_0678.jpg

Pieman, happen to remember how much of the forks you left through the top triple?

Last edited:

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Kijima made for a Harley. I spent a while looking for some that had the big pleats that weren't priced too high. Picked them up for $40 shipped on ebay. Still have the seller if anyone interested.

I was going to powdercoat the brace, but I'm feelin it how it is