Exhaust Confusion ! Loudness ? Which To Buy

Nick Morey

Rocker
No worries about the boys in blue... 98% of the HD around here are WAY louder than my t-100.

Jeff

I have D&D Reverse Cones which are plenty loud, but as you say the Harley's around here are louder yet. A friend of mine has drag pipes on his Harley I can hardly hear my bike next to his and even he doesn't get hassled!

Bongo111

Scooter
Can anyone help ? Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, but does a T100 with EFI require any changes carrying-out, (mapping via dealer, etc) when fitting TORS or other after-market silencers ?

hs01jowe

Two Stroke
Can anyone help ? Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, but does a T100 with EFI require any changes carrying-out, (mapping via dealer, etc) when fitting TORS or other after-market silencers ?

Yes, mapping. It's different ones depending on what pipes you install.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
The answer is technically no. I run Tors + stock map + removed restrictor plate and no AI and it is one of the best running motorcycles I have owned. Norman Hyde says his Togas dyno just fine with the stock map and they do. Tors flow about the same. For everybody that has installed the Tors factory map, many have regretted it because it is snatchey. Can the stock map can be improved upon? Best method is with a tuneboy or Power Commander and not one of the alternative factory tunes which are all snatchier than the stock map. Hope that helps.

bonZa

Street Tracker
sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have been looking at an exhaust upgrade for years, being satisfied with a bafflectomy but now want to upgrade

after reading through this the OP seems to have settled for Dominator Touring from TPUSA to suit his EFI bike

as I have a carbed T100 with a centre stand I have two questions

1/ whats the difference between Dominator High Torque and Dominator Sport

2/ can my center stand still be used with either of these

rous44

Scooter
The answer is technically no. I run Tors + stock map + removed restrictor plate and no AI and it is one of the best running motorcycles I have owned. Norman Hyde says his Togas dyno just fine with the stock map and they do. Tors flow about the same. For everybody that has installed the Tors factory map, many have regretted it because it is snatchey. Can the stock map can be improved upon? Best method is with a tuneboy or Power Commander and not one of the alternative factory tunes which are all snatchier than the stock map. Hope that helps.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the restrictor plate to which you refer?

Demar

Two Stroke
I would have to disagree. I have preds and they are a 7 or 8 compared to a buddy's D&D's and another's TT's. I have also heard that the Bubs are louder than my preds.

I have never had a problem with the coppers and I get on it a bit carelessly sometimes.

I agree. I live in Ca. I'm running Preds. They are loud but not Harley loud. If I don't open it up they are not too loud at all. If I get on it they will be heard.

I removed the AI and that keeps the Preds a bit more quiet on decel.

Rick

"The Staintunes... to me... are the Stradivarius of pipes... GREAT tone... not overtly obnoxiously loud... my favorite sounding pipe..."
+1, Couldn't agree more...Staintunes...about a 3-4 out of 10 loudness, great tone (deeper tone than TORS), great quality, downside...price. If I had to buy a set again, I'd buy another set of Staintunes...

sportyone

Street Tracker
"The Staintunes... to me... are the Stradivarius of pipes... GREAT tone... not overtly obnoxiously loud... my favorite sounding pipe..."
+1, Couldn't agree more...Staintunes...about a 3-4 out of 10 loudness, great tone (deeper tone than TORS), great quality, downside...price. If I had to buy a set again, I'd buy another set of Staintunes...

Yeah, they are great, I myself have MADAZ pipes best ever sound & power,
unfortunately not made anymore.
The guy here in Melbourne who made them closed up shop, but he does have all the machines & tech specs etc available, so if anyone wants to relaunch a
great business, then chase him up. was making them for National Triumph dealer with all dyno specs til they went across Arrow ?

could be a nice little earner :shh:

bonZa

Street Tracker
been reviewing countless videos and threads and made up my mind that reverse cones look the best in my eye

and as far as noise, think Dominator High Torque sound a little too farty, maybe the Dom Sports are the way to go as they sound deeper

Greyfox2

Scooter
I recently bought a Thruxton with the sole purpose of doing some fairly hot sport riding on the secluded backroads of New England. This bike is perfectly balanced in power, handling,etc. for this type of riding for me, but because the tach needle is usually way up there, I wanted the pipes loud enough to hear at speed, but not so much that I announced I was coming from a half mile away. Also, likely just me, but really loud pipes are tiring after a couple of hours, and tend to effect my pace. I reluctantly had a set of TORs mounted based on the recommendation of my dealer. Also had the AI plugged and re-mapped. Ended up, I'm very happy with them. A significant difference over the crappy stock pipes, nice sound, louder, and deeper than I expected. The bike breaths better and runs great. I found it's very hard to get an accurate idea using your computer to compare pipe sounds. I also agree with a previous comment that you should have someone ride your bike so you can hear what your pipes sound like to the rest of the world.

Last edited:

Twodogs

Street Tracker
Yeah, they are great, I myself have MADAZ pipes best ever sound & power,
unfortunately not made anymore.
The guy here in Melbourne who made them closed up shop, but he does have all the machines & tech specs etc available, so if anyone wants to relaunch a
great business, then chase him up. was making them for National Triumph dealer with all dyno specs til they went across Arrow ?

could be a nice little earner :shh:

I have MADAZ on my Thruxton and they are such a great sound with out being too loud to be HD obnoxious but definitely loud enough to add to the riding pleasure, making me occasionally knock it back a gear just to hear the sweeet sound they make. Why did he stop making them?

sportyone

Street Tracker
I have MADAZ on my Thruxton and they are such a great sound with out being too loud to be HD obnoxious but definitely loud enough to add to the riding pleasure, making me occasionally knock it back a gear just to hear the sweeet sound they make. Why did he stop making them?

I'm told he was setup to produce them primarily for PS / Triumph Australia range here, each was designed & tuned to model specs on a Dyno for true performance.

All was doing fine, until disillusioned with constantly being pressured to better his price, he tried making some offshore, only to be dissapointed with the offshore quality & workmanship.
Eventually PS jumped ship & went to Arrow, leaving him with stock & no major dealer to sell to or no place to sell it, that forced him to sell off the last of the completed stock privately ( one of the last sets of which I got ) & put the special tooling machinery & setup into mothballs in his garage.
where it I think, still sits today waiting to be reborn or revived I guess ?? :(

Last edited:

ivar

TT Racer
and as far as noise, think Dominator High Torque sound a little too farty, maybe the Dom Sports are the way to go as they sound deeper

Not sure what you mean by "farty" , I would describe my Dominator tourings (or hi tq) as sporty sounding without being too loud. My comparisons are the Tors, mellow, and Emgo reverse cones which I found too "blatty" - like a VW bug.