Exhaust Confusion ! Loudness ? Which To Buy

benjamindickens

Street Tracker
Gday guys I am really confused, I have a Bonneville SE 2009/10 and want to upgrade my exhausts. I live in Melbourne Australia and I don't want to put an exhaust on that attracts the boys in blue (Police) but love the sound of the predator exhaust. I have surfed youtube to death and have heard many different exhausts on your sticky thread. However loudness is different and dependant on the recording quality. So I would like to ask if people could rate exhausts on a scale of loudness for me on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being stock pipes. I dont use my bike as my only mode of transport but I ride as much as I can. Has anybody in melbourne and/or australia got predators on there bonny and what experience have they had. I am looking to buy very shortly and seek all of your advice, staintunes seem too expensive and don't make as deep a note from what I have seen on youtube. Thanks guys and I look forward to your advice so I can act on it Merry Christmas and Happy New Year:shh::worthy::headbang2:

Attachments

• IMGP0561.jpg
    IMGP0561.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

RoyNC

Street Tracker
You will most likely get all sorts of opinions; however, I would probably say that stock = 1, TOR's = 7, and Predators = 10. I have the TOR's and they are loud and agressive enough without attracting attention. I have heard the Predators and like them a lot but they are loud.

drlapo

Hooligan
i am very happy with the EPCO SS silencers on my Thruxton
they are now on EBay for $145 or BO
a bit louder than TORS but not nasty

SCBonneville

Two Stroke
Gday guys I am really confused, I have a Bonneville SE 2009/10 and want to upgrade my exhausts. I live in Melbourne Australia and I don't want to put an exhaust on that attracts the boys in blue (Police) but love the sound of the predator exhaust. I have surfed youtube to death and have heard many different exhausts on your sticky thread. However loudness is different and dependant on the recording quality. So I would like to ask if people could rate exhausts on a scale of loudness for me on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being stock pipes. I dont use my bike as my only mode of transport but I ride as much as I can. Has anybody in melbourne and/or australia got predators on there bonny and what experience have they had. I am looking to buy very shortly and seek all of your advice, staintunes seem too expensive and don't make as deep a note from what I have seen on youtube. Thanks guys and I look forward to your advice so I can act on it Merry Christmas and Happy New Year:shh::worthy::headbang2:

You're in the land of Oz... why not go with Staintunes or Thunderbike pipes from NZ???

I've had TOR's twice... one set very open and another a bit more choked down (a lot less miles on the second set...), EPCO reverse cones and now a set of Staintune reverse cones...

The TOR's will not offend anyone... can have some bark to them if hard on the throttle... the most restrictive of the "performance" pipes out there... easy going sound levels when puttering along on part throttle...

The EPCO's... oh how I LOVED the look of the EPCO's on my Bonnie... GREAT breathing pipes... VERY loud when hard on the throttle... not bad when running along on a steady throttle... I was conscious of the volume levels I was subjecting people in cars to, as I passed them... sold them off... Better sounding than Predators to my ears...

The Staintunes... to me... are the Stradivarius of pipes... GREAT tone... not overtly obnoxiously loud... my favorite sounding pipe... I do like the look of the EPCO's better though...

I've never owned Predators but I've followed guys who had them on their Bonnies... I had to either back off or run ahead of them... they hurt my ears... even through my full face helmet...

If I had to do it over again, I'd choose one of the following three... TOR's, Norman Hyde Togas or Staintunes...

Now, I know you asked for a numerical 1 -> 10 volumetric grading of pipes... It can't be done objectively by people on a forum... different people will hear different volume levels depending on a number of variables... a sound level meter is needed and then there has to be a repeatable procedure to do a consistent analysis...

em_dot

Street Tracker
Hey Benjamin,

I have predators and they are loud. Not horrible, but loud. My riding buddy has a Dyna with Screaming Eagle pipes. Supposedly 50 state legal. If we are side by side at idle, I can't hear my bike. His bike is really loud!

That said if my neighbors were to complain, I'd switch to Triumph Perfomance USA, Dominator Touring. Dominator Sports and Preds are the same regarding volume. Dominator Touring are a little more quite.

Here Ya' go, TP USA is a site vendor. Dominator Touring for EFI SE:

http://www.triumphperformanceusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=400

Hope that helps,

Joel

scottslob

Scooter
id rate the tors at 5, but i cant here them when im riding. i live a gated 55 and up joint. and i guess someone complained to the property mngr. but all my friends say that their quiet. Triumph exhuasts in general tune out higher frequency sounds leaving you with a lower pitch rumble..

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
You're in the land of Oz... why not go with Staintunes or Thunderbike pipes from NZ???

I've had TOR's twice... one set very open and another a bit more choked down (a lot less miles on the second set...), EPCO reverse cones and now a set of Staintune reverse cones...

The TOR's will not offend anyone... can have some bark to them if hard on the throttle... the most restrictive of the "performance" pipes out there... easy going sound levels when puttering along on part throttle...

The EPCO's... oh how I LOVED the look of the EPCO's on my Bonnie... GREAT breathing pipes... VERY loud when hard on the throttle... not bad when running along on a steady throttle... I was conscious of the volume levels I was subjecting people in cars to, as I passed them... sold them off... Better sounding than Predators to my ears...

The Staintunes... to me... are the Stradivarius of pipes... GREAT tone... not overtly obnoxiously loud... my favorite sounding pipe... I do like the look of the EPCO's better though...

I've never owned Predators but I've followed guys who had them on their Bonnies... I had to either back off or run ahead of them... they hurt my ears... even through my full face helmet...

If I had to do it over again, I'd choose one of the following three... TOR's, Norman Hyde Togas or Staintunes...

Now, I know you asked for a numerical 1 -> 10 volumetric grading of pipes... It can't be done objectively by people on a forum... different people will hear different volume levels depending on a number of variables... a sound level meter is needed and then there has to be a repeatable procedure to do a consistent analysis...
Pretty well said.

I love the tonal quality of Pred's but too loud to live with.

BC Sleepers: Too Loud

Togas: a little too loud for my taste.

Tors: A tick too quiet to be perfect but to me the best bang for buck muffler and what I ride. Best flowing muffler? Nope but good enough for a close to stock motor. They flow as good as Sleepers or Togas. I know because I have raced equivalent bonnies against my Tors bike and they all run the same. Better to err on the slightly too quiet versus too loud side to live with on the street.

Staintunes: Perfect and good flow. Too expensive. Almost twice the price of Tors and again why I ride Tors.

Dominator Touring: Haven't heard them but worth a look. Reverse cone mufflers flow great on these bikes and if 10-20% under the dB level of Preds,
maybe as good as Staintunes for about the price of Tors.

My addition to SCBonnies' good review.

Last edited:
I like the looks of "cocktail shakers". They were very popular around where I lived as a youngster. I've never been one to follow the crowd and most Bonnie owners are running Dom's, Pred's, TOR's and the like sooooo, C/S's look different and I'll go that way. Max H/P is not my bag or I would have gotten a different bike.

Best I remember, they've a very deep growl when opened up. Anybody here heard a set recently? I'm gonna try a set soon and see. Rejetting should be interesting though, no info found on the web about jetting for them.

benjamindickens

Street Tracker

Predator Exhaust Cost $800 AUD

STAINTUNE EXHAUST $1200 AUD + POSTAGE

HAS ANYBODY IN AUS GOT PREDATORS ON AND HAVE THEY HAD ANY DRAMA WITH THE EPA OR BOYS IN BLUE

ivar

TT Racer
I've got experience with TORS, Emgo's and Dominator Tourings.

The Tor's a mellow rumble, a 3 on the scale. The Emgo's, maybe 9, very 'blatty' util I got some more packing in them. But still too loud for my liking.
So then I went for Dominator tourings. A little louder than Tors in lower revs - and a nice growl when gassing it. And IMO, a 5-6 on the relative scale

benjamindickens

Street Tracker
What would you rate the staintunes, I love the sound of the predators but I assume from all you guys they are way loud. I would consider other pipes but the shipping is a killer from U.S to AUS.... So its looking like more $$$$ to save for the staintunes, does anybody have these and what do they think? Thanks guys

whyme

TT Racer
The only thing I've heard are my TORS. Sometimes I think they sound a little too blatty but not too loud. Still way better than stock.

benjamindickens

Street Tracker
For other aussie bonne riders here is a link to the epa requirements for victoria, after a little research I found this site to the EPA regarding exhaust DB requirements. Check Link Below. This will help people from aus in the future as all states follow the same EPA guidlines and ADR. Staintunes are ADR Compliant and fulfill the requirement of 94db @3750rpm which is approved for bikes after March 1985... So it is a big no to predators which is a shame if only I lived in the US and yes to staintunes...

http://epanote2.epa.vic.gov.au/EPA/Publications.nsf/2f1c2625731746aa4a256ce90001cbb5/c90ec843f3bbbe8fca256d9f00181c59/$FILE/1031.pdf
Cut and past the above link into internet explorer, took me hours to find it.....

IF SOMEBODY HAS STAINTUNES PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THEM AND ARE THEY WORTH THE $$$$ OR SHOULD I JUST STAY STOCK? THE ONES FOR THE MAG WHEEL BONNE DON'T HAVE A REMOVABLE BAFFLE SO THEY MAY BE A LITTLE DIFFERENT... THANKS HEAPS I LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR ADVICE ALL THE BEST AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL......:)

Last edited: