Engine Removal Project

Hedge

American Infidel
could also be the vent tube for the carbs. from memory it connects to the carbs in the centre somewhere between both and winds its way behind down along the left side and terminates behind the gear shift peddle back behind the footpeg.

its purpose is to keep the float bowls vented to atmosphere otherwise a vacuum will form inside the bowls and atmospheric pressure wont "push" the fuel, or allow it to flow. at lower revs everything would seem fine but as your revs climb and you are drinking more fuel this could be a problem if the vent isnt drawing air into the bowls

if the tube is not oriented correctly, when you are riding at speed, wind turbulence can interfere with the end of the tube preventing it from drawing air. it gives the impression of running outa gas or hitting a rev limiter

once happened to me. did some work to the bike and left the end of the tube stuck out horizontal, caused all sorts of problems and had me scratching my head. some people cut the end of the tube with a knife at a 45 degree angle to help as well

seeing your bike has been pulled apart it seems like these little attention to detail things are causing you a bit of grief

So I put the cleaned roll-over valve back in place and checked the carb vent hose to make sure it was routed correctly. Sucked on the gas cap to see if it had pass-through which it did but I had a brand new sealed locking cap which seemed to provide more air so I put that on. The gas cap problem with venting is fixed apparently. Maybe it was a bad cap all along . . . not really sure.
I still have the 5K cut-out where the Bike dies until I roll off the throttle. When it comes back to life there is huge backfire from the un-burnt gas that is still there un-ignited. I think it might be electrical. Called the dealer and they think it might be the Sensor Ignition or the Ignition coil. Doubtful it is the ignition coil . . . I have the complete Nology setup.
Anyone have any ideas what to try next?

beemerrich

Street Tracker
So you can't get past 5K rpms?

My best thought if it terminates at 5K/won't allow you past that level is that the CDI is whacked and the first thing I would do is to swap in an ignitor that is known to be good.

Looking back through the tread, I think that's what Lach said right out of the gate. As I've heard from others, "most fueling issues are electrical in nature...."

Regards,

--Rich