Engine Removal Project

Roger

Street Tracker
That's correct Roger - I pulled the plugs and tried to turn the crank again but frozen. I wonder if I had tried the 16" channel locks on the cam gear prior to cutting the chain if I could have moved it thus saving me $91 for the new one I have to order. :chin:

You still would not have been able to turn the cam drive because the crank shaft was still hanging on to the chain. My thinking was if the tensioner and the knife were out, then there might have been enough slack to lift the chain off the cam drive and then somehow get the cam shafts to rotate. Another thing that could have worked is lifting the caps with the valves loaded but I am not that sure it is that easy. It is a possibility that the chain could have been saved but this is the problem when you are working around a text and picture conversation. Also the delay between a request and a response. This is all practical experience for you and will be worth a lot when you have your next conversation with some squid you meet on the street :)

Hedge

American Infidel
I have this mental image of the process:

1. Hedge standing in his garage, cursing up a storm
2. He takes a swig of scotch, wiping his lips with the back of his hand
3. He studies Haynes
4. He pokes at the motor for a while
5. He runs inside to type a post here on NBR
6. He jitters around waiting for a reply
7. Run back to the garage, go to step 1.

All day long.

1. I have a shop in my basement with a Herman Miller Areon and haven't found this project the least bit frustrating
2. I haven't found it necessary to drink in 25 years
3. Yes the Haynes manual is good and I do study it
4. I don't poke at it, I follow directions and work on it successfully
5. Yes I post here because there are some very nice people here that are willing to help
6. I do not jitter around waiting for a reply, I research and think of solutions
7. I implement solutions and learn
8. I see you still hide behind your own interpreted humor because your to dumb to share anything here of value!
9. That doesn't make you a bad person - shit post some more pix of your wife we like that better than your jokes! :)

Hedge

American Infidel
You still would not have been able to turn the cam drive because the crank shaft was still hanging on to the chain. My thinking was if the tensioner and the knife were out, then there might have been enough slack to lift the chain off the cam drive and then somehow get the cam shafts to rotate. Another thing that could have worked is lifting the caps with the valves loaded but I am not that sure it is that easy. It is a possibility that the chain could have been saved but this is the problem when you are working around a text and picture conversation. Also the delay between a request and a response. This is all practical experience for you and will be worth a lot when you have your next conversation with some squid you meet on the street :)

I Agree Roger - and I don't mind spending the money. I'm learning an awful lot and enjoying the experience. Ok so it's time to get my nose back into the book and carve out the plan for splitting the case.

strokerlmt

1. I have a shop in my basement with a Herman Miller Areon and haven't found this project the least bit frustrating
5. Yes I post here because there are some very nice people here that are willing to help
6. I do not jitter around waiting for a reply, I research and think of solutions
8. I see you still hide behind your own interpreted humor because your to dumb to share anything here of value!
9. That doesn't make you a bad person - shit post some more pix of your wife we like that better than your jokes! :)

Hedge and BlueJay……I feel for Hedge and his engine but so far I have enjoyed this thread and everything Hedge is accomplishing. So lets stop the jabs and personal jokes or I will have to delete shit. :chair:
LMT

Hedge

American Infidel
So I got all the case bolts out and put them correctly into the suggested cardboard template for the reinstall. They say that some of the bolts are slightly larger or smaller than others and are firm in not mixing them up.

Hedge

American Infidel
As i flipped it over to start the case separation i noticed that the crank turned. Oh shit - Great news. I flipped it back over and weasled the cut chain out. Now i can completely hand turn the crank.

Hedge

American Infidel
So the book says that i should be able to seprate the case by hand but no way. They say if you cant then use a rubber mallet around the joints. I have gently hit the shit out of all areas and it wont let go. I decided to stop for tonight so i dont do anything stupid. Anyone ever split the case and have difficulty getting it seprated?

Roger

Street Tracker
The crank is turning now and that tells me that one or more bearing shells on the crank shaft have piled up. The shell itself has come apart creating a wedge between the crank shaft, the shell itself and the engine housing. As soon as you released the bolts on the case, this allowed the bearing(s) to rotate.

Trying to come up with ideas on how to split the case.

Roger

Street Tracker
Before you try to split the case completely, install 6 or 8 of the bolts that hold the case halves together. Do this somewhat equally around the perimeter of the case. Don't tighten them but rather let them protrude about 1/8". The gap will allow the case to split apart without actually falling apart. If the case suddenly came apart, then there is a good chance that all the shafts and gears could fall out of the case halves. This is a worst case scenario but I have seen it happen.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak

BWAHAHAHAH!!!

Surely you didn't take any of that as criticism! I'm way impressed my man! Just sharing the mental image, that's all. And you definitely don't come across as frustrated!

I only wish I had something of value to share... hey wait... I just pulled my thumb out of my ass... Baby Ruth!!!

Seriously brother - this thread is awesome. Please carry on!!!!

Last edited:

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
I have an actual question: I've seen this phrase before, but because I'm absolutely not mechanically inclined, I have no idea what it means: Split the case. I could google it, but in the spirit of Hedge's foray, I'd rather hear it here. What does that mean?

Hedge

American Infidel
I have an actual question: I've seen this phrase before, but because I'm absolutely not mechanically inclined, I have no idea what it means: Split the case. I could google it, but in the spirit of Hedge's foray, I'd rather hear it here. What does that mean?

It means to separate the top partt of the case from the bottom part of the case my brother! :)

Hedge

American Infidel
Before you try to split the case completely, install 6 or 8 of the bolts that hold the case halves together. Do this somewhat equally around the perimeter of the case. Don't tighten them but rather let them protrude about 1/8". The gap will allow the case to split apart without actually falling apart. If the case suddenly came apart, then there is a good chance that all the shafts and gears could fall out of the case halves. This is a worst case scenario but I have seen it happen.

Actually that wont happen because the book takes this into account and thats why they direct you to lay the engine on its top and separate and remove the bottom from the top. This way you only pull the bottom case shell and everything stays left intact on the top side. I talked with Sweat and he confirmed what the book said with 100% "DO NOT PRY IT IN ANY WAY"! He has had success with the rubber mallet and a dead blow. Of course if i use the dead blow i will have to be very very careful and make my hits strategically and more in a tapping method then caveman method. But first i will buy a harder rubber mallet and try that today. Perhaps there are still parts that are attached somewhere that are still holding the bottom to the top. I will do another thorough investigation today prior to the mallets. Again, im very certain i have all the case bolts out but i will recheck that as well!

Roger

Street Tracker
Actually that wont happen because the book takes this into account and thats why they direct you to lay the engine on its top and separate and remove the bottom from the top. This way you only pull the bottom case shell and everything stays left intact on the top side.

:D

Tell that to my buddy years ago. Transmission problem on his 750 Kawi. Stood the case up on its side and the bottom came off. Well... the transimission puked out all over the dirt floor.

That was 1976. I was 18, he was 24. We washed the parts in a bucket of gasoline and I gave him a hand putting it back together. He didn't have a manual but the bike was up and running a few days later. That guy could wheelie. Good times!

normandy

Street Tracker
I have never had success with rubber mallets.

You may want to try a steel hammer on a piece of wood, that has always worked for me.

Hedge

American Infidel
I have never had success with rubber mallets.

You may want to try a steel hammer on a piece of wood, that has always worked for me.

Thanks Norm - actually i have learned something today. A dead blow hammer is not my hand metal sledge hammer. It is a 4lb plastic hammer filled with lead shot to give it the density shot i am looking for. Bought one at Harbor Freight just now and as soon as i get off the thrown im gonna give it a try and report back to you guys.

Hedge

American Infidel
So this is a 4lb Dead Blow Hammer!

And this is what happens when you use it correctly!

The Case is now iffically split with Zero Damage!

Hedge

American Infidel
When I lifted the bottom from the top the only thing that came loose was this gear and im not yet sure where it came from.