EMGO's

drmuonfunk

Scooter
Hello,
I'm new to the forum so I apologize if this is repeating a topic already mentioned in the past. I have been doing quite a bit of research on after market pipes and I'm starting to get exhausted (no pun intended). I have an 08' Bonne Black carb model. Right now I have off road pipes which I like but I still feel like the bike is pretty quiet. I'd like the sportier look and a bit louder sound especially living in NYC. I hear that the Predators are deafening + they are $$$.

Does anyone have an opinion about the EMGO's in comparison to the predators? They seem shorter and a little tintier sounding from the videos I've seen but are they really that much worse in quality?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Craigore

TT Racer
have had mine on for a season. For the cost, they're fine. I had problems with exhaust leaks on the juncture from header to muffler- in my experience, no amount of RTV sealant will help you there. They're loud... REAL LOUD!

i store my bike outside (covered) and have noticed these things rusting a little? might just be a little rust coloring from something else... don't know, didn't wash her all summer! hahha

ivar

TT Racer
had the Emgo reverse cones, and the same experience re: leaks as Craigore. But to me, they just sounded too 'blatty', like a old VW Bug. More packing seemed to calm them down though.
But this year, I went for Dominator Tourings. Quieter, but a sound that I prefer much over the emgo's.
The shape is similar, but the Dominators are polished stainless steel vs chromed steel

Craigore

TT Racer
They're good for a temporary fix but want you leaving more. If you're on a budget, they're fine.

Ivar, you're right, "blatty" is a good descriptor of their sound.

Shorty

Two Stroke
I feel fortunate. I've installed the NewBonneville Sprint (EMGO) burgess style silencers about 5 years ago on my Bonnie and have been very pleased with them. Even though they are mfg'd in China as replacements for the 60's Bonnies (says so on the box), the chrome plating is great in my opinion and I still can't detect any flaws.
I did have some leakage at first with the adaptor pipe, but some high temp RTV fixed that problem.
Sound wise on a scale of 1-10 they are probably a 7 or an 8 and above 3500 RPM they have an agressive sound (growl) that reminds me alot of the 60's Bonnies.
I just had them off to inspect my inline JC Whitney baffles a few weeks ago and found no rust anywhere. At $350 for the set including adaptors and hardware I think they're a good buy.

Shorty

Last edited:

drmuonfunk

Scooter
Thanks for the info. I love the predators but considering I may be moving to California in the next two years I'm concerned about emissions etc. I have off road pipes now which are fine but a bit to quiet. I see that Bellacorse is selling the EMGO's for $150 a set including jets. May be worth checking out just to see if I like the louder sound.

derby boy

Two Stroke
I installed the Emgo "Upswept Cocktail Shakers". The quality is fair, but for $85.00/pair they can be disposable. They are very loud and ratty sounding. The baffle is only a perforated screen about 6" long. I modified them by installing some drag pipe baffles I had around, I also wrapped fiberglass around the inner baffle. Sounds much richer and mellow at idle and cruising speeds. Still barks on acceleration.

Easy13

Street Tracker
I went with the Commando Specialties T120 mufflers on my '07. Excellent quality and finish at a very reasonable price. They have a nice rumble at idle and go to a full-on hooligan howl at anything above 2000rpm.

Social D 13

Scooter
go the reverse cones and i like em

though they do pop since i havent been able to seal em up real good and im still playing w/ the jetting.
Any recommendations on jet sizes?

40/ 132.5 - uni air filter and everything else is stock...
Maybe go down to 128 on the mains?

drlapo

Hooligan
get the EPCO stainless steel silencers
they are on eBay for $200 (2nds)
I bought a pair for my Thruxton
they are louder than the TORS but not obnoxious