Electrical issue... no start... need advice

wildjester

Scooter
I have a feeling and am hoping this is a simple issue.

I installed a lucas style tail light and turn signals the other day.
Blew out a couple of fuses for the turn signals in the process.
Replaced all fuses and buttoned everything up.

Now bike wont start.

Turn key
All lights go on
Fuel pump cycles
BUt when I hit the starter button... I get a "ckunk" from ariund where the battery is and dash lights click off. A few seconds later... lights reset and fuel pump cycles... hit starter and "clunk"

Any ideas?
I know my way around bike, but have spent 10 years dealing only with I4 Jap bikes. To me it feels like an inertia switch or something stupid that got flipped and needs to be reset.

Thanks

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
I saw this on ADV Jester. I would go back to the old stand by "what has changed since the last time it worked". Do you know (for sure) why those fuses blew? It sounds to me like something has drained charge from the battery. Now when you hit the starter button, the voltage drops to the point where the ECU resets - killing everything until the battery recovers above the ECU reset trigger - then the ECU (and everything else) comes back.

Check absolutely everything you touched when you made those turn signal & taillight mods. Somethin' ain't right. :)

wildjester

Scooter
I saw this on ADV Jester. I would go back to the old stand by "what has changed since the last time it worked". Do you know (for sure) why those fuses blew? It sounds to me like something has drained charge from the battery. Now when you hit the starter button, the voltage drops to the point where the ECU resets - killing everything until the battery recovers above the ECU reset trigger - then the ECU (and everything else) comes back.

Check absolutely everything you touched when you made those turn signal & taillight mods. Somethin' ain't right. :)

Bingo! Sometimes I can be so smart and then so stupid. Put it on the charger overnight and presto! Vroooom! patato-patato-patato-patato

In my defense, this is all new to me. On any other bike (Jap Sport) when the battery is too low to start, it tries to crank and makes the typical dead battery noise. The ECU reset totally threw me off. Now I know!

wildjester

Scooter
Ok.
Now that is over and done with... whats with the check engine light?

Will it reset?
Can I reset?
or is it a stealership only item?

Thanks

I fyou have a laptop download the freeware progam TuneECU and get the OBDII to USB cable from ebay or amazon for like $10. You will be able to read the CEL code