EFI V Carbs a personnel opinion

Skidmark

Scooter
I am lucky enough to own an 08 carbed Thruxton and a new EFI bonnie. Use is normally dictated by whether I need to drop my daughter off at the station in which case the dual seat bonnie is used. They are both recently serviced and I ride them back to back for my daily commute to work.

The EFI Bonnie is totally stock. It is a bit rough off tick over (about 600 revs) but cleans up from 1500 to beyond the red line it spins out fast and the front wheel is light in the first three gears from 4-7000 revs.

Thrux has staintune cans and snorkel removed and a 19t front sproket. It pulls clean from tickover (750 revs) but needs a fair bit of clutch slipping on pull away - just the higher gearing I expect. Pulls clean to about 6000 revs and starts to loose steam. Feels stronger in the mid range and wants to pull a higher gear but lacks the willingness to just rev out.

Outcome is that it had me thinking about an EFI Thrux but I have too much in shiney bits on it so a pair of 36mm HSR Mikunis are on their way and I'll reasses after they are on board.
Not getting rid of the Thrux, I love the noise and the look of the bike but wish it would spin like the EFI.

Your mileage may vary.

Skiddy

why I got a Bonnie

I had been thinking about getting a Bonnie for a while when I found out the 09 were going to be EFI... I ran down to the dealer and got into an 08 as quick as I could.

I know it might spin a bit nicer... but carbs are what I wanted... so that is what I got.

Last edited:

Delbert

Two Stroke
There's always gonna be something a person wished they got between either carbed or EFI that makes one sometimes better than the other. Those being that with carbed bikes(Cities with NO emissions checks) are, you can change out the jets,intake,larger carburators,exhaust,cams,pistons, remove the AI system, and CPU replacement or reprogram the stock by sending it to other people, to make the bike perform the way you want--all in your garage, IF, you have the capabilities.
With EFI you can change out muffler,air filter by yourself, BUT, you MUST go to the dealer and have the CPU reprogrammed for the changeouts. I'm sure the CPU will have some forgiving traits on changing out some things. You won't be able to remove the AI system or change out the throttle bodies at this time, because it's all tied into the factory CPU and the exhaust sensors. That is until somebody starts carrying new mapping that can be downloaded off a backyard laptop. Remember these bikes will still run lean from the factory to pass ALL emissions laws around the world. I like EFI in that it's actually more precise, but there are the drawbacks if you want to hop up the motor.
Del

drlapo

Hooligan
600 RPM idle speed??!!!
the recommended speed is 1000 +/- 50
of course its rough off idle
bring it back to the dealer and ask them to fix it if it's controlled by the CPU
you can fix the Thruxton's speed yourself