EFI or carb WHICH ONE!

jamesbgood

Scooter
im not sure what to buy, 08 carbs or 09 (rumored) EFI? my personal opinion is EFI is the way to go but maybe im wrong. I know EFI has better mileage, performance, and reliability. I don't know much about carbs other then it can be a pain in the ass in a climate that can change 20 degrees up and down in a day (like mine) always adjusting and tinkering with them.
soooo....... thoughts anyone?
make it quick thoughts my dealer only has two 08s left.

Bonafide

NBR founder
I just wouldnt want something the first year it hits the streets. They always seem to improve *whatever* the next year it's in production and were beta testing the first year owners.

Carbs been been around 100+yrs ... and everyone here is familar with them. The EFI seems like you'd have growing/learning pains. Guess if you wanted to keep it stock.

I just wouldnt want something the first year it hits the streets. They always seem to improve *whatever* the next year it's in production and were beta testing the first year owners.

Carbs been been around 100+yrs ... and everyone here is familar with them. The EFI seems like you'd have growing/learning pains. Guess if you wanted to keep it stock.

:) Went to our local Dealer Thursday and Friday to check out the EFI 09 mod. Beautiful , nice bars and sitting position but I couldn't hear it running because they were having trouble seting up the throttle bodies and had to talk to Triumph Melbourne. The EFI system will be limited as far as mods are concerned. You will be able to get the tors and up load the sport ignition curve but apart from that not Much. You can get units that feed more fuel to the motor but really thats all they do.. The carb set up is what I'm going for mainly as Bonifide has said, they have been around for ages and thats what I was brought up with. Carbs are fun and quite easy once you get the hang of them. There is also much more room for mods. My list of stuff from Brent is a mile long. Just waiting at the moment. I'm getting mighty upset because I have no ride at the moment and havent for a while. This is all about to change, but not quick enough for me!!!!!

Cheers JamesBgood....:cool:

BMW and EFI

I've had 4 BMWs in the past ten years. ALL of them had an EFI problem of some sort. With the exception of one bike, the problems were software issues. Not only does my Thruxton run more reliably, but there's a lot of maintenance and customizing I do myself rather than paying the dealer to do it.

Carbs are great right now (& probably preferable), as there are a lot of mechanics who know how to work on them. But they are outdated technology, & the further into history they retreat, the less mechanics you're going to find who understand their mysteries. Most cage wrenchers, under the age of 35, would have very little practical experience of carbs. & bike wrenchers wouldn't be too far behind.
I think there'll be more EFI modding options when the US gets it in '09, & all the big US modshops put more R&D resources into it.

Beemer EFI...

I've had 4 BMWs in the past ten years. ALL of them had an EFI problem of some sort. With the exception of one bike, the problems were software issues. Not only does my Thruxton run more reliably, but there's a lot of maintenance and customizing I do myself rather than paying the dealer to do it.

:) I had a BMW K75C. Bought it brand new in 85 for $6410.00 on the road, fully optioned. I modified it so that it lost its fugly look and put a Staintune slip on pipe on it that gave it 13 hp to the back wheel over standard. Mate that is massive for an exhaust mod. The trianglar system that came standard was not only as heavy as Mecury but so restrictive that my mates used to call it the Jupiter Two cause you could only here the whining of the box and the injector tap. I rode that bike in all conditions for 11 years and then sold it to my best mate, who still has her. She is about to tick over at 427,000km. The Motronics engine system compensated for every known weather, temperature and riding condition in that time and still does. I didnt have to do anything to her. She did it all herself. Hence my love of Beemers. I'l still go for carbs on my Thrux. I dont think that the Trumph EFI system on the Thrux has the sensors needed to compensate and change / adapt as well as the BMW's. But that is of no consequence. I just want my Thrux, they are beautiful...!!

Cheers....:cool:

jamesbgood

Scooter
can you not rip the EFI stuff out and throw a nice perfomance carb on?
my Triumph dealer just got a 09 in the black/gold with the efi and fuck does it look good! I think im going to drop a gee on it this thursday so they can hold it for me. 11,450 for the 09 black all in out the door
10,400 for a carbed 08 silver/red all in out the door
I don't know that Black/Gold looks pretty sweet.:chin:

Last edited:
can you not rip the EFI stuff out and throw a nice perfomance carb on.
my Triumph dealer just got a 09 in the black/gold with the efi and fuck does it look good! I think im going to drop a gee on it this thursday so they can hold it for me. 11,450 for the 09 black all in out the door
10,400 for a carbed 08 silver/red all in out the door
I don't know that Black/Gold looks pretty sweet.:chin:

:fight3:Get in line buddy!!!...I want the B/G with carbs...I like the seating position on the 09 but I dont like the bars and I want carbs...$13,990 + dealer shit over here James...and rego and plates and insurance and comprehensive insurance + $6500 US for go fast and pretty bits and some Aus made surprise stuff as well + new riding gear and a helmet....ah the list is getting bigger...

Hope you get yours soon mate....I'm jealous and the windows are lookin good mate!!!

Cheers dude......Bret...:beer:

Nodster

Banned
for the record - new efi on the road in Southern Ireland for €9k...including stelth 'vehicle registration tax' - €1,215! (£5,400 in the UK)

drlapo

Hooligan
2005 Thruxton: carbs= 65 hp?
06 Speed Triple; EFI=130HP!
07 Daytona 675: EFI=125hp!
08 Street Triple 675; EFI=110hp
is there a pattern here?

2005 Thruxton: carbs= 65 hp?
06 Speed Triple; EFI=130HP!
07 Daytona 675: EFI=125hp!
08 Street Triple 675; EFI=110hp
is there a pattern here?

:chair: Yep, sure is a pattern...you've jumped threads and ended up in a conversation about Thruxtons...Bugger off back to triple land...:wave:

Cheers mate.....

Stagger Lee

Street Tracker
Go for EFI and keep it efi - I wish mine had it - more power with better milage.

as someones tag line once read ---- carburetor is French for 'leave the fuck alone'.

Seriously the remapping will be easy and I'm sure that our English brothers have plenty of updates already.

KingBear

Hooligan
I like the carbs because they are more authentic in the classic sense. But I've always said that nostalgia suits me only insofar as it serves me, so if FI is the better way to go from a serviceability point of view, that's how I would go.

FrankBlack

Two Stroke
For what it's worth, I have a carb'd Bonnie and an EFI Sportster. There are pros and cons with both (bearing in mind we're also talking different bikes). But different bikes aside, here's what I'd say:

EFI
Slightly better fuel consumption
Factory set to run very lean at 14.7:1 apparently (this is for the Sportster, so check the Thrux factory setup)
More 'modular' when it comes to changing things e.g. you can change fuel management components (not cheap) and settings, depending on the setup. Think you can also get different O2 sensor leads to make it run richer.
Easier to set a flatter air-fuel ratio curve throughout the rev range
Will adapt to different ambient conditions
Not really user serviceable

Carburetor
Old school technology - attractive for some, a pain for others
Easier to work on and service yourself
Cheaper to work on yourself - jets are pretty cheap
Well established and reliable
25 minutes to change jets if you want to do this from season to season i.e. if your climate changes severely affect your fuelling

If I had to make a choice it'd be difficult, but I'd probably still opt for carbs, personally. That's to do with the pros listed above, but also because I ride a Triumph mainly for nostalgia/ sense of authenticity rather than performance. I'd go for EFI on a performance machine.

Nodster

Banned
hey, just one thing I've noticed as this in my 1st efi injun - I miss the smell of go-go juice, only get a reminder when I fill up! :chin:

DavidC

Rocker
My thoughts: I have a total of 17,000 miles on two '07 Bonnevilles with no carb problems - or any problems for that matter. The carbs seem to work well and, as Frank said, are easy for the rider to adjust. With the limited use most of us get from our bikes due to weather, efi is not a must have. I like it in cars - a lot.
I'd take a carb model if I had the choice.