EfI Bonnie hard to start

dexxter

Scooter
The dealer says the ignition glitch only happens to the vertical twin family (Bonnie, Scrambler, and Thruxton), starting with EFI versions.

Sinkers

Scooter
I have this exact problem that you have explained well already.

My dealer said it's probably just because it's new (2012 Steve McQueen T100 Bonnie).

It is strange however that nobody seems to have come up with a solution.

By the way I had the same problem on my 2007 Tiger 1050 only it made horrible noises when it wouldn't start. It growled at me as it didn't want to get up at 6:20am to take me to work and have to sit outside in the cold all day. Only happened in winter though on really cold days. The sprag clutches used to go on those bikes. The bonnie doesn't make such sounds.

dexxter

Scooter
"My dealer said it's probably just because it's new (2012 Steve McQueen T100 Bonnie)."

My 2011 Bonnie has had this problem since day-one, in May of 2011 (I now have 11,300 miles). When slightly-warmer weather returns, I will try the starting method suggested by our Kiwi friend: to hit the starter button as gauge needles hit max sweep. Take comfort that the bike always does start - though it shouldn't take 2, 3, 4, or even 5 tries!

dexxter

Scooter
You didn't read the earlier posts. Waiting for the system to boot itself up does nothing to solve the problem - and it only occurs with the twins.

Mark

750cc
You didn't read the earlier posts. Waiting for the system to boot itself up does nothing to solve the problem - and it only occurs with the twins.

actually I did read it and haven't had this problem myself nor have I met anyone who has, sorry you're having grief

nzkiwi

Scooter
My start problem has vanished so far this summer. Our summer has been hot, at least for us. nighttime 17 /18 degrees C, daytime 22/26 degrees C. Like any problem you don't miss it when it goes away. But indications are this fail to start problem is affected by ambient temperatures. Anyone else experience the same? either had the problem and it went away in summer, or didn't have the problem and started having it as winter approached.

dexxter

Scooter
Ah, those are dreamy temps (not often seen in northwest Washington state). I haven't noticed any change regarding the glitch related to ambient temperature, but I'll pay closer attention in the future. 'Glad your starts are now consistent. It's winter here, so the ongoing experiment - for me - will have to wait a while.

Wheelhorse

Scooter
Knock on wood, my 2010SE could sit for three weeks and I could go out and fire it life on the first attempt. No battery tender either.

Could one of you post up a video of your bike doing this kick out?

dexxter

Scooter
This problem has nothing to do with the battery; I can let my bike sit for 3 weeks, too, and have it start right up. Or not. Or, start it up and ride for 30 minutes, stop for gas, and then it doesn't start until the 2nd or 3rd try. There's no pattern to it.
I'd post a video, but I (embarrassingly) don't have any kind of camera equipment. Yep, that's right. 'Sorry.

Keith Harding

Two Stroke
dexxter,
I feel your pain, mate. I used to have this sort of thing happen all the time with my (brand new) Royal Enfield and it used to pi$$ me off no end. If it happened with the Bonnie too I think I would have to shoot it and give up biking... by a Vespa or something.

dexxter

Scooter
The problem is finally solved (thanks to someone posting the cure on triumphrat.net). As of today, I have started the bike consistently over 20 times, with no side effects (for the first time in nearly 2 years of ownership).
Here's what my dealer/tech used to rewire a couple of connections on the ECM:

02-02-2013, 08:10 AM #156 (permalink)
JustPete
SuperStock
Main Motorcycle: Bonneville

I don't know the cause of the starting issue but I'm sure Triumph does and can correct if they so desire but....

Remove the BO wire from pin A33 and the YN wire from pin B6 on the ECM connectors. Verify using a meter that you have the correct pins before proceeding.
You first remove the purple lock from the end of each connector, pry gently on the sides and it will pop out. Look inside and you will see a black plastic hook, looks like a shell extractor, very gentle pry this back from the pin to allow the pin to be removed. Use a plastic or wood pick to do this. After removing the pins install blanking pins in their place.
Pull the removed wires through the boots, this will give you enough wire length. Slide a piece of heat shrink over one wire, place the pins on each other and wrap with a fine strand of copper wire. Slide the heat shrink over the pins and shrink. This method will allow return to original if desired.

It's uses the clutch switch as the ground signal and takes the ECM out of the picture.

Pros - it cranks
Still have clutch safety interlock
Still have side stand safety interlock
Neutral light ground signal still linked to ECM
Cons - anytime you hit the starter button with the clutch pulled it will
crank
You should not have to do this, Triumph should have corrected
this for you

LoVel

Two Stroke
Thank you for this information. Mine actually got beter when I replaced the Triumph horn with an aftermartket product. Don't know why it worked. I pulled the tank and added a relay switch and an inline fuse to the new horn.

I have printed this info and if the problem returns I will be going this route.

dexxter

Scooter
All I can make of the intermittent problem is that the very moment the start-button is pressed, there is enough of a voltage drop for the ECM to (sometimes) decide to not allow the starter to proceed. The above modification to the ECM prevents it from responding to this contrived "threshold."
The triumphrat.net website had many disgruntled Bonnie owners with this problem, including those with 2012s and '13s. Triumph should consider rectifying this situation, but in the meantime, I am finally enjoying consistent starts!

rodhotter

Scooter
seen several issue with TOO MUCH!! safety as mentioned the kickstand,especially as it gets dirty with age, then theres the clutch safety, my new 2012 bonnie would stall for no good reason after starting in ideal weather, i have seen articles about overriding both prolly on my TO-DO list