Ecm- Resetting

uk59

Scooter
I have a 2009 T100 Bonneville with NH toga silencers. I was told if I remove the battery and let it sit for a while the ECM will revert the map back to the stock tune. I'm considering putting the stock silencers back on the bike but the dealer wants $100 to remap. If the ECM will reset to stock then I don't need the dealer for this. Does anyone know if this will work?

dschief

750cc
If you are talking about the fi mapping, it doesn't sound right to me. The maps are in a flash memory, which is non volatile. The only thing you will lose should be what the computer (ecm) has "learned" as you rode. Otherwise, eveytime your battery goes dead you would have to get the ecm reflashed.

LINDY

Two Stroke
Try doing an internet serch for "Tune ECU" . If you already have a laptop, all you would need is $15 interface cable and a free software download and you can do the remapping yourself. {:shh:so I've read, I have not used such method for myself.}

uk59

Scooter
dschief this makes more sense than unhooking the battery. Lindy, I tried an internet search and found "tuneecu.com" with all kinds of maps for Triumph fuel injection. Thanks for the help.

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
First, a 100 bucks sounds to expensive for what is takes to reflash the ECU. Is the dealer your writing about the same one who sold you the bike? He sure ain't doing his customers any favors by charging that much for something that might take his mech's just a few minutes to do.
I mean the most time consuming part of the job is unscrewing the seat to gain access to ther plug.
What is the reason you aren't happy with the NH togas? They are on my short list of replacement muffs so I'd be interested in anything an actual user might have to say about them.

uk59

Scooter
This is a 50th anniversary Bonnie and I had to go two states away to find it. My closest dealer is a hundred miles from home. Maybe he thinks he can get $100 because of the distance. Since Lindy recommended the internet search for map downloads and an interface cable I'm looking at going that route.

The togas are not real loud unless you get on it hard. The noise is probably just my old ears and me wanting to change something because it's spring. They aggravate the hell out of dogs. They help scare off the deer on the roadsides- that's a plus. Togas look better than the stock mufflers. Hmmm... maybe I just need some ear plugs.

LINDY

Two Stroke
Since Lindy recommended the internet search for map downloads and an interface cable I'm looking at going that route.

Since then I decided to get set-up myself, Program downloaded,just waiting for the cable that is literally on a slow boat from China:lol3:

bs20ric

moped
You may be thinking about Engine Management Adaption, where the ECM is capable of learning about local environs, ie how high above sea level the bike generally runs at - or changes in exhaust back pressure, dirty, or free flowing air filter ;)

Norman Hyde say the ECM is capable of adapting to their pipes and aftermaket filters (but not enough to additionally compensate for a non standard airbox) so it may be possible to carry out what is known as a forced adaptive proceedure to compensate for the reversion from NH silencers back to stock exhausts.

The forced adaptive proceedure involves starting the bike without choke and not touching the throttle and then just leave it to idle for 20/25minutes.

Disconecting the battery for a length of time may possibly allow the adaptive ECM to forget what it has previously learnt and stored, but certainly wont change any (fuel) mapping flashed into the memory. So if your bike has had an aftermarket map downloaded at some time in the past, a forced adaptaion will not alter that.

ric.

Last edited:

uk59

Scooter
ric, my bike was remapped when I changed the exhaust so I will have to put the stock map in the ECM if I put the stock exhaust back on. I ordered a new interface cable for the "tuneecu.com" freeware to remap this myself. Being able to DIY will save us time and if we want to experiment we will not have to depend on a dealer and everything that entails.

Thanks to everyone for the help with my question on remapping and to those who made it possible by creating the tuneecu website.

Kappy

Two Stroke
Hi UK59,

I do not know how old your ears are but I suggest to go for the ear plugs instead.
I have the same NH mufflers on my T100 and was actually quite surprised that those are not too loud at all ( I have outgrown the age were one is in need of a lot of public attention...my ears came to life in 1960 -:) ). I think they are period - right great looking mufflers!
Maybe that would help to keep the noise level low ?

Kappy

Bigted

Two Stroke
You may be thinking about Engine Management Adaption, where the ECM is capable of learning about local environs, ie how high above sea level the bike generally runs at - or changes in exhaust back pressure, dirty, or free flowing air filter ;)

Norman Hyde say the ECM is capable of adapting to their pipes and aftermaket filters (but not enough to additionally compensate for a non standard airbox) so it may be possible to carry out what is known as a forced adaptive proceedure to compensate for the reversion from NH silencers back to stock exhausts.

The forced adaptive proceedure involves starting the bike without choke and not touching the throttle and then just leave it to idle for 20/25minutes.

Disconecting the battery for a length of time may possibly allow the adaptive ECM to forget what it has previously learnt and stored, but certainly wont change any (fuel) mapping flashed into the memory. So if your bike has had an aftermarket map downloaded at some time in the past, a forced adaptaion will not alter that.

ric.

ADVICE: If you are going to do the forced adaptation 20 minute idle method you should disconnect your ai first otherwise it will cause your pipes to go extremely hot and blue up big time....ask me how I know :)

uk59

Scooter
Kappy, I am going to try the earplugs before going any further. What happened to your bike Bigted?