Early oil change

Roger

Street Tracker
Because of a new job, I don't get out to ride as often as I want to any more. The Bonnie was parked for a week. Last Friday evening, wanted to go for a ride. Do the quick checks on the bike and noticed that the oil level was up to the top of the sight glass. Shit!

Check the fuel tap, damn, it's ON. Oh well. Turn the tap OFF and park the bike. Check the oil and it smells of gas. Go buy some new oil, NOT ON SALE btw. Saturday morning, prop the bike up and dump the oil and filter. Drain for half hour and tipped the bike side to side to let trapped oil run down. Spin on new filter and fill the engine to half way on the sight glass; with exactly 4 liters of oil. And here I thought they take a little more oil with a new filter. Test start and check level. All good now.

Took the bike for a long ride and it runs perfect. Filled it up with fuel and added 4 ozs. of Seafoam. Now I make sure the tap is off whenever I stop. Don't want to run the risk that there is actually a small problem with one of the needles and waste more oil. The carbs will have to come off though but that isn't going to happen till the bike gets parked for winter.

I really don't like these CVKs at all. Total power hole under 3000 RPM. I know there are ways to overcome this but I would rather put my time and effort into carbs that I like. And there are better carbs to be had. Pretty sure I'm going to ditch them for something else come this winter.

Roger

Street Tracker
Stuck oil filter

Oh ya! That damned oil filter was cranked on so tight, I couldn't budge it by hand. Idiot mechanics!!!!!

10332CAT.jpg

Get a 1" wide tie down strap and remove the ratchet end. Take the 8' foot long strap, sit down on the right side of the Bonnie and clean off the oil filter with a rag. Feed about 4' of the strap over the exhaust pipe and frame down past the oil filter on the left side of it. Push the strap up the left side of the filter and hold it there with your left hand. Now wrap about 3 or 4 winds of the strap around the filter with your right hand. Hold the wrapped strap onto the filter with your left hand and then pull the loose end of the strap back up over the frame and exhaust to the right side of the filter. Now pull the right side strap while holding a bit of tension on the left side strap. Pull a bit harder on the right and the filter spins off. You will have to brace the bike from falling on you. Or have someone hold the bike while you pull on the strap.

This might even work with 1/4" or 5/16" rope.

Before you say I should have gone out to buy a filter wrench, on a Saturday? Are you kidding me? The day satan rides to work on a snowmobile will be the day I step into that shopping hell that happens every weekend around here. Every promosexual in the city is out there buying all the crap that they don't need.

Last edited:

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Interesting, I never turn off the petcock and have never had a single problem with fuel in my oil in 7 years.

monty

Street Tracker
Interesting, I never turn off the petcock and have never had a single problem with fuel in my oil in 7 years.

Quite. I would have thought that if the needle was stuck it would have dumped the fuel out of the carb overflow onto the floor.

Puzzled. Thanks for flagging this up.

Monty.

strokerlmt

Oh ya! That damned oil filter was cranked on so tight, I couldn't budge it by hand. Idiot mechanics!!!!!

10332CAT.jpg

Get a 1" wide tie down strap and remove the ratchet end. Take the 8' foot long strap, sit down on the right side of the Bonnie and clean off the oil filter with a rag. Feed about 4' of the strap over the exhaust pipe and frame down past the oil filter on the left side of it. Push the strap up the left side of the filter and hold it there with your left hand. Now wrap about 3 or 4 winds of the strap around the filter with your right hand. Hold the wrapped strap onto the filter with your left hand and then pull the loose end of the strap back up over the frame and exhaust to the right side of the filter. Now pull the right side strap while holding a bit of tension on the left side strap. Pull a bit harder on the right and the filter spins off. You will have to brace the bike from falling on you. Or have someone hold the bike while you pull on the strap.

This might even work with 1/4" or 5/16" rope.

Before you say I should have gone out to buy a filter wrench, on a Saturday? Are you kidding me? The day satan rides to work on a snowmobile will be the day I step into that shopping hell that happens every weekend around here. Every promosexual in the city is out there buying all the crap that they don't need.

Thx for the tip. Personally, for a filter on to tight I take a large philips head screwdriver, rubber mallet, drive through the filter and the filter comes of easily.
LMT

I like the ratchet tie down idea because I have plenty of those. However a trip to Harbor Freight and a long time ago I got the oil filter wrench vise grips. Has saved me tons. I'll have to try the tie down trick once though. Luckily I have a wheel chock so this should make it easier. As descriptive as it is...I wish there was a picture of this process

Now I use Purolator Pure One oil filters because it has a rough texture on the filter body that makes getting it off by hand easy. Buy a few of them and when they do their rebate. It comes back to like $3-$4 a filter when you eventually get the rebate check in the mail.

You can also buy Bosch filters that fit from Rock Auto for cheap too.

Roger

Street Tracker
Okay guys. I have no idea how the fuel got into the oil. The air bleed appears to be the lowest port on the airbox side, so you would think the airbox would fill with fuel first. If I ever nail down how this happened, I will post it here. Scary though, when you look at your sight glass and see that the volume has increased.

Thx for the tip. Personally, for a filter on to tight I take a large philips head screwdriver, rubber mallet, drive through the filter and the filter comes of easily.
LMT

That's really messy but I have done that to car filters. I couldn't see myself doing it to the tiny little filter on the Bonnie.

As descriptive as it is...I wish there was a picture of this process.

This weekend, I will recreate the process and snap pictures. I will use a real camera and not my Ipod.

Brylcreem

Scooter
I've had this problem with fuel for The 2 yrs I had my 05 bonny, when I first noticed took her to my local bike shop, they fitted new carb kit with jets and gaskets and checked them over, new oil was put in, and after a few months the level was rising up again, I started turning off my fuel tap after the first episode so guess not that, in the end I had the float needles changed and more fresh oil a few months ago, still waiting for results fingers crossed, I don't see how it gets in there myself, was told bad starting could have been flooding the cylinder and getting past the rings? But never had bad starting.

Last edited:

normandy

Street Tracker
I had the crankcase of a 750 honda carb fill the crankcase with fuel.

If the float valve sticks open or is blocked by a particle and the gas tap is on, the fuel will run into the venturi and into the air filter or the crankcase depending on the angle of slope your bike is parked on.

Now I use Purolator Pure One oil filters because it has a rough texture on the filter body that makes getting it off by hand easy. Buy a few of them and when they do their rebate. It comes back to like $3-$4 a filter when you eventually get the rebate check in the mail.

I use them too, but I don't like the hideous mustard color. I spray painted the last two I used.