E85 fuel for Scrambler 2007 (carburetor model)?

Old_Eric

Scooter
E85 fuel (85% ethanol) is much cheaper than gasoline. Some consider that it also increases torque on low rpms and power on high rpms. Because ethanol contains less energy than gasoline the consumption may increase a little.

What do you think, is the new E85 suitable for carburetor Scrambler just after changing the jets larger without any other modifications? Is there a real danger of accelerated corrosion of fuel system parts as they often warn?

I've heard that some guys have used E85 fuel in old carburetor cars with manual choke left partially on, without any other measures.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
It is significantly cheaper. I wouldn't risk it with my Bonneville, but I have an older bike I might do a 50 - 50 mix with. I wonder what the rejet guidance is for ethanol?

Mahart

Two Stroke
My factory manual for an '08 Bonneville says no more ethanol than 10 or 15%. E85 would put you far outside of the max.

mikenva

Rocker
I would run it if they had it here.Just dont let the bike set long with a tank of it.You can run more timing with it allso higher comp ratio.It maybe alittle harder on rubber parts allso.The main thing it will draw water dont let it set long.

Old_Eric

Scooter
Now I've made an experiment with RE85. I filled my Scrambler's tank to the half - and had a 70 kms ride both on tarmac and gravel.

The motor ran smoothly without any extra noise. The torque was excellent on climbing to a hill. I just needed to adjust the choke switch to different positions while riding. While riding constant speed I could use the choke as "cruise control" without turning the throttle at all. When coming to a crossing I just turned the choke to lesser level to slow down the rpms.

By changing the carburetor main jets I could perhaps ride without handling the choke. But I'm not going to do that yet because the RE85 fuel is not available near or in my home town.

So, don't worry. This was just an interesting experiment.

henrys

Street Tracker
E85 requires about 30-40% more fuel to achieve the same amount of power. That right there negates any saving you might have on fuel costs. It's practically pointless on a non-forced induction engines.

On the other hand for cars/bikes with turbo's its a godsend as its 110% octane at the pump.

mikenva

Rocker
I dont think its 30 to 40% stright meth is only 18% if i am right, I would think it would be more in the 15 to 20% range .but you are right on a stock motor you wouldnt get much gain but you could rase comp ratio a bunch and pick up real hp and torque.12 or 13 to 1 compression ratio will lite these motors up.

henrys

Street Tracker
I dont think its 30 to 40% stright meth is only 18% if i am right, I would think it would be more in the 15 to 20% range .but you are right on a stock motor you wouldnt get much gain but you could rase comp ratio a bunch and pick up real hp and torque.12 or 13 to 1 compression ratio will lite these motors up.

I have a lot of experience with E85 and I can guarantee it's 30-40% more fuel. It's not worth the effort unless you have a highly modified motor and need the extra octane.

http://www.raceone85.com

Another issue is most of the stations don't have exactly 85% methanol mix. Most of the time when you're tuning a race turbo motor you need a meth sensor to see what your true mix is to make sure you're not going to blow the motor. Cars designed to run E85 have a meth sensor and adjust automatically.

Last edited:

mikenva

Rocker
yea you are right if you compare that to 87 octane stright gas its 30 to 33 %.I allso found something funny the guys that bitch about e10 its only 3% less mpg.Who would even notice 3 % lol.
As far as e85 goes on our bikes if you didnt change anything other then comp ratio and timing and could run 12 to1 or higher comp ratio your mpg would go up so that might take alittle of that 30% away.How much who knows .