dumb question about batteries

BonnieLass

Uncensored
My battery won't hold a charge anymore so I popped into Pep Boys (open on Sundays) to get a replacement. The one they carry comes with 6 tubes of acid... I guess I've never actually been the one to install a battery, so I haven't seen one in this stage. Is this the right kind of battery? (it's AGM and matches the stock one)

Thanks,
BL

BonnieLass

Uncensored
maintenance free vs factory activated

It seems like there's factory activated batteries that arrive with the acid already in them, and there's one's like this that come with the bottles of acid to be dumped in... Apparently you add the liquid and then put a sealing strip over the holes and never add liquid again.

So, once activated they both seem to be "maintenance free"... nothing to do but run it and/or charge it. Does that sound right?

D9

Vendor
Had to do that with a new scooter battery about two years ago... just followed the directions/precautions...
worked fine, but it was a first. Acid is spooky sh*t - be careful.

edit - found on KTM forum, this is pretty much the same as what I did

http://slorider.com/KTM/tech/BatteryPrep/

Last edited:

koifarm

Hooligan
BL, agreed with D9, just be very careful with the acid stuff, I'd use a baking soda/water mix ( 5 Tbs Baking soda/ 1 quart of water) to rinse off after you seal it up, that would neutralize the acid remaining on the outside of the battery. You should rinse thoroughly with clear water after applying the soda and letting it work for a bit, it will fizz up when it neutralizes the acid. A good precaution to take.

Last edited:

Twodogs

Street Tracker
The batteries that you can fill and then throughout their life be able to check and top up if needed (use demineralised water when topping up) are a better battery in my opinion. I found I get more life out of them then the maintenance free type because there is NO such thing as maintenance free, just the manufacturers way of getting you back to the counter sooner.
When you have filled it, give it a nice long low charge (6 - 12 hours) before you put it in the bike. The batteries are precharged (Dry) but this just helps it out to a longer life.
Use safety glasses or goggles when filling with acid, a full face shield is not that silly as a better option and wear crap clothes because if you get this stuff on them it will seem ok at the time but when you wash them they will come out with all little holes where the acid has done its nasty. Some may laugh at the safety sam approach but I figure that when I go for a ride a good set of eyes is a great advantage.

LoVel

Two Stroke
It's the same kind of battery I bought for my last bike. The difference is I called the motorcycle place and they told me if I would go ahead and pay for it they would fill it and charge it. Asked me to wait about an hour before picking it up and it would be ready. I never got to play with the acid.

Robin and I had the same issue in West Virginia with her Bonnie and we stopped at a motorcycle dealership and again they filled it and charged it.

I think the best thing about this type of battery is that it is brand new when you purchase it. You don't have to worry about how long it was on the shelf because it wasn't activated until you bought it.

I guess I forgot to answer your question. Yes it sounds right.

Motley

750cc
Yes, you have the correct type of battery BL.

These types are batteries are more common now. Storage and transport of activated batteries is dangerous so it's now up to the end user to activate the battery, by adding the acid.,

It's really no big deal. Pour the contents of the bank of six acid tubes, at the same time, into the battery. Let it sit for a few hours until the gasses have cleared. Add the lid/seal and then charge it, no problem.

Best to fill it outside though as the gasses can be corrosive.

KingBear

Hooligan
After almost five years I replaced my battery this past Spring with one I bought from JT's in Frederick. They come without a charge to keep from shortening their life, and are charged for the customer before they take it home. I took mine as is and charged it on my own battery charger using the low setting to obtain a slow, deep charge. Worked out great.