Do you Use the Choke?

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
Gang,

Just wondering if the choke (enricher...whatever you wanna call it) is neccesary with the warm weather? The bike starts, maybe a little low on rpm's, but by the time I get my gear on she's ready to go, without choke in warm weather. So, do I really need it, or os it just for cold starts?

That's it for now.

MOSES

750cc
I use mine if the bikes not warm, even on a 100 degree day. I like to crank the bike before I get on alot of the time and I don't like to let the bike Idle low to save my plugs from fouling. I reach down and pop it right after I pull off. My plugs look the same at 4000 as they did at 500. Works for me

KingBear

Hooligan
My bike won't start cold without the choke no matter how warm the weather is. If I've been riding it will start right up without it.

drlapo

Hooligan
I use it every time I start a cold engine. The engine will idle much too low without the enrichener. This beats the crap out of the crank bearings. Remember these are plain bearing engines and need RPM and oil film to protect the bearings. There's little oil film at low rpm.

CAPTDON

Street Tracker
Choke

Stone Cold- yeah for 30 sec while I gear up. Gargemate never does cept when cold. I agree slow idle on a cold engine is not good!

Hedge

American Infidel
I have recently found out that I needn't use the choke in the summertime. It starts just fine dead cold and idles without any problems. My bike is warmed up by the time I get my gear on.

mikenva

Rocker
Its kinda simple you dont need it unless you need it lol.I never use mine in warm weather.By the way these motors have a ton of oil pressure cold more at a low idle cold then at a normal idle when there hot.PUT A OIL PRESSURE GAUGE ON YOU WILL SEE I AM RIGHT.reving a cold engine is not a good thing anyway.

CAPTDON

Street Tracker
Choke/ OP

Yeah the Bonne will give good cold OP. Dont want TOO slow idle tho. I put new plugs in the ole girl today. The ones that came out- like new @ 8000+ mi! I had the new ones so I figured If iI take out the old ones I might as well put the $2 new ones in. I will clean & keep the old ones for spares. The old plugs that came out were like new!! I checked them @ 4000 mi & all was well. No difference now! I saw no difference in performance? "Maybe" a better idle w/o choke? I ALWAYS use the choke (enricher) for 1 min when starting. It will start w/o, but it will give me (w/ adjustment) 1 min to get my gear together. Then I shut it off! The plugs were SO good- w/ a little wire brush cleaning- I could sell them as new! I guess thats a good sign? I use the choke to keep the idle up while I get my gear to to the bike. I dont think 1 min will (plugs) will do any harm? Man I coulda saved $4 on new plugs!!!
Cant believe I wasted all that money!!!!:rolleyes:

Jimi X

moped
I us my choke, part way out if the bike was shut down approx. 2 hrs. Any less, don't need it so don't bother. First start of the day, 3/4 out, shut off within 1km traveled. When it's cold below, +10C, YEP! All the way out! And when it's really cold, -5C to -10C bundle up and talk really nice to her, give her all the richness you can give, and kiss the gas tank (even if she tells you to FO and leave me alone) and say "You know you waaaannt it!" :D

Have never had my plugs out in 21,000kms. I can't believe I typed that, but I've had no reason to even inspect! Maybe I'll do it this fall, when I'm bored.

Last edited:

Hiltz

Scooter
Don't choke me Bro

I have 8K on my Scram, Ride it every day to work. Almost never use the choke. Maybe 5 times in 2+ years. Starts instantly every time. Let it warm while I put on my gloves and I'm off. I live in So Cal and it rarely gets cold here.

KingBear

Hooligan
Y'know it probably has a little to do with the way your mixture is adjusted, maybe even the Kalifornia emissions, who knows? But I can turn my motor over several times without the choke and it won't catch and stay running. By pulling the choke and twisting the throttle twice before turning it over she'll fire up with the first push of the button every time.

marthruxton

Two Stroke
I am running CR carbs. While they come with a choke, I have not used it. In fact I don't even give it gas when starting. All I do is hit the button.

bonZa

Street Tracker
I have recently found out that I needn't use the choke in the summertime. It starts just fine dead cold and idles without any problems. My bike is warmed up by the time I get my gear on.

likewise.

even yesterday it started deadcold, (although rough idle) no choke and it's the middle of winter here in Melbourne Australia at a temperature of 14 deg C. (57 deg F for USA friends)