do you need to lube the cables?

steamfitter

Two Stroke
hi all. trying to keep up on all the maintenance required of a bonnie and i have a question for you all. do you have to lube the cables on an 08 bonnie? i can't find anything in the owners manual or tech book on lubing. only thing it lists is checking and adjusting. seen on another site that not all cables need lubing. does the cables need lubing and if so what lube should i use and how do i accomplish it? no problems with either clutch or brake right now i just like to keep up on all of it. keith

It's not a bad idea to lube them. I guess if they're teflon-lined, it might not be necessary, but Barnett recommends a lube for their teflon-lined cables, and we don't know if the Triumph cables are teflon-lined.

I put a thin film of light grease on the speedo cable once a year, after cleaning it off with a paper towel and some WD40 or paint thinner. I use a lube injector and an aerosol can of "cable lube" on the clutch cable about twice a year, and occasionally on the throttle cables. The throttle cables are more of a chore to get done, but probably don't need the lube as often as the clutch cable.

The speedo cable can be pulled out of the sheath from the bottom. The clutch cable can be loosened at the bottom and then disconnected at the top. The throttle cables have to be undone from the top after opening the housing; pay attention to how they go together to get them back in correctly. And make sure the clutch and throttle are adjusted properly when you put them back together.

A dry teflon lube would probably also be a good choice of lubricant.

I have always subscribed to the theory that if it slides, rotates or moves in any way, lube it! Of course mine sits outside during riding season so I hit it with the old style oil can a couple of times a year.

marthruxton

Two Stroke
I like a product called "Dry Slide". It is a graphite type product that only lubricates and does not attract any other debris. Most motorcycle shops carry it.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Yes.

At least, you should lube the speedo cable. Go look back at all the threads that popped up when temps got below about 45 or so... that "whining" noise. That's the speedo cable chafing against the inside of it's housing. Lube lube lube.

you should lube the throttle cables, speedo cable, and clutch cable.

a little lube is always a good thing. Broken cables miles from home suck!