DIY strip and clear your tank....Advice?

Bullitt

Two Stroke
Decided to re-do the tank on my '72 bonneville Sunday morning. Removed tank (1/2 tank still inside), started sanding with 320 grit, then 400 grit, about an hour or so sanding. Then taped over sides where previous paint was, then off to the auto parts store to pick up a can of "color match" automotive metaflake. Sprayed over existing coat of the same, allowed 20 minutes to dry, then taped over that, and applied a chrome color indoor/outdoor acrylic enamel to second color on sides of tank. allowed another 20 minutes then coated with "crystal clear" aerosol enamel I found in my cabinet. On a scale of one to ten, it turned out a solid "8"...was very happy with results....Total cost...$7.29! Not professional by any means, but looks absolutely perfect for me...

Got a pic or two you could share? I'd love to see the handiwork.

Bullitt

Two Stroke
What's the general opinion on tank sealers? I'm just getting my tank back from the powder coater (went a different route) and figure I need to have it cleaned out before I can mount it. Any suggestions or advice?

mark66

TT Racer
Make sure the one you use is made for E10 fuel. Can't remember the names but there's several out there. Maybe use the search function here....I remember Monty had a thread going about using a tank sealer.

Bullitt

Two Stroke
isn't it a bad idea to powder coat a tank? that's what I've heard. not sure so I figured I'd ask.

Craigore, I'm reading your response as I'm practically en route to go pick up my freshly (powder) coated tank....and now I'm concerned. :eeek:

Did you hear why this might be a bad idea??

Craigore

TT Racer
If you so much as even dent the tank a little, the powder coating will flake off, where as auto paint has some elasticity... or something? I am not sure, this is just what I've heard.

Bullitt

Two Stroke
I don't have any good pics of the tank mounted back on the bike but I have a few pics of the freshly finished tank on my blog, The Bullitt.

Not too bad, eh?

There is nothing wrong with a powdercoated tank. It is just as good as paint and more durable. The problem is that you can't do metal repair as easily. No dents, no problem.

nohawk

Rocker
rodburner is right about the primer being real brutal.
1296271369.jpg

Ive used 2 cans of (14 bucks each) aircraft stripper and this last coat has been on for an hour. Either the white spots left behind the scraped part in the pic is body filler or some sanding has to happen.

Craigore

TT Racer
sweet blog, bullitt. your bike looks great, i'm impressed.

ps- what did you pay to have the tank powder coated? i might go this route.

austat2

Scooter
when you use a chemical paint stripper wrap the tank in plastic to trap in the chemicals it definately helps the process

Bullitt

Two Stroke
sweet blog, bullitt. your bike looks great, i'm impressed.
ps- what did you pay to have the tank powder coated? i might go this route.

Craigore - glad you like the blog...I've been having a lot of fun with it.

I went to a new shop that just opened in my area and the owner loved my bike. I got all of that stuff you see I in the pics (levers, dogbone, bars, headlight, etc.) powder coated matte black and had the tank powder coated "silver alloy metallic" with a matte clear coat and think I only paid $200 for the lot. Again, new shop, cool guys, and a real appreciation for Britt iron got me that deal. Good luck!!

when you use a chemical paint stripper wrap the tank in plastic to trap in the chemicals it definitely helps the process

Austat2 - what kind of plastic are you referring to? The chemical stripper I used ate through plastic like a mo'fo. I made the mistake of mixing the stripper in a stack of 3-4 red keg cups. It took all of 2 mintues for the chemical to eat through all of them and drip that stuff all over my yard...and some on my leg which was less than fun.

austat2

Scooter
i use the plastic that i cover cars when i spray thin clear stuff never had it eat through it before

nohawk

Rocker
Mine is getting powder coated again. I sprayed carb cleaner on it by mistake and the finish turned to shit. It wasnt cleared or anything but its getting clear powder coat this time, dont know if the clear would have kept the spray from screwing it up or not. This will make four coats of powder and one coat of clear now.

Bullitt

Two Stroke
After having the tank powder coated for some time now, I'm having my regrets. I wish I just left the metal bare as that's what I really wanted in the first place. Live and learn I guess....

Bullitt

Two Stroke
I guess my regret is that I thought the powder coating was going to make it look like metal (silver alloy was the color chosen) but it really just looks like a stock silver paint job with a matte finish. I still like it...it's just not unique enough for me. I hate pulling up to go for a ride with my club and looking like I have a standard paint job, especially when I don't.

I've been trying to cover more bikes than just my own on my blog. Here's a recent post of my bike with some glamor shots; http://thebullitt.blogspot.com/2011/03/new-shoes.html

Craigore

TT Racer
Wow, very nice. What kind of bars are you running? Those look trick as hell with the blacked out clamp... very nice.

Bullitt

Two Stroke
Craigore, I have '09 Thruxton bars turned as low as they can go. As you can see, everything has been powder coated black. Still not sure they're low enough for me. I'm looking into some of the 1" clip-on options...