Dim Headlight

thruxiegirl

TT Racer
I noticed the Bonnie headlight is dim compared to the Thruxton.
Put them side by side, yep big difference. It is lousy riding in the dark, the high bean is bright. I hooked the battery charger up it reads full charge. I set the charger on 6 AMPS and gave it a low charge. Within mins it read charged.

The bike was kept in doors for a year at the Dealer. Should I take the
juice out of the battery and add more? Or replace light bulb or battery?

The bike starts normal, just a dim light. I don't ride much at night, I have poor night vision. Tis the season to get this fixed

loxpump

Rocker
If the battery has enough juice to turn the starter it has plenty for the headlight. 60 watt 12v headlight draws about 5 amps. the starter may draw 10 times that much.

rodburner

Rocker
It sounds like the low beam filament is burned out and you`re just running the parking light.Get a new bulb as mentioned or get a whole new sealed beam headlight.

CAPTDON

Street Tracker
Light

My lo beam went out. I put in the zenon from NB.Better. Check to see if there is a film in the lamp housing? Mine had it! BudsHD as well! Windex it out & it will help. The lense SHOULD be clear to see the bulb clearly.

rodburner

Rocker
I didn`t mean a new new headlight.I meant regular sealed beam headlight like you have in your car.It will fit right into your Bonnie`s headlight bucket. Lots of people have switched to a Sylvania [can`t remember the model number] for about $14.
Sylvania XV6024

Last edited:

Shorty

Two Stroke
To add a bit to rodburner's info...any 6024 series sealed beam will work. I'm also running the Sylvania type in Halogen...H6024XV at about $16 US at Autozone.
Just a FYI. This weekend I found that my headlights were totally inop but the bike started fine. Found the starter/headlight relay was crapped-out on the headlight contactor portion. The replacement was a GP Sorenson #MR78 also purchased at Autozone. It's located under the left sidepanel on the standard Bonnies...facing the bike it's the relay to the far right.

Shorty

Last edited:

KingBear

Hooligan
When the headlamp bulbs on my Toyota Camry blew after about four years, I replaced them with the high-dollar Sylvania SilverStars which were supposed to be all that. I found that the light was whiter, but no brighter than regular bulbs.

After less than two years both of the SilverStars blew within three weeks of each other. I replaced them with standard bulbs, and I won't make that same chump purchase of SilverStars ever again.

Last edited:

bdavanza

Street Tracker
My Silverstar headlight bulbs on my 01 Civic seem to burn out quickly, too. In fact I'll be replacing one today. I also tried the 6024 on my Triumph and it seemed to burn out quickly as well. I know that there are motorcycle specific sealed beams available and they have heavier duty filaments. I will not buy another Silverstar although it was much brighter than the OEM Triumph lamp.
-Ben

rodburner

Rocker
I have no experience with the Sylvania lights,since I don`t have a stock headlight.I do know that in my dual light setup,the cheap 30w plain old sealed beam light has worked fine for almost 2 years,while the expensive Wagner halogen "high beam" burns out every couple months if I use it or not. I`m putting one of these in next week just for the hellavit,without the blue light and painted black for sure.:stupid:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WAVE...id=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65:1|39:1|240:1318

DavidC

Rocker
Strange...My first '07's headlight always bothered me; never could get it positioned just right. I thought Triumph headlights just sucked. My current 07, out of the box, is good, really good. When I use the brights for dark roads, it lights up like a night football game at halftime. I can see everything, sometimes even the tiny, shiny eyes of deer in the brush plotting my demise.

David: 1
Deer: 0

dscott3509

Two Stroke
I wasn't happy when I did my first night ride on my '08. Really felt like my bicycle's 10W Halogen bulbs light things up better than the stock light. I'll mess with the way the light is aimed, then when I get some cash I'll upgrade the light.

Hedge

American Infidel
Go to any Foreign Auto Parts store and ask them for a Hella H4 55/100 Bulb, it is the same bulbs used in Porsche's. I found this out when I found some old Porsche inventory and found some brand new Hella H4's in their boxes. I checked it out and they looked the same as the bulb inside the Bonneville headlight. I swapped it out and I had a flame-thrower for lighting ever since. I reported back to the forum and many said I might burn out my electrical system or blow fuses. i have had the bulb in their for almost a year now and no problems whatsoever. It is a fantastic upgrade and won't cost you more than $15 bucks! Remember not to touch the bulb on installation with your fingers because the oil on your hands will blow them. Handle the bulb with newspaper or paper napkin for installation.