95.2 KB · Views: 1
  • dessert sled.jpg
    dessert sled.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 1
  • dessert sled 3.jpg
    dessert sled 3.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1

strokerlmt

Bud....if you have a moment perhaps you could combine the two threads thx.

Still have to prime the legs. The battery box is is forward and down a little. There is a tray behind the box. With some wire chopping all the electrics fit under the seat. The rectifier and horn bolt onto the box. Thinking about moving the key there as well. A chopped front fender and a tank are buffed with 400 and 600 grit. I have a "dessert sand flat" paint for all the bits.

LMT

Attachments

• IMG_4736.jpg
    IMG_4736.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4737.jpg
    IMG_4737.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4738.jpg
    IMG_4738.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 0

strokerlmt

"Desert Sand" color with flat clear coat. The blue is done all bare wires you see get removed. Rectifier and key go on the battery box. I have wanted to do this for years. I dislike the jumble that is inside the headlight. I found a greattttt skid plate. I buy from and support all Bonneville aftermarket guys and they have been great. This skid plat is solid, for a dirt bike and very very inexpensive. More soon.........LMT

Attachments

• IMG_4785.jpg
    IMG_4785.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4784.jpg
    IMG_4784.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 0
Hey man. Looking forward to seeing the project move along. You're not lacking in ambition.

If I can make one suggestion without sounding critical somehow, it would be that I think you tend to over use one or two colors on your builds and it makes them look a little... flat?

I'm really hoping I'm not being insulting, but if I can just give an example.

For me a motorcycle frame should not be the same color as the gas tank, or other bodywork, or anything big like that. On a bike you have only a handful of big ticket items, visually speaking. These are the frame, bodywork, seat, and wheels. Everything else is kind of secondary. For those larger components to work visually they need to be finished in such a way that they are differentiated from each other by using contrasting finishes or colors, or compatible with one another by using complementary colors and finishes. But not the same.

For example, I think in the pictures above that the color choice on the frame is awesome, however I think using the same color on the rear fender and the grab bar is a mistake (subjective, obviously). I would have to make that fender a different color and match that complementary color to the grab bar, skid plate, and any other accessories that will be on this project.

Additionally I would suggest that the bolts be removed, stripped and left raw or powdercoated black or something. Having bolts painted the same color as everything else makes it look like the thing was just laid in the grass and painted with a spraycan.

Take all of these thoughts as seriously as you want. I'm no genius. Just giving my thoughts on what could really be a cool finished product.

Last edited:

strokerlmt

hey there.....thanks so much for taking the time to give me your thoughts and advice. I don't have a big ego and don't bruise easily. The bolts have duplicates so stainless goes in their place. My weakest link is colors. I have been wrestling with the fenders and the tank. I have color samples and have a darker sand, khaki, and flat black......don't know which. What do you think?
Thx
LMT

Well as a rule I try to stay away from black because I think it's very boring. It looks great on certain things, but I feel like if it's a custom piece it's almost like taking the easy way out. Black will always look... fine, but it will never make you so, "WOW!" Using black would look good and be nice and safe.

I think on a bike like this complementary colors would be great. A darker matte green like Triumph uses on their Scrambler would actually make for a really nice tank and fender combination.

http://www.basinmotorcycleworks.biz/Triumph Scrambler in matte green, Arrow, solo saddle.jpg

Just one quick idea. I'm sure whatever you go with it'll be good. I just try to look at as many bikes as I can and piece together something that suits. Keep it going man!

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
hey there.....thanks so much for taking the time to give me your thoughts and advice. I don't have a big ego and don't bruise easily. The bolts have duplicates so stainless goes in their place. My weakest link is colors. I have been wrestling with the fenders and the tank. I have color samples and have a darker sand, khaki, and flat black......don't know which. What do you think?
Thx
LMT

I saw a photo of someone painting their Hinckley Bonnie a tradition deep brown. I was surprised by how good the bike looked even though brown is by far one of my favorite colors but it might look good with what you have going on with the desert theme and the tan frame...just a thought.

Flaco

750cc
LMT,

I am having a hard time deciding on my frame color also.

My 1/2 chrome and Goodwood Green tank, green fenders w/ gold pinstriping.
FIRM!

Frame colour options:

1. Black w/ zinc plated frame bolts...
Safe choice… Good contrast w/ a fully polished front forks and tree's…
I think it will pop and send the eyes to highlight the tins, forks, custom cooler etc...

2. Green w/ zinc hardware…
(might look like a tropical fish on steroids)

3. Gold w/ black hardware…
(like Clay's) might be to custom for my bobber though…

Now for your build and theme I like Tangs suggestion.
Flat brown…
I like Gloss Root Beer Brown, just not on your build…

TAS has good points too…

(Clay's gold frame Thruxton.)

Carry on mate,

Allin…

Have a safe and enjoyable 4th!

Attachments

• Cherahola Pkwya.jpg
    Cherahola Pkwya.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 0

fender

Street Tracker
Looks like someone else had the same ideas as your build. Take a look at this one on BikeEXFI

I think you contrasting color combination will show off all the smaller details.

2012-triumph-scrambler.jpg

strokerlmt

Nothing like installing a D9 bracket/bike jewelry to give you a warm and fuzzy feeling. FLACO's polished forks installed, NH fork brace with chopped fender bolted to it with rubber spacers. Wiring chopped and in place....just need to do the rectifier....key relocated chopped a bunch of wire off for that and the rectifier. Bitwell bars, fork gators, front wheel torqued, fenders painted and reinstalled.

Attachments

• IMG_4933.jpg
    IMG_4933.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4935.jpg
    IMG_4935.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4936.jpg
    IMG_4936.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4937.jpg
    IMG_4937.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4938.jpg
    IMG_4938.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 0

Flaco

750cc
Damn! Looking great!
I think we should retire and go into the MC business together.
Shoot, with all the parts we've got between us, from each other, your skills and talents and my good looks… Nah…
Think I'll just go to work on my work in progress work…
Carry on...

strokerlmt

Looking good. With the ignition under the seat, what's going into the ignition hole on the D9 bracket?

I have a flat D9 but I put this one on because I think it looks better for this build. I think maybe I might run the oil pressure gauge up there. Or I have a black insert that fits in the hole. Orrrrr maybe some blue tape ;-)))
LMT