Dead Bonnie at Barber

Last Friday I rode my '07 Black to the Barber Vintage Festival, about four hours from home. I had no problems starting after breakfast and a gas stop. I unloaded my gear and set up camp. When I tried to start the bike to move it it just turned over but did not start. We managed to get the plugs out with a 19mm socket (no one had an 18) and both had fire although they were pretty crappy and wet with gas. I got new plugs at the swap meet but could not find even one 18mm deep well in the entire place.

I got the bike home on a friend's trailer and installed the plugs on Monday and it immediately started. I went for as ride and all was well up to about 80mph (I need a tach) where it stalled. When I backed off the throttle it fired ran well again. I stopped and started running through higher RPMs in all gears and it would stall and restart as I backed off the throttle.

Any suggestions in diagnosing this problem?

I am running a stock airbox, SB Dominator Touring cans with a Dynojet stage one that was installed by my dealer in New Orleans in 2007. I have since moved to Tennessee where the roads are much better.

Any push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Twodogs

Street Tracker
I found it hard buying a single 18mm spark plug socket (Most only coming in kits) but I did eventually get a Koken (Made in Japan) brand 3/8 drive.

I was just starting to pull the carbs to check for crap and I saw that the vaccum plug on the left intake was cracked. When I tried to pull it off it broke in several sections. Before taking anything else off or checking bigger problems I picked up a new plug at my dealer. I installed the plug this morning and rode the bike like it was stolen. No problems at all in about 150 miles today.

As far as the socket. I did not even try to locate a spark plug specific socket. I picked up an 18mm deep well at Lowes. It worked.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

RumRunner

Street Tracker
Glad you found the cracked vacuum cap. You should have just walked down to the pits, with all the guys racing Thruxton's you would have been able to find a spark plug socket pretty easily.

Wheelhorse

Scooter
I was just starting to pull the carbs to check for crap and I saw that the vaccum plug on the left intake was cracked. When I tried to pull it off it broke in several sections. Before taking anything else off or checking bigger problems I picked up a new plug at my dealer. I installed the plug this morning and rode the bike like it was stolen. No problems at all in about 150 miles today.

As far as the socket. I did not even try to locate a spark plug specific socket. I picked up an 18mm deep well at Lowes. It worked.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

When you said it picked up as you let off that usually describes a lean condition. Running high also describes a lean condition. Good job on being proactive and hunting down the problem and reporting back!

Was your airbox full of gas? Did you get Kenny O to touch your bike? I don't think youdid enough and I believe this problem will arise again. Perhaps at a Triumph rally in NC.

Just Say'in