DEAD battery

Trebo

Scooter
Hello gentlemen. So, my buddies and I hosted a BBQ that includes some of the local Vets in the neighborhood yesterday. My bike is at the curb, and a guy I sorta know whose dad is one of the gentlemen we are doing this for asks if it's OK if his 4-5 year-old son looks at it - "he loves motorcycles". "Sure!". Need to add that I have the bad habit of leaving the key in the ignition when the bike is somewhere nearby.

So at the end of the day, maybe 7-8 hours later, I go to put it back in the garage and the ignition is on. Shit. Nothing on the bump start attempt.

Does this battery stand a chance of still being able to hold charge if I put it on a charger, or am I just asking to get stranded sometime soon?

P.S. - Thanks for your responses to my summer jacket question.

Trebo

Scooter
Bona - So, running it down to nil didn't necessarily kill it? And if it accepts a charge, I can maybe trust it?

Bonafide

NBR founder
Yeah. That's kinda how they're designed. discharge, recharge, discharge, recharge, etc. BUT, if a cell has been lost - then it wont recharge to the necessary level for your bike to operate. I doubt your bike burnt the battery because you left the key on once - but hey, it's easy to check. You have an volt/ohm meter? Put the battery on a trickle charge over night, pull the charger and test it to see if the charge is holding.

wrplant

moped
My fun Friday

I have the same problem, only I don't have a neighbor's kid to blame....it was all me as I left the key in and on for 8 hours while I was at work.

Tried to boost it after work but the fuel pump made no sound, even though the lights went on, and the ignition would not engage (kill switch was in running position, was in neutral, side-stand was down). Unfortunately my friend started his car after I had started to crank my bike...(because that's what you do with a car he says).

We tried to push start it, forgetting it was an EFI model. Had headlight come to life and engine trying for a brief moment, but alas, no fuel.

Removed battery and brought it home to place it on the tender..... red light flashing indicates it is not connected properly (even though it is).

I guess I can safely assume that a new battery, and possibly new fuses are in order! :chair:

Kirkus51

Hooligan
My battery tender JR flashes red, until it "thinks" the battery is fully charged, then it glows that nice green.

I just spent $160 bucks on a battery for my new Cabrio. Had plenty of volts, but bad amps.

After discussing this with my brother who is a true motorhead, I'm also preparing to have my alternator go south too. Turns out if you battery is marginal (like mine has been for months now) it puts a ton of load on your alternator causing it to die an early death.

Last edited: