D9 is the man...(pics)

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Chris, as I was reading the first part of your reply, I'm thinking to myself, Man you can almost buy a whole new Bonnie for the cost of all that work! But I'm a lot like you in the fact that doing the work is a lot of fun for me. That's why I have the two old BSAs, you ride em, you fix em. Always keeps me working on some part of them.

Thanks for the info on the signal lights. Thats what I thought they were. I'm with you, I think the proportion on your bike is perfect. I'm planing on getting them this winter. Thanks again, Mark
Very true, why many don't go there. Incremental changes are one thing to make the bike more distinctive but reinventing the bike with rampant upgrades is another level. Then one has to ask if you really will enjoy the bike that much more once you have gone there. For me having gone down that road many times with different bikes and cars is...I in someways enjoy the bike for its weaknesses as much as its strengths. In other words, the flaws of the bike give it its character. No doubt you have read accounts of the Honda CB750 and even the Honda VFR. Both are said to be so perfect in their respective generations, they may in fact be a bit boring. Further, with more power, I would simply be hitting redline that much faster and would quickly adjust to the new found speed. I really can't ride much faster than I do without compromising my safety or getting in trouble with the law.
So one has to ask why we modify? Many reasons I guess. To make it our own and fit our eye better...the challenge of trying to improve on the factory design are a couple. Biggest reason? To keep the romance alive I think. We change it to reinvent it and rediscover it some more. Easiest path to rediscovery of motorcycling is to simply buy a stable mate for the bonnie versus rebuild it into something it wasn't from the beginning.
Cheers.

Last edited:

mark66

TT Racer
Agreed, also sometimes I find myself just getting a little bored with what I'm riding. I guess that kind of fits into what you said,keeping the romance alive. Just look at all the different designs D9 has for his brackets. :cheers: